DESCRIPTION OF THE MARKETPLACE MINISTRY MAJOR. A Bachelor of Science major designed to prepare working adults with the tools needed to expand the influence of Christ in the church, the community, and the workplace. Adult students have the opportunity to complete a bachelor’s degree for active Christian service, while gaining valuable leadership training to benefit themselves, their churches, and their organizations. This comprehensive major includes training in ministry, missions, counseling, and leadership skills. No minor is required for Marketplace Ministry students.
STUDENT LEARNING OUTCOMES FOR THE MARKETPLACE MINISTRY MAJOR. The student learning outcomes for Marketplace Ministry are comparable to those of Intercultural Studies and Theology majors:
- Demonstrate competence in Bible knowledge, including: biblical literacy, including historical, contextual, and literary parameters, and principles of biblical interpretation.
- Demonstrate competence in Church history/theology knowledge, including the historic doctrines of the Christian faith and the people, events, and ideas that have shaped the Christian church.
- Demonstrate competence in knowledge of the basic parameters of Christian worldview, and the integration of Christian faith with learning.
- Demonstrate competence in written communication, oral communication, and critical thinking skills.
- Demonstrate competence in Christian ministry, service, and leadership skills.
University Core and General Education Electives
The University of Mobile’s undergraduate program is comprised of the College of Arts and Sciences, School of Business, School of Christian Studies, School of Education, School of Music, School of Nursing, School of Worship Leadership, and Adult and Professional Studies. All University of Mobile undergraduate students are required to complete certain basic courses that apply uniformly to the Bachelor of Arts degree, the Bachelor of Business Administration degree, the Bachelor of Science degree, the Bachelor of Science in Nursing, and the Bachelor of Music degree unless otherwise noted. These are identified as basic course (general education) requirements.
Requirements (Please see NOTES section below)
- Consult with your College/School advisor for specific and/or additional requirements relating to general education courses. For example, COM 101 is required for business, Christian ministries, and education majors and teacher certification students. MA 110 is required for all majors in the School of Business. Education majors and teacher certification students have very specific requirements, particularly regarding English, Mathematics, History, and Laboratory Sciences.
- FS 100 Freshman Seminar (1 semester hour) is required for freshmen only.
- Students earning a Bachelor of Arts degree must also take twelve semester hours of a foreign language. See specific requirements in the World Languages section of the catalog.
The Major in Marketplace Ministries will Include