Mar 04, 2024
University of Mobile offers a major and a minor in marine science. The University is a member of the Marine Environmental Sciences Consortium (MESC), a statewide group of higher education institutions affiliated with the Dauphin Island Sea Lab (DISL). Marine science courses are are offered at the university’s main campus in Mobile during the regular academic year and at DISL during the summer. Students seeking a major or minor in marine science should anticipate taking at least two courses at DISL during the summer academic period. Although the marine science program focuses on the biological processes of marine organisms, students will also be exposed to the chemical and physical aspects of marine science, as well the legal and safety regulations that apply to the marine environment. All marine science majors must complete two writing-intensive courses within the marine science curriculum as described in the Undergraduate Academic Information section of this catalog. See course descriptions for courses designated as writing-intensive. No BIO or MAR courses at the 100-level may be counted toward the major or minor in marine science.
University Core and General Education Electives
University of Mobile’s undergraduate program is comprised of the College of Arts and Sciences, College of Health Professions, Alabama School of the Arts, Grace Pilot School of Business, and School of Education. All University of Mobile undergraduate students are required to complete certain basic courses that apply uniformly to the Bachelor of Arts degree, the Bachelor of Science degree, the Bachelor of Science in Nursing, and the Bachelor of Music degree unless otherwise noted. These are identified as basic course (general education) requirements.
Requirements (Please see NOTES section below)
- Consult with your College/School advisor for specific and/or additional requirements relating to general education courses. For example, COM 101 is required for business, Christian studies, and education majors and teacher certification students. MA 110 is required for all majors in the School of Business. Education majors and teacher certification students have very specific requirements, particularly regarding English, Mathematics, History, and Laboratory Sciences.
- UM 101 University of Mobile 101 (1 semester hour) is required for new freshmen and transfer students.
- Students earning a Bachelor of Arts degree must also complete twelve semester hours of a foreign language. See specific requirements in the World Languages section of the catalog.
- Students earning a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in Performance must also complete six semester hours of a foreign language.
- Students earning a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in Studio Art, or Graphic Design must also complete six semester hours of a foreign language.
- Students earning a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in English, Creative Writing must also complete twelve semester hours of a foreign language.
- Students earning a Bachelor of Science degree in Management must also complete PSY 201. Students earning a Bachelor of Science degree in Marketing must also complete AR 226.
Requirements for a Major in Marine Science
A major in marine science requires:
In addition to the above requirements, each Biology major must take a minimum of 16 hours of BIO electives, 12 hours of which must be at the 300 - 400 level, and 8 hours of which must be taken at the Dauphin Island Sea Lab (DISL). Marine science students are not required to complete a minor; however, due to the interdisciplinary nature of the curriculum, a minor in chemistry is recommended.
Hours to Degree
123 hours are needed to graduate with a Bachelor of Science degree in Marine Science.
A minor is not required.