2016-2017 Undergraduate & Graduate Catalog & Student Handbook 
    Feb 28, 2020  
2016-2017 Undergraduate & Graduate Catalog & Student Handbook [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Student Handbook


University Community Standards

The University of Mobile is a Christian community dedicated to supporting the intellectual, spiritual, cultural, and personal growth of students in their search for meaningful careers.

Together, faculty, staff and students seek to honor Christ by integrating faith, learning, and leadership.

The University relies on the teachings of Scripture as the supreme standard for all human conduct and relationships. Thus it provides the framework for our community standards and expectations. (II Timothy 3:16-17)

We believe that Scripture teaches that certain characteristics are to be manifested by members of a Christian community. (Galatians 5:22-23)

In addition, we also believe certain behaviors to be prohibited by Scripture. (Galatians 5:19-21, I Corinthians 6:9-10)


Students are subject to all university and residence hall regulations from the time they arrive on-campus whether they are registered or not.

Any student who fails to comply with the rules and regulations of the university or is not able to become compatible with the institution’s philosophy may forfeit the privilege to continue his/her studies at the University of Mobile. The University reserves the right to refuse or revoke admittance and/or dismiss any person who does not conform either to the stated guidelines and regulations governing student conduct, or to the expressed principles, policies, and expectations of the University.

Failure to become familiar with University policies does not excuse a student from the regulations described in the handbook or catalog nor any penalty resulting from violation of the regulations of the handbook, the catalog, and other student publications that are subject to modification at any time.

The provisions of this student handbook do not constitute a contract, expressed or implied, between the University of Mobile and any applicant, student, student’s family, or faculty member.

The handbook is a general information publication only, and it is not intended to nor does it contain all regulations that relate to students.

The University reserves the right to alter rules, regulations, policies and procedures at any time without further notice. It is the responsibility of the student to reference the most updated version of the student handbook, which is available at www.umobile.edu/myum.

Compliance With Federal Laws

The University of Mobile does not unlawfully discriminate  on the basis of race, color, sex, national or ethnic origin, disability, genetic information, veteran status, or age in the administration  or application  of its educational programs and policies, admissions policies, employment  policies, scholarship and loan programs and athletic and University-administered programs.

Consistent with its Christian mission and organization, UM is exempt from the religious provisions of Title IX pursuant to the implementing  regulation at 34 C.F.R. Section 106.12, which provides the Title IX does not apply to an educational controlled  by a religious organization to the extent that application  of Title IX would be inconsistent  with the controlling  organization’s religious tenets.  The following persons have been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies:

Title IX Coordinator  - Employees

Diane Black, Director of Human Resources

University of Mobile, Weaver Hall, Accounting  Suite



Title IX Coordinator  - Students

Kim Leousis, Vice President for Campus Life & Enrollment Services

University of Mobile, Weaver Hall, Enrollment Suite



Disability Access and Accommodation

Julia Lucy, Section 504 Coordinator

University of Mobile, Weaver Hall, Enrollment Suite


Staff Leadership for Campus Life

The executive leadership team for enrollment and campus life works together with the university community to provide the highest quality student experience. This team consists of the Vice President, Associate VP for Enrollment Services, Dean of Students, Director of Campus Ministries and Leadership Development, Director of Residential Life, Student Relations Supervisor, the Director of Student Retention, and the Director of Enrollment Services. Our goal is to provide programming, services and resources that are relevant to the student body. We engage our student leaders as partners in addressing the interests and needs expressed by the student body. The executive leadership team conducts evaluations of our services and programs and uses the feedback to improve the student experience. The executive leadership team also seeks to foster a leadership culture for our students, which provides opportunities for mentoring and personal development.

Student Leadership

Campus Life is made up of nine different departments; Student Government (SGA), Campus Ministries, Campus Life Publicity, Residential Life, Athletic Ministry & Involvement, Intramurals, Campus Activities (CAB), Sports Broadcasting, and Student Success Center. Campus Life is also responsible for summer staff and Ram Rush, UM’s New Student Orientation week. Each area is led by a team of students and facilitated by a Campus Life Coordinator.

The Campus Life staff and student leaders form one team designed to provide University of Mobile students the best campus experience possible. There are over 160 total student leader positions within Campus Life. Some are elected by the student body, but most are selected through an application and interview process each Spring. The SGA constitution (found on MyUM) provides the details for elected leaders. Campus Life leaders must also obtain the recommendation of a UM faculty or staff member. All student leaders must exhibit a lifestyle that reflects the University’s mission and philosophy and maintain a minimum of a 2.5 gpa in order to be considered for a leadership position or to retain their position of leadership once selected. Furthermore, student leaders who are sanctioned because of a violation of community standards may be censured, removed, or suspended from their leadership position by the University administration or by majority vote of the Student Government Association.

Student Information Desk

The Student Information Desk is located on the 1st floor of Weaver Hall. This area is a one-stop shop for students, parents, and alumni to have questions answered, sign up for events, or get connected with the campus office that can best meet their needs. Several offices are conveniently located adjacent to the Student Information Desk. They are the Student Success Center, Admissions, Financial Aid, Campus Life and the office for the Vice President of Enrollment and Campus Life.

Student Complaints

The University of Mobile strives to promptly respond to student complaints, especially written ones. To address and resolve typical complaints as quickly as possible, students should:

  1. Contact the office responsible for overseeing the immediate area causing the concern and express your concern or complaint with the supervisor for that office. The student with a concern or potential appeal should first discuss the issue(s) with the professor or staff member. If the issue is unresolved, the student may appeal to the Dean of the College or School or director/supervisor of the staff member. If the matter is still unresolved, the student may then appeal to the Vice President of the specific area. If the matter cannot be resolved, the student may request a final appeal with President of the University.
  2. Students who are unsure of which Vice President to contact, should complete a student complaint form (found at MyUM under documents.) This form can be turned in to the Student Information Desk in Weaver Hall. Any faculty or staff member can also submit a form on behalf of a student. The Dean of Students will then direct the complaint to the appropriate Vice President for an investigation and response. Students can expect a response time of five business days or less. If a response cannot be made within that time frame the student will be notified by the Vice President (or designee).
  3. If students are uncertain to whom or where to address their written complaints, they should contact the Dean of Students (across from the Student Information Desk in Weaver Hall) 251.442.2429. The student and Dean of Students (or designee) will schedule a meeting to discuss the complaint if the student desires. The Dean of Students (or designee) will help the student in resolving the complaint. If unable to address the complaint, the Dean of Students (or designee) will assist the student in directing the complaint to the appropriate University official or office.

        Students with complaints involving the following issues are advised to contact:

  • Accessibility for those with disabilities, ADA Coordinator, Weaver Hall, 251.442.2284
  • Academics, Vice President for Academic Affairs, Weaver Hall, 251.442.2218
  • Athletics, Vice President of Operations and Athletics, 251.442.2945
  • Dining Services, Director of Dining Services, 251.442.2261
  • Discrimination Complaints, Vice President for Enrollment, 251.442.2225
  • Residential Facilities, Director of Residential Life, 251.442.2269
  • Residential Staff , Director of Residential Life, 251.442.2269
  • Facilities, Campus Operations, 251.442.2245
  • Financial Aid, Associate Vice President for Financial Aid, 251.442.2370
  • Fees/Bills, Business Office, 251.442.2213
  • Parking Citation Appeals - https://www.permitsales.net/UofMobile/violations
  • Sexual Harassment, Dean of Students, 251.442.2429
  • Student Conduct Code Violation Appeal, Dean of Students, 251.442.2429
  • Wireless Internet Service in the Residence Halls, Director of Residential Life, 251.442.2269
  1. If the student feels that the complaint has not been resolved at the local level, the student has the right to file a complaint with one of the following agencies:

Student-Athlete Complaint

  1. The following procedures have been established to help guide a student-athlete through a potential grievance (with a staff member of the Athletic Department) and hopefully settle the matter in a professional manner:

The student-athlete should meet with the staff member with whom he/she has a grievance. If the grievance is not resolved to the satisfaction of the student-athlete, the student-athlete should write a statement in full detail about the grievance and submit that statement to the Athletic Director. The Athletic Director’s office will then set up an appointment between the student-athlete and the AD. After the first meeting between the student-athlete and the AD, a second meeting may be called to include the person against whom the grievance has been filed.

If the grievance is still not resolved to the satisfaction of the student-athlete, the student-athlete may submit his/her statement to the Vice President of Operations and Athletics. The Vice President will contact the student if a response to the student-athlete will take longer than five (5) working days and may subsequently call for a meeting between any or all of the aforementioned parties.

If the grievance is still not resolved to the satisfaction of the student athlete, he/she may submit a written appeal to the President.

  1. Students who wish to file a complaint with the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges should complete the Commission Complaint Form and send two print copies to the President, Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges, 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, GA 30033-4097. (To access the Commission complaint policy, procedures, and the Complaint Form, please see Complaint Procedures against the Commission or it’s Accredited Institutions http://sacscoc.org/pdf/081705/complaintpolicy.pdf). Please read the document carefully before submitting a complaint. Note that the complaint policy only addresses significant, documented, alleged non-compliance with the SACSCOC accreditation standards policies or procedures. Complainants are expected to have attempted to resolve the issue through the institution complaint processes before filing a complaint with SACSCOC. The SACSCOC complaint process is not intended to be used to involve the Commission in disputes between individuals and member institutions or to cause the Commission to interpose itself as a reviewing authority in individual matters; nor does the policy allow the Commission to seek redress on an individual’s behalf. The primary purpose of the SACSCOC complaint procedure is to acquire valuable information regarding an accredited institution’s possible non-compliance with accreditation standards, policies and procedures rather than to resolve individual disputes. Complaints must be tied to specific standard numbers from The Principles of Accreditation: Foundations for Quality Enhancement.

Student Services

Dining Services

Food service is available through Ingram Dining Hall, the Bedsole Commons and Ram Deli in Weaver Hall during posted hours. View menu and dining hours at: www.umobile.edu/myum

All full-time traditional undergraduate students are required to participate in a dining plan. Students use the campus card for dining services on campus. Commuting students and employees of the University are invited to eat in the cafeteria at the posted meal prices. Cafeteria hours are subject to modification for special events and holidays.  Meal plans are also available for any student, faculty, and staff through the Business Office.

  • The sharing of food with guests (not on a meal plan) is not allowed.
  • All guests are required to pay the proper amount for their meals or have their campus card scanned before entering the food service area.
  • Only those people who are on a meal plan or pay to eat are allowed in the food service area during meal times.
  • Meal plans are to be used only by the purchaser.
  • Meals are not transferable.
  • To go meals must be taken out of the dining facility.
  • The filling of personal cups or containers with food or beverage in the cafeteria is prohibited.
  • Food, dishes, eating utensils, glasses and trays removed from the cafeteria will result in a $10.00 fine for each item.

The Food Committee is appointed each academic year by the SGA. This group of students, faculty and staff works together in addressing issues pertaining to dining services. Students, faculty and staff who have concerns with the food service should contact any member of the Food Committee or the SGA president.

Java City (Bedsole Library 1st Floor)

A full service coffee shop is available on the first floor of the library. The facility offers room for small meetings and study, with live music. Ten iMac® computers are available for student use, as well as full printing and copying services.   Hours of Operation: 7:30am-5pm Monday - Thursday, 7:30am-3:30pm Friday, closed Saturday, 5pm-10pm Sunday.

The Grill (Bedsole Library 1st Floor)

Another great meal option on campus is the university Grill.   Burgers, fries, chicken fingers and more are served on the first floor of the Bedsole Commons.  Students also gather on occasion to watch UM athletics or National Championship games on one of three huge flat screen TV’s. Hours are posted outside each semester.  Hours of Operation: 10:30am-9pm Monday - Thursday, 10:30am-7pm Friday, closed Saturday - Sunday.

Ram Deli

Ram Deli is a full service sandwich shop located on the first floor of Weaver Hall.  Made to order sandwiches, fountain drinks, chips, snacks and even sushi are served Monday through Friday. Hours of Operation: 10am-5pm Monday - Thursday, 10am-1:30pm Friday, closed Saturday - Sunday.

Ingram Dining Hall

Ingram Dining Hall is the primary dining facility on campus.  Meet your friends for breakfast, lunch, and dinner at our comfortable all-you-care-to-eat location.  Watch the preparation of your made-to-order meal or try one of our home-style entrées.  Your favorites from the grill, deli, or salad bar are always there for you too. Hours of Operation: 7am-7pm Monday - Friday, 10:30am-1:30pm & 4:30pm-6:30pm Saturday, 10:30am-2pm & 4:30-6:30pm Sunday.

E-mail Service

All official University of Mobile communications regarding student accounts, policies, and communication with instructors will go through your University of Mobile RamsMail email address. To access your RamsMail email account, go to mail.rams.umobile.edu. Your username will be your first name initial, last name (up to 12 letters), and the last 2 digits of your student ID at rams.umobile.edu (i.e. jcollege56@rams.umobile.edu). Your password will be your first name initial and last name initial (all caps) and your student ID number (i.e. JC123456).

Health Services (Rosemary Adams Building)

It is our aim to promote and help maintain the physical well-being of our students. Any student with a health problem requiring special care or a medical condition that may in any way be a risk to others must provide information about his/her medical circumstances to the Campus Nurse or the Dean of Students. Confidentiality will be strictly observed.

Services Provided:

  • Community Agency Information and Referral
  • Doctor and Clinic Referrals
  • Wellness Education Programs
  • Blood pressure checks, blood glucose checks, treatment for minor conditions such as colds, sore throats, headaches and first aid for injuries.


Campus Nurse Contact Information:

251.442.2253 or 251.442.2337

Hours: R.N. is on duty weekdays from 10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.

Campus Cards (Information Technology Office)

Upon enrolling, new students are issued an UMobile Campus Card. These cards serve as the official identification card for UMobile students, faculty and staff. All students must have a Campus Card. Campus Cards must be presented to attend campus activities, use the library, use the fitness facilities, use the swimming pool, receive service in the Cafeteria, and participate in visitation in the residence halls. In addition, the UMobile Campus Card contains “campus cash” which can be used to purchase items at various venues on campus, including vending machines, copy machines and printing centers. Campus Cards must be presented on request to University faculty, staff, or security personnel. This card is not transferable and will be confiscated if presented by anyone other than the person to whom issued. Replacement cards are $20.00 and may be obtained at the Information Technologies Office, weekdays from 8:00 a.m.- 4:30 p.m.

Please visit MyUM/Campus Center for more information about the UMobile Campus Card and procedures for deactivating lost or stolen cards.

Postal Service (Weaver Hall)

The mailroom, located near the front entrance of Weaver Hall, provides mail services such as postage, envelopes, and express carrier service. Outgoing mail leaves the campus twice each day.  Residents in Avery Woods and The Parks will be assigned mailboxes in the Weaver Hall mailroom.  All other residents will be assigned mailboxes within their residential facility.  Mail is delivered from the mailroom to the residential facility mailboxes every day. Once a mailbox has been secured, resident students should use their box number on all correspondence. Any students missing mail should notify the Campus Life Office immediately.  Hours of Operation: 8am-4:30pm Monday-Friday.

Students with Disabilities (Weaver Hall)

The Student Success office coordinates reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities as defined in Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. Details related to those services can be found under the Student Success Center section of this handbook and/or through the Student Success Office.

Veteran Services (Student Information Desk)

The University of Mobile is approved for instruction by the Veterans Administration. Veterans or dependents of veterans who have questions or desire assistance relative to Veterans Administration regulations should contact the Financial Aid Office. For more information contact 251.442.2222 or email askfinacialaid@umobile.edu.

University Bookstore (Bedsole Library 1st Floor)

The University Bookstore is also located on the first floor of the Bedsole Commons.  Students can purchase class textbooks, university gear and snacks.  Hours are posted outside each semester.  Hours of Operation: 8:30am-6pm, Monday-Thursday, 10am-4pm Friday.

J.L. Bedsole Library

The J. L. Bedsole Library’s primary emphasis is establishing and maintaining library support of the academic curriculum in undergraduate, graduate, professional, continuing education and specialized degree granting programs as well as online courses.

The library also seeks to provide instruction in research skills that serve students during their studies at UM and in the paths they choose after graduation. It seeks to make the critical pursuit of knowledge and enlightenment a positive and rewarding experience that encourages an awareness of the usefulness of libraries in the life-long search for knowledge. Hours of Operation: 7:45am-10pm Monday-Thursday, 7:45pm-4:30pm Friday, 10am-5pm Saturday, closed Sunday.

Golf Driving Range

A self-service facility with a putting green, chipping area and a down range practice area is available for students. Golf balls are available for a small fee.

Fitness Center (Bedsole Library 1st Floor)

The University of Mobile offers a modern fitness facility complete with multiple treadmills, elliptical machines, and stationary bicycles.  Additionally the university fitness center offers Matrix single station fitness equipment as well as limited free weights.  There is also a full bathroom and shower for commuters wishing to utilize the fitness center before or between classes. Students wishing to use the fitness center must have a student ID to enter.  Hours of Operation: 5am-12am Monday-Sunday.


The gymnasium is home of the Rams basketball and volleyball teams. Access to the gymnasium for use by UM students, faculty or staff is limited.  Hours vary according to class, intramurals and intercollegiate athletic schedules and are posted each academic period. For details on gym availability students may contact the Athletic Office at 251.442.2278.  Each UM student or staff is allowed one guest.  No unauthorized use of the gym is allowed.  If you do not have your UM ID, you will be asked to leave.  

Intramural Complex

The University intramural complex consists of three fully lighted fields. There are two Bermuda grass fields used for football, soccer and Frisbee. Also included in the complex is a full sized softball field with a brick backstop and covered dugouts. A portable outfield fence allows for complex adaptations, and bleachers make it easy and enjoyable to view all of the events. The intramural complex is open to UM students with a student ID for open play when intramural athletics is not scheduled.

Ram Hall

Ram Hall can entertain up to 450 guests in a versatile, traditional auditorium style atmosphere. Questions on reserving Ram Hall should be directed to the Campus Operations Office or 442.2245.

Swimming Pool

The University swimming pool is provided only for students, faculty, and staff; no outside groups are permitted. No unauthorized use of the pool is allowed.  If you do not have your UM ID, you will be asked to leave.  The swimming pool is open at regularly scheduled times which are announced and posted. When the pool is open, the University provides a qualified lifeguard for supervision. Swimming in the pool without supervision of a qualified and approved lifeguard or when the pool is “closed” is prohibited and constitutes a violation of University regulations. A sand volleyball court is located adjacent to the swimming pool. Hours of Operation: 12pm-6pm Tuesday-Sunday from Spring Break - Fall Break.

Tennis Courts

A lighted tennis complex, including a championship court with bleachers, is available for use by students on a first come, first served basis. The University tennis team has priority for use of courts.

Domestic Student Insurance

Low cost health insurance is available to students through several private companies. For application information, students should check MyUM to connect to available insurance links. Every student is strongly encouraged to enroll at the time of registration unless covered by appropriate insurance.

International Student Insurance

International student athletes are billed automatically for required health insurance. The international student athletes account will be billed at the beginning of each academic period to cover the cost of insurance from August until May of each year. International students, that are not participating in intercollegiate athletics, must submit proof of insurance at the time of application to the university and must have continual coverage for the duration of each academic year. It is the international student’s responsibility to understand the benefits and exclusions of their health policy and to comply with all insurance procedures for claims to be paid in accordance with their policy. 

Student Policies

On-Campus Demonstrations and Protests

Discussion and expression of all views is permitted within the University, subject only to requirements for the maintenance of order. Events conducted on the campus must not:

  • disturb or interfere with the regular academic or institutional programs of the University
  • interfere with the flow of pedestrian and vehicular traffic on the sidewalks and streets and at places of entry and exit to University buildings; or
  • harass or intimidate the person or persons being solicited.

If an individual or group violates the provisions of this policy, the appropriate University official may prohibit the offender from engaging in any solicitation/protest on the University campus. In the case of a repeated violation of these rules, the following sanctions shall apply:

  • The Dean of Students may suspend or cancel recognition status of an offending student organization.
  • The Dean of Students may suspend the use of any University property, resources or facility by an offender.

Intramural Insurance

All intramural participants are required to provide insurance information prior to competing. Health insurance coverage for intramural sports is the sole responsibility of the participant. Notification of insurance changes to intramural staff coordinators is required and failure to keep this information current will result in disqualification of play.

Insurance Requirements For Athletes

Every student-athlete must maintain a current health insurance policy in order to participate in athletics. Failure to submit the appropriate documentation may result in a delay in eligibility to play. For more information see the Student-Athlete Handbook.

Intellectual Property

The University of Mobile supports the intellectual property rights of students. Intellectual property created, made, or originated by a student is usually the property of the student except in the following circumstances: 1) the work is created as a specific requirement of employment, 2) the author has voluntarily transferred the copyright, in whole or in part to the institution, or 3) the university has contributed to a “joint work” under the Copyright Act.

Public Relations

Individuals or groups requesting publicity in University publications or in area television, newspapers and radio must contact the Public Relations & Marketing Office at 251.442.2210.

The Public Relations Office frequently takes photos and videos of students for use in promotional materials as needed. It is the responsibility of the student to notify the Public Relations & Marketing Office to request that photos not be taken.

Postings & Publicity

All advertisements, announcements, and posters must be approved and stamped at the Student Information Desk.

Scheduling and publicity of any campus event open to all students are approved through Campus Life. Postings must be placed in properly designated locations (i.e. bulletin boards).

  • Postings placed on departmental bulletin boards must be approved by the respective department.
  • Postings are not permitted on doors and ceilings, or painted, wooden, marble, or glass surfaces.
  • Postings must be removed within twenty four (24) hours after an advertised event has taken place.
  • Posted materials which do not bear the Campus Life stamp are subject to removal.
  • Only University approved organizations are permitted to advertise events on-campus.
  • Failure to adhere to the advertisement, announcement, and poster policy may result in loss of posting privileges.

Advertising and Solicitation On-Campus

Individuals, businesses or organizations wishing to sell, inform, or recruit on campus property must be approved by the Dean of Students or a Vice President. The University has the right to deny any request for campus solicitation.

Facility Reservation

Reserving Facilities On-Campus - University approved organizations are allowed to use University facilities, but must reserve the facility in advance. Certain housekeeping fees may apply. To reserve a facility, call Campus Operations at 251.442.2245.

Campus Life

Student Success Center (Located In Weaver Hall)

The mission of the University of Mobile Student Success Center (SSC) is to guide students from start to finish by providing services in the areas of individual counseling, career exploration, and academic and interpersonal skill-building. The ultimate success for a student is graduating from the University of Mobile fully prepared for a career. The goal of the SSC staff is to provide services that allow students to grow academically, personally, spiritually, and professionally on the journey toward success.

Freshman Seminar

Freshman Seminar is a great way to get acquainted with the University of Mobile and get to know other UM students. The course is designed to assist first-year students in making the transition from high school to college. Freshman Seminar seeks to enhance the learning experience by providing opportunities for students to develop the skills, values, behaviors, and attitudes necessary for success at the University of Mobile. Topics include study skills, time management, budgeting, health and wellness, transitioning into adulthood, Christian worldview, and career exploration and confirmation. Students will hear from various University officials regarding UM procedures and will learn to access MyUM and other campus resources.

This course is offered during the Fall academic period and is required for entering first time freshman and transfer students with 15 hours or less. See the UM catalog for a list of exemptions. This course is also available in the Spring semester for new students entering in the Spring.

Career Development

The Office of Career Development provides students and alumni with career advisement that emphasizes choosing a major, plotting a career path, constructing and perfecting a resume, and sharpening interview skills. Students are encouraged to make an appointment to have their resume reviewed and to participate in Career Development workshops that are offered each semester. In addition, students interested in finding part-time jobs while in school or full time jobs after graduation, should check the Job Board on MyUM, as well as the job bulletin board in Weaver Hall first floor. For more information contact the office of Career Development and the Career Development Coordinator, Brenda Davis, at 251.442.2877.

Counseling Services

The Student Success Center is available to provide referrals and assist currently enrolled students in obtaining counseling appropriate to their needs, and to provide consultation and crisis intervention services - 251.442.2639.

Academic Success Coaching

The Student Success Center is available to provide Academic Success Coaching (ASC) to students wishing to improve their grade point average.  ASC includes strategies for goal setting, study skills and habits, time management, and test anxiety.  Additional campus resources may be identified and assistance offered in utilizing these resources.  Contact the Coordinator of Student Support Services at 251.442.2284.

Disability Support Services 

It is the policy of the University of Mobile to provide reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities as defined in Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. The University coordinates support resources for students with disabilities and is an accommodation resource for faculty and administration. Eligibility for service requires that prior documentation of the disability be reviewed and accepted by the disabilities coordinator.


It is the responsibility of the student to exercise initiative in identifying and obtaining support services.  The student must arrange to have all documentation of his/her disability forwarded to Student Support Services (SSS).  The student must make an appointment with SSS following registration to discuss possible accommodations.  The student should arrange to meet with the Student Support Services Coordinator after the first week of classes to determine any changes to accommodations.  Students will be able to obtain letters for course instructors within 48 hours of request once official documentation has been received and approved.


It is the responsibility of the student to meet with course instructors at the beginning of the semester to provide information regarding their disability and to discuss accommodations and strategies that will be appropriate.  The Student Success Center will provide supportive assistance when requested by the student.


Student Support Services Coordinator - Julia Lucy 251.442.2284, email- jlucy@umobile.edu


Ram Rush

Ram Rush is the official University of Mobile New Student Orientation.  It is organized by the University of Mobile’s Campus Life Department and is full of concerts, free food, free give-aways, games, new friends, orientation information and tons of fun!  Ram Rush exists to immediately connect incoming freshman and transfer students with Campus Life at the University of Mobile. Before class begins, students spend time becoming familiar with all aspects of campus life as well as making life-long friendships.  Ram Rush proves to be a great way to start the college experience at the University of Mobile! Ram Rush Staff Coordinator - Allie Normand at 251.442.2485 or anormand@umobile.edu

Campus Activities Board

The University of Mobile Campus Activities Board (CAB) provides student entertainment, activities, and programming. CAB seeks to provide the campus body with a balanced social, cultural, recreational, and educational co-curriculum through the scheduled events. Examples of some events include Covers (a highly anticipated student talent show), Crawfish Boil (one of UM’s most popular events), and Monster’s Ball (a costume themed dance).  CAB also provides leadership opportunities for students to develop skills in public relations and special events planning. Campus Life Coordinator contact - Tyler Crane at 251.442.2999 or tcrane@umobile.edu

Campus Ministries

Nearly 25 Christian denominations are represented among the University’s student body. Campus ministries exists to encourage all students to understand the gospel and live out their faith in the campus community as well as the world. Students are challenged to live a lifestyle of service, sacrifice and giving. The University offers means for connections with: God, other students, and a world needing the redemption that Jesus Christ offers. A few examples of the experiences and opportunities students have through Campus Ministries include: True Spin (a weekly campus Bible study and worship service), Project Serve (a one day campus wide service project), Urban Plunge (a weekend service project in a regional US city), The Bridge (a week long mission trip to a major metropolitan US city), and YHM (a 14 week discipleship program and 3 week backpacking trip through Europe). Campus Life Coordinators contact - Chase Alford at 251.442.2202 or calford@umobile.edu and Hannah Stokes at 251.442.2562 or hstokes@umobile.edu  

University Athletics

The University of Mobile athletics program competes in the Southern States Athletic Conference of the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics, and seeks to provide student athletes the chance to excel in the classroom and on the court. The Rams compete in men’s and women’s basketball, men’s and women’s cross country, men’s and women’s golf, men’s and women’s soccer, men’s and women’s tennis, softball, volleyball, track, and baseball. With eight NAIA National Championships, over 300 All-Americans, over 100 Scholar-Athletes and 60 conference championships, the University’s commitment to athletics is obvious.

Intramurals Athletics

The University of Mobile offers students the opportunity to compete in softball, flag football, basketball, dodge ball, soccer, volleyball, and ultimate Frisbee. Ideas for other sports are welcome. Students interested in competing should visit the Campus Life Office. In order to participate, students must complete the appropriate forms and waivers which may be printed from MyUM. These forms, insurance information and emergency contacts must be submitted by the first game in order to participate - no exceptions. Campus Life Coordinator contact - Zach Gaines at 251.442.2311 or zgaines@umobile.edu

Athletics Ministry and Involvement

A significant part of UM Campus Life is the University Athletics Ministry. The Athletics Ministry and Involvement team promotes and serves UM athletes. Students can be involved by showing support at games, along with planning and promoting events for games. Examples of some of the events and activities promoted and organized by the Athletics Ministry team include: Pre-Game Tailgates, Athletic Convocation (a first of the year event for all athletes), Halftime Games, and Silence of The Rams (a special emphasis basketball game against one of our greatest rivals where students fill the stands wearing the same UM color and unleash a fury of fan support).  Campus Life Coordinators contact - Kalia Jones at 251.442.2656 or kjones@umobile.edu and Kris McAuley at 251.442.2814 or kmcauley@umobile.edu

Campus Life Student Leadership

Student leadership is essential to all that Campus Life does.  The Campus Life staff is committed to developing the next generation of leaders through training, investment, and allowing students to assist in planning all Campus Life activities.  There are approximately 135 Campus Life student leader positions available.  Most of those are selected through an interview and application process each spring semester.  If you want to lead and learn to lead then do not miss your chance to get involved and apply in the spring!

Student Government Association

The Student Government Association provides an official voice through which student opinions are expressed. Serving as a liaison between the administration and the student body, SGA functions as a vehicle for involving students in the University decision making process, promotes student activities, and grants & revokes charters for student organizations.

Elections are held each Spring for the positions of President, Vice-President and Senators. Senators represent the seven academic schools or colleges at the University of Mobile. There are 18 senate seats available and students serve for a term of one year. The President also appoints a cabinet to assist him/her each year.  Students wishing to run for a Student Government Association position must complete an application; support the University’s mission; philosophy and student code of conduct as demonstrated through their lifestyle; meet minimum GPA requirements; and participate in a campus-wide debate (president and vice president).  Senators must also receive a recommendation from the Academic Dean of the school or college they will represent.

University Chapel

The University of Mobile exists to produce graduates grounded in the Christian worldview, centered on Christ, submitted to the Word of God, and engaging the World. In keeping with the stated mission of the institution, the purpose of chapel is to offer students well-planned programs providing for Christian growth and maturation.

Chapel Meeting Schedule

Offered every fall and spring semester, Chapel services are held on Wednesdays at 11:00 a.m. and noon in Ram Hall. Undergraduate students who are enrolled in 12 or more hours are to attend a minimum of 10 chapel services each semester.

Chapel Requirements

Students attending fewer than 10 chapel services during a semester will receive communication concerning chapel attendance accountability and will be expected to attend 10 chapels during the following semester in addition to the number of chapel services missed the prior semester. Following this warning, attending fewer than 10 chapel services during a following semester will result in a student being placed on University probation. Students on probation are expected to attend 10 chapels during a semester in addition to the number of chapel services missed the prior semester and are not allowed to hold leadership positions (Campus Life Leadership, Residential Life, Athletics, Intramurals, SGA, Ensembles, etc.) Those on probation for more than two semesters will face the possibility of suspension from the University for one semester.

Chapel attendance exemptions and reductions are available for students who are student teaching, commuters taking Tuesday/Thursday classes only, studying abroad, meeting full-time internship requirements, or taking clinicals on Wednesdays. A chapel attendance exemption/ reduction form is due by September 2 (fall) and January 27 (spring) each semester. Graduate Students and Adult and Professional Studies students are exempt from chapel.

For more information about chapel requirements, please contact Chase Alford at (251) 442-2202 or calford@umobile.edu

Guidelines for Campus Organizations

Campus organizations are a vital part of student life at the University of Mobile. Student organizations are coordinated by the Campus Life Office located in Weaver Hall. The Dean of Students maintains a master list of organizations and provides resources and assistance to both new and existing organizations. Nearly 30 clubs representing varied interests are currently recognized by the University. A portion of the student activity fee is budgeted to help fund University recognized clubs and organizations. After a club or organization has been approved by the SGA and University of Mobile administration, that group is eligible to submit a request to the SGA for funding.


Information on the criteria for such funding and assistance in preparing a budget request can be obtained by contacting the Dean of Students for a copy of the University of Mobile Manual For Student Clubs and Advisors. Groups interested in SGA approval are encouraged to submit their budget request during the Fall or Spring. Funding is limited, and budget requests are handled on a first come, first served basis.


Student clubs or organizations must request, receive permission, and be officially recognized by the University of Mobile administration and SGA before they may meet on campus, advertise, host fundraisers, distribute or post materials, or use any University facilities for their activities or events. All such clubs or organizations and their activities or events must be consistent with the University’s mission and philosophy, and must be and remain in compliance with the University of Mobile Student Handbook, and any policies or procedures promulgated by the University. The University reserves the right to refuse the use of its facilities for any reason to any student club, organization, activity or event.


Consistent with the Student Handbook, all students, student clubs and organizations, faculty and staff of the University of Mobile, have a responsibility to uphold the moral and ethical standards of this institution and personally confront those who do not.


No student club or organization shall be approved, recognized or permitted to meet on campus, advertise, distribute or post materials, or use University facilities if the statements, positions, doctrines, policies, constitutions, bylaws, platforms, activities or events of such club or organization, its parent, affiliate, chapter or similarly named group (even if the similarly named group is not the actual parent, affiliate or chapter) are inconsistent or in conflict with the distinctly Christian mission of the University, Student Handbook, or the policies and procedures promulgated by the University.

Chartering A New Club

Students interested in forming a new club at the University of Mobile must complete the following steps for official recognition:

  1. Secure a full-time member of the faculty or staff who will serve as advisor to your club. A faculty sponsor must be present at ALL meetings and social functions of the club. The potential sponsor will need to submit a letter of support for the club. These can be delivered to the SGA via on-campus mail or emailed to any of the above locations.
  2. Formulate a constitution under which your club will operate. This may also be delivered to the SGA via on-campus mail or emailed to any of the above locations.
  3. Complete the Request for Club Charter form. This is available on MyUM (Request For Club Charter).
  4. The letter from the club’s faculty advisor, constitution, and completed Request for Club Charter form will serve as the club’s application for university recognition and will be reviewed by the SGA Vice President. The Dean of Students (and designees) along with the SGA Senate will then make the final approval to grant the charter.
  5. After the club has been chartered, it is recommended that clubs develop a webpage through MyUM. This will be a valuable resource for recruiting members and publicizing activities.

Note: Official recognition does not guarantee that an organization will receive supplemental funds.

Supervision and Control of University Related Extracurricular Activities & Campus Organizations

The University reserves the right to exercise supervision and control of University sanctioned organizations and/or extracurricular activities and events conducted on or off campus if the activity is planned under the auspices of a University administrative office or academic department and/or if University funds, including student activity fee money, are used to support any aspect of the program.

Faculty, staff, and students will be expected to abide by University philosophy, policies, regulations, and the spirit of the student conduct code. The fact that an activity is held off campus does not negate applicable policies and procedures.

University Sponsored Student Travel

The opportunity to represent the University of Mobile throughout the state, nation, and world is one of the many benefits of being a recognized student organization. The University has established a travel registration process to promote the health and welfare of students. The student travel procedures apply to student travel sponsored by an academic department, university unit, or student organization. Specifically, these procedures are required when the intended travel is to an activity or event located 25 miles or more away from the University and any of the following circumstances apply:

  • The event is funded by the University,
  • The travel is undertaken using a vehicle owned or leased by the University,
  • The activity or event is required by a recognized student organization, or
  • The travel is undertaken under the scope, direction or election of a college, department, class, university office, learning community, study abroad program, recognized student organization, or their representatives.

Having access to current information is an essential factor in the University’s ability to effectively respond to a critical incident involving University of Mobile students. In an effort to ensure individuals responsible for providing assistance during student trips have the information needed, student organizations are responsible for completing the following steps prior to travel:

  • Complete and submit a travel roster at least 48 hours before your group departs to the Dean of Students (or designee). Information submitted on this roster should include the names, student ID numbers, and emergency contact information of all participants traveling with the organization. This information will be used by University staff members to assist student participants in case of an emergency: It is imperative to maintain a correct and up-to-date list of participants and travel plans.
  • Facilities shall be approved by the trip sponsor as the official overnight facility, and all members and guests will stay in that facility except with the permission of the attending faculty/staff adviser. The name of this facility and an emergency telephone number will be listed on the travel roster.
  • Ensure that each traveling participant sign an Assumption of Risk form acknowledging they understand and accept the risks associated with travel activity.
  • For international travel, consult the Campus Life office and the Vice President for Business Affairs for information about the steps that need to be completed prior to departure, including travel notification and training.

Residential Life

The Residential Life program at the University of Mobile provides a supportive environment and opportunities for every student to live, learn, grow, and develop in all areas. A student residing in campus housing as part of a living-learning community promotes personal and academic development and enhances student success. Priority for placement in on-campus housing is given to students enrolled in the traditional undergraduate program.

Enrollment Requirements

Residents of university housing must be enrolled in a minimum of 12 semester hours. Students who enroll for less than the required number of semester hours must submit a written request for exception to the Director of Residential Life.

On-Campus Housing Requirement

All undergraduate, unmarried students without children, (with the exception of those who live with a parent or guardian, are over 21 years of age, or have completed 90 hours by the beginning of the Fall academic period) are required to maintain residence in University of Mobile campus housing.

Living on-campus is an integral part of the educational process. As part of the university commitment to this total educational concept, students receiving $9,000.00 or more in institutional aid must live on-campus. In keeping with the mission of the university to graduate students who are prepared academically, developing spiritually, and responsible socially, this policy provides students the opportunity to fully interact with others from a variety of backgrounds and geographical locations. Students who live on-campus tend to become more involved in campus activities, academic clubs and social organizations. Students may petition for exemption to this policy by placing their request and justification in writing to the Director of Residential Life before they complete the housing reservation form.

All students living on-campus are expected to abide by the rules and regulations set forth by the University of Mobile, and to respect and cooperate fully with all Campus Life Coordinators and Resident Assistants. Students are responsible for reading and following the Residential Life policies, procedures and regulations listed below.

All newly admitted students living on-campus must provide acceptable proof of tuberculosis screening before moving on-campus. The screening results must be within the past 6 months. Student can download the form at: https://www.umobile.edu/myum

Office Location

The Residential Life Office is located in Weaver Hall. The office is open Monday- Friday, 9:00 a.m.- 4:30 p.m., and the phone number is 251.442.2269 Residential Life staff are available to address policy violations, questions or problems for campus residents. The Campus Life Coordinators and Resident Assistants are on call 24 hours a day at 251.442.2990 and should be contacted in case of an emergency.

Housing Staff

Each housing venue has a Campus Life Coordinator and Resident Assistants living within the area. The Campus Life Coordinator is a full-time, 12-month, live-in professional staff member of the Department of Campus Life at the University of Mobile. CLC’S supervise Resident Assistants, Work Studies, and other Campus Life Student Leaders. In addition to their residential life responsibilities, Campus Life Coordinators also give leadership to one of the following groups: Campus Activities Board, Campus Ministries, Intramurals, Athletics, Publicity, and Student Success.

These individuals are available to address policy violations, questions or problems for campus residents. They are on call 24 hours a day and should be contacted in case of emergency. The Campus Life Coordinator or Resident Assistant should also be notified of any maintenance request. All final decisions regarding housing are made by the Director of Residential Life and Dean of Students.

Application Process

The Housing Application is located on the student home page of MyUM.  If a new student does not know their log in information they should contact their enrollment counselor for more information and help. 

Down Payment & Registration Information

To ensure equal opportunity for spaces in on-campus housing, the Residential Life Office is not able to reserve spaces until a student has registered for classes for the upcoming academic period, completed their Housing Application, and paid the housing down payment. For more information, contact the Residential Life Office at 251.442.2269.

Overflow Housing

In cases of over occupancy, there will be a waiting list created for students requesting housing. When a space becomes available, the first student on the waiting list will fill the space.

Private Rooms

Private room requests for Arendall, Bedsole, Ingram, Samford and Faulkner are granted as space is available. The charge for a private room is an additional $500.00 per semester. Priority for private rooms goes to seniors, juniors, sophomores, and freshmen respectively.

Summer Housing

The University provides limited housing during the summer terms. If a student wishes to live on-campus during the summer, he or she must complete a Summer Housing Reservation Form and submit it to the Residential Life Office at least four weeks prior to the last day of class for the Spring semester of that year. Priority for summer housing is given to those students who are enrolled in classes.

Note that there is no interim housing period. Students who are living on-campus during the spring and summer term(s) will be required to vacate his or her housing area by noon on the posted move out date. This will provide time for cleaning and maintenance.

Married Housing

The University of Mobile does not offer married housing for its students.  All residential housing is single gender occupancy.  The university defines gender as one’s biological birth sex. (See Sexual Stewardship section for more details).

Residential Life Policies and Procedures

ABANDONED PROPERTY - Items left in a room by a vacating resident are removed at the resident’s expense. Any items left in a room become property of the University.   

ADVERTISING/SOLICITING - Soliciting in residence halls and/or parking lots is restricted to protect residents from unwanted disturbances. Residents should report all solicitors to a Campus Life Coordinator. Campus organizations, departments, or individuals desiring to post notices or sell items in the residence halls or housing areas must receive approval from the appropriate Campus Life Coordinator. All unapproved postings will be removed.

APPLIANCES - Electrical items must have an Underwriters Laboratory, Incorporated (U.L.) approval rating on the unit or cord. Because of the amount of electricity required to operate hot plates and because of the dangers of fire created by their improper use, hot plates are not allowed.

CANDLES AND OPEN FLAMES - Candles are a fire hazard and are strictly prohibited in student residential areas. If a candle is found in a student’s living area, the candle will be confiscated, and the student will receive a written warning. An additional offense will result in a $50.00 fine.

CHARGES FOR DAMAGES & FINES - These charges reflect the cost of repairs, replacement and/or fines. These figures are only approximate; special circumstances may require additional charges. All hall charges will be divided among the residents of a room or housing area if responsibility for damage cannot be conclusive. For more specific information, residents should contact their Campus Life Coordinator.


Failure to clean room (before checkout) $150.00

Failure to clear space for a new roommate $100.00

Failure to remove all belongings when vacating a room $200.00

Removal of graffiti $100.00

Removal of contact paper, stickers, adhesive or double stick tape $100.00

Removal of cinderblocks (each) $50.00


Patch holes in wall and touch up paint (per square foot) $50 MINIMUM

Repaint wall $150.00

Repaint room $450.00

Repaint door $100.00

Replace broken windows (subject to window)


Key $75.00

Key (Samford) $350.00

UM ID $20.00

Smoke detectors $50.00

Exit lights $200.00

Replace ceiling tile (each) $25.00

Replace shower curtain $25.00

Fire extinguisher $250.00

Replace mattress $175.00 Timbers $300.00

Replace carpet $250.00

Replace doors $100.00 to $750 (subject to door)

Broken Furniture - dependent on replacement cost


Security unlocking residence hall door (each time after first offense) $25.00

Improper check in or checkout $200.00

Intentionally setting off the fire alarms $250.00 minimum

Setting off Fire sprinklers in Samford and Faulkner Halls 500.00 minimum

Failure to evacuate building during fire alarm $100.00

Failure to return furnishings to move in set up $50.00

PAYMENT OF FINES - Fines will be placed on the resident’s account in the business office. All fines must be paid before a student is permitted to receive their grades, register for the next academic period or term, receive a degree, or receive a transcript.

APPEAL OF FINES - Appeals of fines must be made in writing to the Director of Residential Life.  The appeal in writing will be sent to the housing fines appeals committee.  Committee decisions are final.  

DAMAGING, DESTROYING, OR DEFACING PROPERTY - Residents are individually liable for any loss or damage to assigned rooms and furnishings, regardless as to whether the damage is intentional or accidental. Unapproved room alterations and damage to furniture, buildings, or other University property are charged to the student(s) responsible at a cost determined by the University. Residents are held responsible for the condition of the common/public areas such as hallways and lobbies. Any person(s) causing damage will be fined and is subject to disciplinary action. When no one is willing to accept responsibility, all residents of a room, floor, cottage, house, modular unit or building will share in the cost of repairs or replacement.

ENTRANCE/EXIT DOORS - In an effort to provide a secure environment in the residence halls, residents should enter and exit only through the lobby doors. All side doors are provided for exit during an emergency only. Propping exterior doors open compromises the security and safety of all residents. This type of behavior is reason for disciplinary action, including suspension or expulsion from the University. Emergency exits should be used only in the event of a fire or other emergency. Unauthorized entry into restricted areas such as custodial closets, mechanical rooms, offices and roofs is prohibited.

ENTRY, SEARCH & SEIZURE - The University recognizes that an unannounced inspection is an intrusive action. However, the University reserves the right to conduct an inspection on campus at any time. This search includes the right to search vehicles on campus. The University staff seeks not to be arbitrary in performing a search; it is typically triggered out of concern or suspicion about the behavior choices of an individual or group. The University recognizes a search risks creating a sense of disruption and distrust. A search may be conducted to dispel suspicion or when there is reasonable indication that a student is in violation of school or policy regulations. An inspection (not including biweekly room check) typically is performed by at least two university staff members after receiving prior approval from an executive member of university administration . Searches can include personal property as well.  If the student is not present at the time of the search, they are to receive notice no more than 24 hours after the search is completed and a written list of any materials removed from the room or living area.

FURNITURE AND EQUIPMENT - University furnishings in residence hall rooms and living areas may not be dismantled, modified, removed or stored. In common and public areas, furnishings are for the use of all areas and must remain in the designated room, area, lounge, or space. Residents are responsible for repair and replacement not associated with normal wear and tear. Students who remove or relocate furnishings without permission from Residential Life are subject to disciplinary action including, but not limited to, fines and/or assessment of replacement charges. Each student is responsible for the furniture in his or her assigned room and no furniture is to be removed into or out of its assigned area except by permission of the Campus

Life Coordinator. An inventory of each room is made prior to its occupancy. If furniture is found to have been moved without proper permission, the student responsible will be charged accordingly. No pianos, organs or devices whose volume cannot be properly controlled for harmonious residential living will be permitted in the housing units.

GUESTS - Residents may have overnight guests of the same sex only after the guests have received approval from and registered with the Campus Life Coordinator. The hosting resident must complete a Guest Registration Card for his or her guest with the Campus Life Coordinator between 10:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. A guest may not stay without approval by the Director of Residential Life longer than two consecutive nights and may not stay more than four nights within a semester. On campus residents who have overnight guests without proper approval will be subject to disciplinary action, and the guest may be required to leave campus if their behavior is inappropriate. The guest must observe the same hours and rules as their host. The university reserves the right to deny permission for overnight guests at any time at its discretion.

HOLIDAY HOUSING AND MEAL SERVICE - All housing areas will close for Christmas break , between Spring and Summer Term I, and between Summer Term VI and Fall. The cafeteria will not remain open Fall break, Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, or Spring break and may have limited hours during other school breaks.

HOUSING KEYS - Keys are issued upon check-in to campus housing. The student is responsible for the security of the keys and room at all times. The key must be returned to your respective Campus Life Coordinator or Resident Assistant upon moving out. Failure to return key(s) will result in an improper checkout charge of $50.00. Also, all grades and transcripts will not be released until the fee is paid. Keys returned by mail or after check out will not qualify for a refund of improper checkout charge.

LAUNDRY FACILITIES - Washers and dryers are located in all of the residence halls and in a laundry room in each of the other housing areas. Machines are provided free of charge and may be used by on-campus residents only. Any malfunction of the machines should be reported to the Campus Life Coordinator or Mac

Gray. The following guidelines have been set for laundry facility use:

  • The machines may be used only by on campus residents.
  • A fine of $50.00 will result if any resident is found using the laundry facilities for any person’s laundry other than his or her own.
  • Residents should be responsible when doing laundry.
  • Please finish laundry as quickly as possible.
  • Any laundry left in the laundry room over 48 hours, wet or dry, will be collected by the Campus Life Coordinator or Resident Assistant. Students may retrieve his or her clothes from the Campus Life Coordinator by paying a fine of $25.00.
  • DO NOT remove other residents’ clothes from the dryer that are not completely dry. If clothes are dry, then place them neatly on top of the dryer.
  • DO NOT place other residents’ wet clothes in the dryer. If a washer has completed its cycle, simply remove the wet clothes and allow the owner to complete his or her own laundry.
  • DO NOT change the setting on the dryer to make someone else’s clothes dry faster.
  • Residence Hall staff is NOT responsible for molded, mildewed, or stained clothes.

LOBBIES IN RESIDENCE HALLS - Each of the residence halls has a lobby located on the first floor that is available to residents for studying and socializing. The following guidelines have been established for the lobbies:

  • Please limit rearranging furniture. If you do move furniture, return it to its original place.
  • Do not lie on the couches or floor together.
  • No kissing in the lobby.
  • No wrestling in the lobby.
  • Be respectful and responsible.
  • No loud or excessive screaming or noises, this includes playing musical instruments and radios.
  • Remember that all students share the lobby, so be respectful of others. In Arendall, Bedsole, Ingram, Samford & Faulkner Halls and the The Timbers the lobbies are open during visitation times. During non-visitation days, lobbies are closed. During various holidays and breaks, the lobbies in the residence halls will be closed. These closings will be posted on the lobby doors in each residence hall. If the lobby is closed, no visitors are allowed inside the building.

LOCK OUTS - Residents who are locked out of an assigned room or living area should contact the Residential Life Staff member working at the desk in lobbies of the Residence Halls. If it is during a time the lobby is closed and Residential Life Staff are not working, contact Campus Security at 251.510.4273.  If a student makes multiple calls after hours to unlock a door that student may be fined $25.00 per lockout.

LOST KEYS - If a room key or UM ID card is lost, it must be reported immediately to the Campus Life Coordinator or Resident Assistant. The charge for a new ID card is $20.00. Residents will be charged $50.00 for each key lost. Samford Hall and residents will be charged $350. Any key bent, cracked, broken or damaged beyond use by misuse or negligence will be treated as a lost key. If a key is found and turned in to the Residential Life Office the student will be notified and given 48 hours to claim the key. Failure to claim the key within 48 hours will result in a charge to the student’s account for a replacement key or lock change. Loaning a room key or access card to another person is prohibited. The student responsible for loaning a key or card will be subject to disciplinary action. In order to ensure safety to residents, there may be times throughout the year when your Campus Life Coordinator or Resident Assistant will ask to see your key(s) and/or UM ID card to verify that you have them. Any student who is unable to produce his or her key(s) and/or UM ID card will be subject to lost key(s) and/or UM ID card charges as stated above.

MAINTENANCE - In the event that repair to a room or its furnishings is necessary, the student should promptly report the situation to the Resident Assistant or Campus Life Coordinator. Under no circumstances should the student attempt to make repairs to University property or furnishings. Emergencies should be reported immediately. All other maintenance requests should be reported between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.

MANDATORY MEETINGS - Throughout the Fall and Spring academic periods, it may be necessary to call mandatory housing or hall meetings. Failure to attend one these meetings will result in a $25.00 fine. If there are special circumstances that prevent a student from attending, he or she should contact his or her Campus Life Coordinator or Resident Assistant 24 hours in advance of the meeting.

MOVE OUT PROCEDURES - Each student who moves into University of Mobile on campus housing is expected to pay room and board for the entire semester. Students who withdraw, are dismissed, suspended, or voluntarily move from the residence hall are required to complete the checkout procedures in cooperation with the Campus Life Coordinator. All residential students are required to arrange a checkout time with his or her Resident Assistant or Campus Life Coordinator at the end of the semester. Any student who departs without first obtaining permission/clearance from Residential Life is subject to all applicable fines including room cleaning fines. A charge of $50.00 per hour will be assessed to students who do not vacate their room by the official checkout date and time unless the student has received written permission from the Director of Residential Life. Room keys must be turned in and inspections made of the condition of the room at the time it is vacated. Additional charges for damages or defacement of University property can be made against the student. The University is not responsible for any personal articles left in on campus housing after checkout for the academic period or left during holiday breaks.

*Students are encouraged to make sure personal belongings are covered by their parent’s homeowners’ policy or a renter’s insurance policy.  See Operation Identification resource above.

PARKING - Parking is provided at each residential area for residents of those particular areas. For a detailed map of what is appropriate parking or your particular housing area, please consult the Office of Campus Operations. They may be reached at 442-2245. Maroon curbs in the residential areas are reserved for REZ Life staff 24 hours a day.

PERSONAL PROPERTY - The University does not accept responsibility for any loss of valuables due to vandalism, facility damage incidents, theft or burglary. Personal items of value such as stereos, computers, televisions, etc., should be properly insured by the student. It is also the responsibility of each student to lock his or her room whenever unattended. Students are advised to consult with their parents regarding their homeowners’ insurance policy, coverage and limits. The loss or theft of personal property should be reported immediately to the Security Office at 251.510.4273.  Lost and found items are retained at the Switchboard/Mailroom.

To aid in the possible recovery of items in the event of theft or burglary students are encouraged to take part in Operation Identification.  Operation Identification is a nation-wide program designed to discourage theft of valuables from your residence. The identifying serial numbers enable the police to contact and return stolen merchandise to the rightful owner. Operation Identification has dramatically reduced crime in communities where the majority of residents have joined the program. Operation Identification does not prevent theft (that is up to all of us), it only reduces the profit of crime, because burglars steal valuables for resale. If you mark all items with permanent identification numbers (using an engraver or permanent marker), the burglar will be unable to sell them through legitimate means. If a criminal knows all valuables in your residence are marked, he will look for an easier and more profitable victim. Completing the form and recording the make, model, and serial numbers of your valuables will assist with completing police reports and aid in returning them to the rightful owner.  Fill out your Operation Identification form here: http://umobile.edu/security/

PETS AND ANIMALS - Pets are not allowed inside any building on the University of Mobile campus. This includes mammals, birds, fish, reptiles and amphibians. Students must refrain from feeding or befriending animals on-campus because such activity encourages the animals to stay on-campus, and could become a potential health and safety hazard.

PHONE, CABLE & WIRELESS INTERNET ACCESS - The cable service is provided through College Cable Services, and the cost is included in room and board charges. If a student experiences problems with his or her cable service, the Campus Life Coordinator should be notified. Phone services are available upon request and fees are covered in room and board charges. Long distance phone service is available through C-Spire Communications. Contact them at 251-662-8300. Wireless internet access in the residential buildings is also included in room and board charges. Problems with these services should be reported to your R.A. or Campus Life Coordinator or by emailing wifisupport@umobile.edu. 

ROOM CHECKS - Each student living on campus is responsible for the cleanliness of his or her room. Students who share suites also share the responsibility of keeping the common areas (bathrooms, living rooms, etc.) clean and neat and in a presentable condition at all times. Room checks are made every other week by Resident Assistants. During room checks, special attention will be given to the general appearance of the bedroom (clothing is stored out of view, floors are clean, trash is properly disposed, etc.), the general condition of the bathroom, shower and other common areas, and the aesthetic condition of their rooms and furnishings, as well as the complete Facility.  Students who fail to address cleanliness within 24hrs of notification by Resident Assistants and/ or Residential Life Staff will be charged $25 per day. 

Health inspections will be conducted once per semester to ensure that residents’ rooms are kept at a healthy standard. Rooms will be checked for mold, mildew, trash taken out, dirty dishes, and overall appearance. The Director of Residential Life and other University staff may inspect the rooms periodically for cleanliness, damages, alleged policy violations and security purposes. These inspections may occur whether or not the occupants are present. Students are advised to keep food in sealed containers and to place food scraps or used food containers in outside trash containers. Obscene or suggestive pictures or paintings and alcoholic beverage publicity or containers are prohibited in the residence halls and throughout the University, as these are contrary to the philosophy of the University. Dartboards are prohibited in the housing area. Students should not use nails, paste, permanent supports or paint, etc. on walls, ceilings, floors, or furnishings. Charges will be assessed for such damages. 

ROOM CONSOLIDATION POLICY - If a student is left without a roommate for any reason within the first 5 weeks of any academic period, the student may be required to consolidate rooms unless he or she agrees to pay the private room fee (additional $500.00). This policy ensures that all persons having the privilege of a private room are treated equitably. Being required to consolidate means that the student will either have to select a new roommate or will have to move to another room. Students will be given the option to choose their own roommate and decide who is going to move.

Your Campus Life Coordinator is available to help with consolidation by providing names of persons who need roommates. If a student fails to make their own arrangement or fails to request that the University reassign them, the University reserves the right to assess the private room fee, to reassign the student to another room, or to assign the student a new roommate. After 5 weeks of classes, students who are left without a roommate are exempt from consolidation and the private room fee unless unusual circumstances warrant consolidation.

**Note: All rooms must remain furnished for double occupancy. This means one side must always remain open to welcome an assigned student at any time.

ROOM INVENTORY/DAMAGES FORM - Upon move in each on campus resident will be given the chance to fill out a room inventory form on which to record the current condition of their room. Be very thorough and careful in inspecting the room windows, furniture, walls, ceiling, floors, doors, etc. Record on this form anything that is wrong/damaged. If throughout the academic period damages occur beyond normal wear and tear, the student will be assessed the cost of restoring the room to the original condition. Charges for damage to hallways and/or lobbies will be divided between all residents if responsible party cannot be identified. Final charges are assessed after the room inspection during checkout is conducted by the Resident Assistant for your housing area.

ROOMMATE, SUITEMATE REQUESTS & ASSIGNMENTS - Students are able to make requests for roommate and suitemates when they complete their Housing Application Form each year. They are also able to request which housing area they would like to be assigned. The Residential Life Office will do its best to honor as many requests as possible when making housing assignments. However due to the volume of applications received, it is inevitable that some requests will not be able to be granted.

ROOM & ROOMMATE CHANGES - Students must remain in the room to which they have been assigned for the first two weeks of an academic period. Room change request forms are available from the Campus Life Coordinator living within each housing area. If a resident wishes to change rooms, he or she must receive permission from the Campus Life Coordinator before making any changes. Any room changes that occur without the approval of the Campus Life Coordinator will lead to a $50.00 fine and a return to your original room or payment of a $250 fine and stay in a new room. No room changes will take place during finals.

QUIET HOURS - Residents should practice courtesy 24 hours a day and maintain reasonable noise levels at all times. This includes keeping noise to a minimum while moving throughout the halls and stairwells so as not to disturb others.  Quiet hours are observed to enable students to study or sleep without interruption and unnecessary noise. Students who operate radios, televisions or other devices during these hours must regulate the volume and close their door to avoid interfering with the rest and study of others. If a resident feels that his or her primary rights to sleep or study in a residence hall or housing area are being violated, he or she should follow these guidelines:

  • Speak to the person causing the noise and courteously request the behavior be modified.
  • If the request does not produce satisfactory results, contact your Resident Assistant or other
  • REZ Life Staff member for assistance.
  • Quiet hours are observed 24 hours a day during finals. Beginning and ending dates will be posted on each of the halls.

VISITATION - Visitors of the opposite sex are permitted in the rooms of residents only during visitation hours. Visitors of the opposite sex are permitted in the living rooms of Avery Woods and The Parks only during visitation hours (The tile and doorway is included as part of the living room).


  • Room doors must remain fully open and rooms must be well lit.
  • Guests are to sign in at the Lobby desk and leave some form of identification with the Resident Assistant.
  • At NO TIME is there to be any lying on the floor or bed together.
  • When a guest leaves, he/she must sign out at the work study desk, and he/she may retrieve his/her identification.
  • Guests must use designated lobby bathrooms only.
  • A roommate’s privacy, plans, needs for rest and quiet must be considered anytime a resident makes plans to bring a guest to his/her room.
  • Guests are expected to conform to all regulations of the University and are subject to all University policies and rules. If guests do not comply with University policies, they may be asked by the University staff to leave. 


  • Interior blinds must remain open during visitation times.
  • Visitors of the opposite sex are not to be in the bedrooms.
  • At NO TIME is there to be any lying on the floor or in bed together.
  • Guests must use designated lobby bathrooms only.
  • A roommate’s privacy, plans, needs for rest and quiet must be considered anytime a resident makes plans to bring a guest to his/her room.
  • Guests are expected to conform to all regulations of the University and are subject to all University policies and rules. If guests do not comply with University policies, they may be asked by the University staff to leave. 
  • If a visitor of the opposite sex is on the tile or in the common living area of any housing area during non visitation hours, both the visitor and hosting resident are considered to be in violation of University visitation hours and policies. Each will be subject to University disciplinary action.


  • Visitors of the opposite sex are not to be in the bedrooms. They must remain visible in the living room or kitchen area.
  • Suite doors must remain fully open and rooms must be well lit.
  • Also, all visitation rules and regulations listed for the residence halls apply.



  • Monday, Wednesday 2:00 p.m. - 12:00 a.m.
  • Friday, Saturday 12:00 p.m. - 12:00 a.m.
  • Sunday 7:00 p.m. - 12:00 a.m.


  • Tuesday, Thursday 2:00 p.m. - 12:00 a.m.
  • Friday, Saturday 12:00 pm - 12:00 am
  • Sunday 7:00 p.m. - 12:00a.m.


  • Everyday 12:00pm-12:00am

* Please note that during various University breaks and holidays, there will be no visitation.

WINDOWS - Nothing is to be placed in or on the windows of the housing units that will detract in any manner from the general appearance of the facility. Screens are not to be removed from the windows at any time. Windows should be kept closed at all times when the heat or air conditioning is on in a residence hall. Windows must remain locked when residents leave the room. Failure to lock them is a security risk for all the members of that residence hall or living area. To protect an individual’s rights of privacy, undue loitering around the windows of the residence halls is prohibited and is subject to disciplinary action. Any person found entering/leaving a room through a window may be fined $50.00. In addition, the resident allowing someone to enter through a window may also be fined.

Residential Life Violations

1. Room Violations

  • Dirty dishes
  • Improperly stored food
  • Trash not taken out
  • Floors not cleared
  • Bathroom not cleaned (mildew collecting, trash not cleared)
  • Unreported major maintenance requests (broken windows, flooded carpet, etc.)
  • Having an animal in your room

2. Community Living Violations

  • Noise violation
  • Negligent condition of common area
  • Laundry remaining in laundry room more than 48 hours
  • Moving common area furnishings into residential room or relocating furniture without permission from the appropriate university official.

3. Safety Violations and Security

  • Large objects stored in hallway
  • Lock outs
  • Access key not with resident
  • Setting off alarm (side or back doors)
  • Parking in reserved areas in residential areas
  • Failure to obtain/possess a valid UM Student I.D.

4. Visitation Violations

  • Improper conduct during visitation such as lying on the bed, lights not on, doors closed, blinds closed.
  • Guest and visitors staying in building past visitation hours in performance of their duties and/or failure to identify oneself to these persons when requested to do so.

Residence Hall Security

In an effort to provide maximum security for residents, the residence halls are locked 24 hours a day. A security guard is on duty in the housing area from 10:00 p.m. until 6:00 a.m. The lobbies of Bedsole, Arendall, Ingram, Samford and Faulkner Halls are closed to visitors from 12:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. daily.  Lobbies in the The Timbers are only open to a person visiting someone who lives in the Apartments.


The following procedures should be used in the event of emergencies:

TORNADOES - In case of tornado, the students should assemble as follows: Ingram, Arendall, Bedsole, Faulkner, Samford, and the The Timbers - In hallways (1st floors of residence halls) in sitting position with head down. Avery Woods - In their respective bathrooms in sitting position with head down. The Parks - In a sitting position with head down in the Gymnasium or Ram Hall.

HURRICANES - Hurricane season in coastal Alabama is June 1 through November 30. The University is located approximately fifteen miles inland from Mobile Bay on high ground (87 feet above sea level) and is therefore out of the storm surge danger area. To ensure the safety of students and property, the University has developed an Emergency Management Plan, which will be implemented at the direction of the President of the University or his appointed representative. University personnel monitor the development of each tropical storm and use this Management Plan. Please use the information in this section as a guideline for what to do if a storm threatens the area.

HURRICANE PREPAREDNESS - At the time of a hurricane warning, the University recommends that students evacuate by going home or to the home of a friend or relative. The Dean of Students will keep students informed of the hurricane’s location and potential danger and will make an announcement concerning when to evacuate. Students evacuating should prepare their rooms according to the directions provided by the Campus Life Coordinator, inform the CLC of their evacuation plan and depart campus. Students should call parents BEFORE getting on the road. When the storm has passed, local students should tune to local television and radio stations and await official notification that it is safe to return. Students who have gone out of town may call the University’s switchboard or visit www.umobile.edu for information regarding re-openings.

During a hurricane, university residents may experience loss of electrical power, heavy rain and high winds. Once it is determined that power loss will occur, the university will move all students remaining on campus to one facility. Residential students who choose to remain on campus will be housed in this facility for the duration of the storm and up to 3 days after the storm. University staff members will remain with students during the storm, and basic food service will be provided. Students should bring personal items including prescription medications, snacks, bedding, entertainment and a flashlight.  The Dean of Students or the Director of Residential Life will oversee safety of all resident students who have been given permission to remain on campus. Students remaining on campus will report to Ram Hall at the announcement by the Dean of Students.


  • Move all furniture away from windows and unplug all electrical equipment.
  • Take all valuables (jewelry, electronic equipment, etc.) with you when you leave. Water may enter your room, from rain driven by high winds.
  • Place all papers, books, and loose or small objects in dresser drawers or on closet shelves.
  • Close all windows
  • Close and lock the door to your room.
  • If your car must remain in a residence hall parking lot, make sure the emergency brake is set and the transmission is in Park.

FIRE PROCEDURES FOR ON CAMPUS HOUSING - If you notice a fire, call 911, pull fire alarm, report it to a staff member, and notify security 510-4273 (cell). All residence halls are equipped with smoke detectors and fire alarms. All other housing areas are equipped with smoke detectors. Once each semester, a fire alarm drill may be held. Students are required to evacuate the buildings according to the route posted in your hall during a fire or fire drill.

FIRE HAZARDS - The following items are prohibited because they are serious potential fire hazards.

  • Open flames such as candles and incense
  • Appliances with exposed heating elements
  • Use or possession of fireworks
  • Smoking in on campus housing/buildings


  • Stay calm.
  • Close windows.
  • Feel door.
  • If cool, depart from the room closing the door behind you, using route posted in your room.
  • If door is hot or if hall is too smoky to use, stay in your room. Keep door closed. Stuff towels in cracks around the door, air conditioning outlets, etc. Open bottom of window, get face near opening to breathe, wave towel, sheet, blanket, etc. from window to attract attention.
  • Walk - don’t run - to the exit.
  • Do not return to building until a staff member tells you to reenter.

NOTE: UM is not responsible for loss of personal property due to fire, water damage, or theft. Students are advised to consult with parents regarding their homeowners’ insurance policy, and are encouraged to consider renter’s insurance.

HEALTH EMERGENCIES - After emergencies are reported to 911 it is important to also notify Campus Security. Campus Security can and will respond to emergencies and will also assist emergency responders with finding the location of emergencies when arriving on campus.  All medical emergencies should also be reported immediately to the Director of Residential Life.

  • Call 911
  • Campus Security 251-510-4273
  • Campus Life On-Call - 442-2990
  • Resident Assistant
  • If the student is conscious and has a preferred local physician, this preference should be honored.
  • After contacting 911 and campus security all serious accidents or illnesses should be reported to at least one of the following offices:
    • Director of Residential Life ………………………………………………251-442-2269
    • Dean of Students………………………………………………………….. 251-442-2429
    • Vice President for Enrollment Services and Campus Life…… 251-442-2225
    • If they occur during the night, contact, as appropriate:
    • Campus Security Guard ………………………………………………….251-510-4273
    • Campus Life On Call ………………………………………………………251-442-2990

PARENTS - If you need to call the University, please use the following numbers.

Main Switchboard …………………………………….. (251)675-5990

Dean of Students………………………………………. (251)442-2429

Athletics ………………………………………………….. (251)442-2278

Rez Life …………………………………………………… (251)442-2990

Parking & Traffic Regulations

Vehicle Registration Decal

Any student or employee who operates a motorized vehicle of any type on-campus must register the vehicle with the Office of Campus Operations. Vehicles are registered online via https://www.permitsales.net/UofMobile and receive a “hangtag” parking permit.  Students and employees may register up to 3 vehicles per hangtag and the hangtag may be used in any registered vehicle.  Hangtags expire at the end of each academic year.  If a new license plate or vehicle is obtained during the academic year, the new information must be edited via https://www.permitsales.net/UofMobile.

Temporary Permits

If a student, faculty or staff member drives an unregistered vehicle to the campus on an emergency or temporary basis, a Temporary Permit should be obtained from the Office of Campus Operations immediately when the vehicle is brought to the campus and the permit displayed appropriately on the dashboard during the time that the vehicle is on the campus.  Temporary parking permits will not be renewed.

Owner/Operator Responsibility

The University assumes no responsibility or liability for any vehicle on the campus, whether or not school is in session. In the event of damage to or theft of a vehicle on the campus, if the person who caused the damage or committed the theft cannot be determined, the owner/operator of the vehicle and/or his/her insurance company shall be responsible for any damages or loss. If the insurance company requires a police report, the Prichard Police Department should be called at 452.2211.

Abandoned Vehicle Policy

After determining a vehicle is abandoned or may be abandoned, Campus Operations will issue a letter (sealed in an envelope) to be placed on the vehicle with the next citation. To be considered abandoned, the vehicle must be continuously parked in the same spot and have received numerous parking tickets (7 or more). The letter will be placed on the vehicle and after a set period of days (to be determined by Campus Operations), the vehicle will be towed as abandoned.

Parking Regulations

Parking is permanently prohibited in areas with yellow curbs and along streets and driveways where there are no marked parking spaces. These areas must be left open at all times for proper traffic flow and/or for emergency vehicles. Vehicles are not to be driven or parked on the grass at any time except along the road at the Harrigan Center when the parking lots have been filled. Vehicles parked in traffic lanes, on the grass, in loading zones or in other prohibited areas are subject to immediate removal. If this becomes necessary, the vehicle will be towed at the owner’s expense and appropriate fine(s) assessed. Facilities are not available for storage or repair of motorized vehicles on the campus.

Students are advised not to leave their automobiles on the campus during holidays or vacation periods. Vehicles left abandoned on the campus for longer than two weeks may be subject to removal at the owner’s expense.

Parking areas reserved for specific individuals or groups are generally indicated by appropriate signs and/or painted curbs or markings.

Parking spaces with maroon curbs or markings are reserved for specific individuals between the hours of 6:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. (except those spaces marked with maroon curbs at the residence halls which are reserved permanently).

Parking spaces with green curbs or markings are reserved for faculty and staff from 6:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m.

Parking spaces with blue curbs or markings are reserved at all times for persons with valid handicapped placards.

Appropriately marked spaces in front of Weaver Hall are reserved for visitors at all times. (Faculty, staff and students are not permitted to park in these spaces whether or not the vehicle they are driving has a valid registration decal.)

Parking spaces on the west side of the parking lot behind the gym are reserved for persons who work in the adjacent athletic buildings.

Parking for Residential Students

Parking is provided at each residential area for residents of those particular areas. For a detailed map of the appropriate parking spaces for each particular housing area, please consult the Office of Campus Operations. They may be reached at 442.2245. Maroon curbs in the residential areas are reserved for REZ Life staff 24 hours a day.

Speed Limits

Speed limits are established and posted on the campus for the safety of vehicles and pedestrians. Many people walk, jog or run on the campus during the day and at night, when school is in and out of session; so it is very important that the speed limits and other traffic regulations be observed at all times. The speed limit between the entrance to the campus and the flag plaza is 30 MPH. Throughout the remainder of the campus the speed limit is 20 MPH except in the housing areas and the parking lots where the speed limit is 15 MPH. Driving conditions in any of these areas may require that the speed be reduced to maintain safety.

Some streets and driveways are restricted to one way traffic. These restrictions are in effect at all times. Motorcycles, mopeds, three wheelers, four wheelers, etc. are subject to the same driving and parking regulations as other vehicles. Motorcycle drivers and passengers are required to wear approved helmets.

Penalties for Violations of Driving/Parking Regulations

Fines will be based on the nature of offenses. (A citation will result in multiple fines if there are multiple offenses.) Fines will be assessed to the person to whom the vehicle is registered in the Office of Campus Operations.

Payment of Fines

Fines can be paid online at https://www.permitsales.net/UofMobile/violations.  Any fines not paid in full, will be placed on the violator’s account in the Business Office.  All fines must be paid before a student will be permitted to receive grades, register for the next academic period or term, receive a degree, or receive a transcript.

Appeal of Citations

Appeals of citations must be made online at https://www.permitsales.net/UofMobile/violations. Once a citation is issued, the recipient has 14 calendar days to file their appeal online.  Once an appeal has been submitted, the Parking Committee will review the appeal and either approve the appeal (thus negating the citation) or deny the appeal (upholding the issued citation).  Notification of the results will be made either by mail or email. 

Frequent Offenders

Students who have received four or more citations will be referred to the Dean of Students (or designee) for disciplinary action or a restriction of driving privileges.

Safety, Security & Emergency Preparedness

University Alert System

The University of Mobile has an emergency alert system that will notify students in the event of any University emergency, weather warnings, school closing, power outages, etc. An alert notification account will be automatically set up for students currently enrolled or employed by UM. Account options may be set to receive UMobile emergency communications via text message, email or recorded voice messages. There is a link to the emergency notification account on MyUM. To enter emergency notification options students must first log into MyUM. The alerts will also be posted @umcampuslife Twitter account. Parents, spouses or family members can sign up for notifications by visiting www.getrave.com/login/umobile.

For questions, contact the university Campus Card Coordinator at campuscard@umobile.edu.


Security is a community responsibility requiring the cooperation and responsibility of the University family.  Campus Security operates 24 hours a day; 365 days a year.  The security staff is trained and armed for the protection of the faculty, staff, students, and visitors.  Security officers can unlock rooms/ buildings, jumpstart cars, write incident reports, contact local police, conduct investigations, make felony arrests, and conduct crime prevention events.  Officers are trained in firearms, O.C. pepper spray, report writing, emergency responses, CPR, first aid, and AED (defribillator) operation.  Security can be contacted by cell phone at 251.510.4273.


Safety, security, parking and traffic responsibilities are assigned to the Office of Campus Operations located in House 10 behind the gym - 251.442.2245.

Reporting On-Campus Crime

Anyone observing or suspecting a crime being committed on the campus is encouraged to report this as soon as possible. Contact the University of Mobile’s Department of Public Safety at (251)510-4273, or the Prichard Police at 9-1-1- (emergencies only). Any suspicious activity or person seen in the parking lots or loitering around vehicles, inside buildings or around the Residential Halls should be reported. In addition you may report a crime to the following areas:

  • Campus Security/Gate House            (251)510-4273
  • Campus Operations                            (251)442-2245
  • Maintenance / Grounds                      (251)442-2262
  • Student Information Desk                   (251)442-2222
  • Residential Life                                   (251)442-2990
  • Counseling Services                           (251)442-2292

University of Mobile’s Department of Public Safety members do not provide law enforcement service to off-campus residences, recognized organizations or off-campus activities. Criminal activity at off-campus residences is under the jurisdiction of local law enforcement agencies.

For off-campus options you may refer to the University Catalog located online and at MyUM (the secured internal university network). University Security and the Prichard Police department have a working relationship where each department augments the other within their jurisdictions during mutual investigations, arrest, and prosecutions. University personnel attend meetings with local law enforcement agencies to exchange ideas and problems which may be of concern for the University community.

In the event that a situation arises, either on or off campus, that, in the judgment of the Director of Public Safety, constitutes an ongoing or continuing threat, a campus wide “timely warning” will be issued. The warning will be issued through the university alert system to students, faculty, and staff.

Depending on the particular circumstances of the crime, especially in all situations that could pose an immediate threat to the community and individuals, the Department of Public Safety may also post a notice on the campus-wide electronic bulletin board on the University Police web site and through the University Alert system, providing the university community with more immediate notification. In such instances, a copy of the notice is posted in each residence hall and in the. The electronic bulletin board is immediately accessible via computer by all faculty, staff and students. Anyone with information warranting a timely warning should report the circumstances to Campus Security, by phone (251)510-4273 or in person with any Security Officer available.

Policy Statement Addressing the Encouragement of Accurate and Prompt Crime Reporting

  • Community members, students, faculty, staff, and guests are encouraged to report all crimes and public safety related incidents to the Department of Public Safety in a timely manner.
  • To report a crime or an emergency on the University of Mobile campus, call Campus Security at extension 2655 or, from outside the University phone system, (251) 510-4273.
  • Officers are available at these respective telephone numbers 24 hours a day to answer your call. In response to a call, Campus Security will take the required action, dispatching an officer or asking the victim to report to the office to file an incident report.
  • All incident reports are forwarded to the Campus Operations Office for review and potential action by the Office of Enrollment Services and Campus Life. Security Investigators will investigate a report when it is deemed appropriate. Additional information obtained via the investigation will also be forwarded to the Office of Enrollment Services and Campus Life.
  • If assistance is required from the Prichard Police Department or the Prichard Fire Department, Campus Security will contact the appropriate unit. If a sexual assault or rape should occur, staff on the scene, including Security, will offer the victim a wide variety of services.
  • This publication contains information about on-campus and off campus resources. That information is made available to provide community members with specific information about the resources that are available in the event that they become the victim of a crime. The information about “resources” is not provided to infer that those resources are “reporting entities” for the University of Mobile.
  • Crimes should be reported to the Department of Public Safety to ensure inclusion in the annual crime statistics and to aid in providing timely warning notices to the community, when appropriate. For example, a crime that was reported only to the Rape Crisis Center would not be included in the University’s crime statistics.

Security Policies

University of Mobile’s Department of Public Safety has the authority to ask persons for identification and to determine whether individuals have lawful business at the university. Security Officers have the authority to issue parking tickets, which are billed to financial accounts of students, faculty, and staff. Security Officers are not A.P.O.S.T. (Alabama Peace Officer Standards of Training) certified and do not possess arrest powers outside the State of Alabama Citizen Arrest Authority. Criminal incidents are referred to the local police who have jurisdiction on the campus. The Department of Public Safety Office at the University of Mobile maintains a highly professional working relationship with the Mobile County Sheriff’s Office, Prichard Police Department, and all other Federal and State Law Enforcement agencies. All crime victims and witnesses are strongly encouraged to immediately report the crime to Campus Security and the appropriate police agency. Prompt reporting will assure timely warning notices on-campus and timely disclosure of crime statistics.

Policy Statement Addressing Confidential Crime Reporting:

All reports will be investigated. The University does not have procedures for voluntary, confidential reporting of crime statistics. Violations of state law will be referred to law enforcement agencies and when appropriate, to the University Disciplinary Committee for review. When a potentially dangerous threat to the University community arises, timely reports or warnings will be issued through the university alert system, the posting of flyers, in-class announcements, or other appropriate means.

Policy Statement Addressing Disclosures to Alleged Victims of Crimes of Violence or Non-forcible Sex Offenses

The University of Mobile will, upon written request, disclose to the alleged victim of a crime of violence, or a non-forcible sex offense, the results of any disciplinary hearing conducted by the college against the student who is the alleged perpetrator of the crime or offense. If the alleged victim is deceased as a result of the crime or offense, the University of Mobile will provide the results of the disciplinary hearing to the victim’s next of kin, if so requested.

Policy on How University Crime Statistics are Prepared:

The University Police prepares this report to comply with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act. The full text of this report can be located on our web site at http://umobile.edu/security/. You will also be able to connect to our site via the University of Mobile home page at www.umobile.edu.

This report is prepared in cooperation with the local law enforcement agencies surrounding our main campus and alternate sites, Housing and Residential Services, the Judicial Affairs Officer, the Division of Business Affairs, and the Division of Student Affairs. Each entity provides updated information on their educational efforts and programs to comply with the Act.

Campus crime, arrest and referral statistics include those reported to the Department of Public Safety, designated campus officials (including but not limited to directors, deans, department heads, judicial affairs, advisors to students/student organizations, athletic coaches), and local law enforcement agencies. Counseling Services staff inform their clients of the procedures to report crime to the Campus Security on a voluntary or confidential basis, should they feel it is in the best interest of the client. A procedure is in place to anonymously capture crime statistics disclosed confidentially during such a session.

Each year, an e-mail notification is made to all enrolled students that provides the web site to access this report. Faculty and staff receive similar notification with their paycheck. Copies of the report may also be obtained at the Department of Public Safety located at Plant Services Building or by calling (251)442-2493. All prospective employees may obtain a copy from Human Resources in Weaver Hall basement or by calling (251)442-2209, and the web site address will be attached to employment applications.

Policy Statement Addressing Security and Access

During business hours, the university (excluding certain housing facilities) will be open to students, parents, employees, contractors, guests, and invitees. During non-business hours access to all university facilities is by key or card access, if issued, or by admittance via the Department of Public Safety, housing staff, or certain faculty. In the case of periods of extended closing, the university will admit only those with prior written approval to all facilities.

Residence halls are secured 24 hours a day. Some facilities may have individual hours, which may vary at different times of the year. Examples are the Gym, the Library, and the Fine Arts Building. In these cases, the facilities will be secured according to schedules developed by the department responsible for the facility.

Emergencies may necessitate changes or alterations to any posted schedules. Areas that are revealed as problematic have security surveys conducted of them. Administrators from Enrollment Services, Plant Services, Residence Life, Public Safety, and other concerned areas review these results. These surveys examine security issues such as landscaping, locks, alarms, lighting, and communications. Additionally, during the academic year, the Directors of Facilities Management, Housing, Residence Life, Campus Safety, and Maintenance meet to discuss issues of pressing concern.

Missing Student Notification

As required by law, University of Mobile has adopted a missing student notification policy for students who reside in on-campus housing. In accordance with this policy, each student who resides in on-campus housing has the option to identify an individual as their emergency contact to be contacted by UM in case of an emergency. Students identify the individual to be notified by providing Personal Emergency Contact Information upon completion of the Residential Life Check-In Document. Students who have not already provided Personal Emergency Contact Information-including those students who live off-campus are strongly encouraged to do so. Except as otherwise permitted or required by law, Personal Emergency Contact Information will be accessible only to authorized campus officials, and will not be disclosed to non-campus officials other than law enforcement personnel.

In addition to notifying the emergency contact(s) identified by a student, UM must also notify a custodial parent or guardian of a student who is under 18 years of age and is not an emancipated individual if such student is determined to be missing. UM is also required to notify the appropriate law enforcement agency (or agencies) if any student, regardless of age, is determined to be missing. UM reserves the right to notify additional individuals or authorities in its discretion-including the parents or guardians of students over 18 years of age-if a student is determined to be missing. These notifications are required to be made within 24 hours of the determination that a student is missing.

Sexual Assault Risk Reduction Tips

  • Be assertive. State clearly what you want and do not want.
  • Avoid walking alone if you are distracted, upset, or under the influence of any substance which may impair your actions.
  • Avoid the use of alcohol and other drugs.
  • Never accept beverages, including non-alcoholic ones, from someone you don’t know or trust.
  • Trust your instincts. If an individual makes you feel uncomfortable, remove yourself from the situation.
  • Clearly communicate your boundaries and limits. If someone makes you feel uncomfortable, tell him/her early and firmly. Say “No” when you mean “No.”

Personal Property

The University does not accept responsibility for any loss of valuables due to vandalism, facility damage incidents, theft or burglary. Personal items of value such as stereos, computers, televisions, etc., should be properly insured by the student. It is also the responsibility of each student to lock his or her room whenever unattended. Students are advised to consult with their parents regarding their homeowners’ insurance policy, coverage and limits.

The loss or theft of personal property should be reported immediately to the Security Office at 251.510.4273.  Lost and found items are retained at the Switchboard/Mailroom.


In the event of a campus wide emergency, the Vice President of Operations and the Dean of Students will act with complete and full authority to implement a plan for coping with campus emergencies. In their absence, the Vice President for Academic Affairs will act as coordinator for emergency preparedness.

Reporting an Emergency

In reporting an emergency, state your name, location, and nature of the emergency.

If an emergency occurs:

  • Dial 911 to report an active fire or active shooter.  Remain on the phone with the operator and follow instructions.
  • Call Campus Security 251.510.4273

Fire, Bomb Threats and Laboratory Emergencies

In the event of fire, pull the nearest alarm, notify your neighbors, and exit the building through the nearest exit.

Each instructor, at the sounding of the fire alarm, should escort his or her students in an orderly fashion down the nearest stairwell and outside the building to a safe distance from the building. This procedure should also be applied to any bomb threat, laboratory emergency or similar incident.


  • Call the Prichard Fire Department at 911
  • Notify Campus Security 251.510.4273

Residence hall evacuation plans are posted in each student room. Periodic safety drills may be conducted in each building in compliance with state law. Failure to evacuate a building or to comply with instructions during an evacuation will result in disciplinary action.

Medical Emergencies

When a student is in need of urgent medical care after hours, the student may contact one of the local physicians’ offices or go to the emergency room at one of the local hospitals. Contact one of the physicians’ offices at the numbers listed below for office hours and directions.

Physicians Offices

Greater Mobile Urgent Care (3 locations, no appt. necessary)

  • Schillinger location- 2350 Schillinger Road. 251.633.0123 Dial 1
  • Springhill location- 4402 Old Shell Rd. 251.633.0123 Dial 2
  • Semmes location- 7943 Moffett Rd. 251.633.0123 Dial 3

Hospitals/Emergency Rooms

Springhill Medical Center                  251.460.5315              15min.             11.2 miles

Mobile Infirmary Medical Center       251.435.5673              22min.             13 miles

Providence Hospital                          251.633.1000              27min.             15.9 miles

USA Children’s and Women’s           251.415.1000              22min.             10.7 miles


In case of a tornado while classes are in session - instructors should escort students away from windows and into hallway or doorway areas. Students should sit with their heads down and covered by their hands.


Hurricane season in coastal Alabama is June 1 through November 30. The University is located approximately fifteen miles inland from Mobile Bay on high ground (87 feet above sea level) and is therefore out of the storm surge danger area.

To ensure the safety of students and property, the University has developed a Hurricane Preparedness Plan which will be implemented at the direction of the President of the University or his appointed representative. University personnel monitor the development of each tropical storm and use this management plan. Students are advised to use the information in the plan which applies to hurricanes as a storm threatens the area.

Student Care

Psychological Policy

The University of Mobile is an academic institution equipped to meet many of the needs of diverse college students. Throughout each semester, students at the University of Mobile may present a range of psychological issues that require staff assistance or staff intervention. Students experiencing psychological difficulties are expected to take personal responsibility to manage their behaviors and seek appropriate treatment as necessary. In addition to the care students might receive from counseling services, there are times when a student might need to spend time away from the campus, either voluntarily or involuntarily.

Short Term Absences

In some instances, a student may experience a psychological problem, family distress or a need for extended time for bereavement. In these cases, the student has the responsibility to contact the University’s counseling services to coordinate absences with the student’s faculty/staff members. This notification does not relieve the student from their responsibility to arrange to complete missed work and should not be considered an excused absence. Students should be reminded to consult faculty or syllabi regarding absence policies, and to communicate with faculty to minimize impact on grades. Students should be advised to check in with counseling services to confirm their return to UM.

Serious Psychological Difficulties

UM is concerned about the well-being of all students.  Any behavior, including non-privileged verbal statements, that tends to demonstrate a desire of a student to inflict harm upon him or herself or others is considered a serious matter.  Such behavior demonstrates that the student’s well-being may be in jeopardy and interferes with the educational efforts of other students and with University of Mobile’s mission to educate all students. 

Any student who:

  1. states (via any source including verbal, written note, text, social media, email, or any other form) an intent or desire to harm himself or herself or others, or becomes disruptive
  2. attempts to harm himself or herself, or others
  3. harms himself or herself, or others
  4. has within their possession any item or substance that causes concern for potential harm

may be considered for temporary or permanent removal from University of Mobile residential facilities and/or University of Mobile academic and extra-curricular programs until cleared to return by the Dean of Students or designee.  This potential action is not disciplinary in nature and the fact that such action has been imposed will not be entered in the student’s educational records.  However, if a student violates community standards or fails to comply with the terms of the clearance procedure, the student may be subject to disciplinary action in accordance with student disciplinary policy.  If a student, faculty or staff member observes a student with the above-stated behavior, the person observing such behavior should report to the Dean of Students or Director of Student Retention and Success.  The student experiencing difficulties will be notified of behaviors observed.  An assessment will be conducted to determine if action will be taken, and the student will receive written notification of the decision.  The assessment will consist of:

  1. Observations of conduct, actions or statements that indicate safety or code of conduct issues.
  2. Statement from the student explaining his/her conduct, actions, or statements.
  3. Consultations with qualified healthcare professionals (the University Counselor or referral) who can assist the school in judging
    1. The nature, duration, and severity of risk of immediate harm to self and/or others.
    2. The student is able to adequately care for self.
    3. The student is able to function both socially and academically.
    4. Whether reasonable modifications of policies, practices, or procedures can mitigate the risk.
    5. The level of risk associated with disruption to the community or normal functioning of the college.
  4. Determination by school officials if the student is qualified to take classes, remain in the dorms, and/or participate in UM related activities.

A student who fails to complete the consultation with a qualified healthcare professional, in accordance with these standards and procedures and give permission for the results to be shared with appropriate officials may be considered for further action including involuntary withdrawal or referred for conduct sanction.

A student who is temporarily removed from University of Mobile residential facilities and/or University of Mobile academic and extra-curricular programs, voluntarily or involuntarily, and wishes to be considered for reinstatement, must provide a safety plan for their return. This plan should be developed with the University Counselor and include a description of specific goals, meetings and supportive steps the student will implement to help reduce the risk of another serious psychological episode, serious chronic psychological difficulties, or dangerous or excessive disruption to the community and normal functions of staff and faculty. The original assessment and newly developed safety plan will be taken into consideration by the Dean of Students to determine the student’s residency and continuation in our academic and extracurricular programs. The student must receive written clearance by the Dean of Students prior to returning to campus.

The Dean of Students or an appointed representative may, at any time during this procedure, contact a parent on record or consult with the University counselor, nurse, or other university official.

This procedure will be in effect if it is believed that a student meets the criteria set forth in this policy. If a student subject to conduct proceedings indicates they have a mental/behavioral disorder, that student will be required to complete a psychological assessment with the University counselor.

University-Initiated Procedures

If a student is a direct threat to self or others, or significantly interferes with the education or the rights of others, the Dean of Students may initiate these procedures. The Dean of Students is empowered with the discretion to define within his/her professional judgment what is sufficiently threatening and/or disruptive to warrant invoking this procedure. The first step will be to complete an assessment as stated above. Based on the results of the assessment, the following actions may be taken, but these do not preclude other actions based on a specific situation:

  1. Continue at the University with no restrictions. The University may take no action if it is decided, based on the assessment, that the student may be allowed to continue with no restrictions. In those cases, care should be taken to provide opportunities for the student to be advised of accommodations and supportive services that are available. In cases where there are conduct actions pending, those actions should go forward.
  2. Continue in University pending further proceedings. The university may require that the student meet certain conditions regarding behavior over a specified period of time if he/she is to remain enrolled. Such conditions could include, for example, stopping classroom disruptiveness, or continuing only if the student avails him or herself of supportive services or accommodation arrangements. Failure to comply with the conditions, coupled with further disruptive behavior, may result in having additional conduct complaints added to any that were previously pending or deferred.
  3. Remain enrolled at the University subject to conditions but with eligibility for University-owned residential agreement reviewed. Under certain circumstances, where other students’ living and learning environment is very likely to be disrupted by a student’s behavior, the housing agreement may be terminated.
  4. Suspension or dismissal. If there is a pervasive pattern of disruptive or threatening behavior, or behaviors that are assaultive, which present an imminent risk of injury to others, the student may be suspended or dismissed. In urgent circumstances immediate measures may be taken to suspend a student, but will be closely followed by an assessment, including an opportunity for the student to present his/her position and any information the student would like to be considered.

University Related Programs and Activities

If a faculty or staff member has concerns regarding a student’s emotional, psychological, or behavioral stability relating to participation in a University related program or activity, the faculty or staff member may refer the student to the Dean of Students. The Dean of Students will facilitate an evaluation to be conducted by a qualified health care provider and outcomes will be reported by the Dean of Students to the faculty or staff member. The Dean of Students and faculty or staff member will confer to make a final determination regarding the student’s ability to participate.


All determinations will be made and all policies will be applied in a nondiscriminatory manner based on observation of a student’s conduct, actions, and statements, and in consultation with a professional qualified to interpret the evidence.

Student Conduct, Care, and Responsibilities


College Citizenship

All who work, study, and learn at the University of Mobile do so voluntarily. When a student applies for admission to the University of Mobile, that student agrees to respect and abide by the college’s principles of conduct and community standards as well as federal, state, and local laws, and to comply with those standards and laws in the interest of orderly community living.

Many UMobile student community standards are based upon Biblical precepts or absolutes as represented in the University Statement of Christian Affirmation (as published in the University of Mobile catalog); while some expectations are simply held to be prudent in nature. These standards reflect a desire on behalf of the University to assist students in conducting themselves in a manner which reflects evidence of Christian principles and high moral character. Students are expected to: 1) show respect for authorities, private property, self, and the rights of others, 2) to exercise stewardship over their resources, abilities, as well as their mind, body & soul, and 3) to care for others as they do for themselves.

As members of the University community, students enjoy the rights and bear the responsibility of full citizenship. This citizenship is based on a shared commitment to integrity, respect, stewardship, and safety & security. As citizens, students are subject to sanction or revocation of citizenship when their actions infringe on the rights of others, compromise their own self-worth, or the integrity of the University community and its commitment to Christian values, and/or when safety and security are threatened or violated.

Each student is expected to adhere to the rules, regulations, and standards set forth in the student handbook, University catalog, any addendums, or other related publications. Observations, reports, associations or any information posted to the internet can be used to evaluate a student’s conduct. Students are responsible for their own behavior and for developing and upholding their commitment to the mission and goals of the University of Mobile. In addition to their own behavior, students may be held responsible for the influence they have on fellow students and the behavior of their guests.

The University reserves the right to review actions taken by civil authorities regarding any student or student organization. University disciplinary proceedings may be instituted against a student charged with violation of a law and may, at the sole discretion of the University, be carried out prior to, concurrently, or following civil or criminal proceedings. Violations occurring during non-enrolled periods may be considered by the University in determining whether a student will be eligible to continue his/her enrollment in the University and if so, under what conditions.

Students are strongly encouraged to go to one another in brotherly love and speak the truth. However, if a student is fearful or uncomfortable approaching the offending student, he or she should report the suspected violation to the Dean of Students.

Students are responsible for displaying conduct and behavior that reflect favorably on them, the University, and the community. Accordingly, the University reserves the right to take disciplinary action in response to behavior off campus that violates University standards and policies or adversely affects the University community and/or the pursuit of its objectives. The University also reserves the right to take disciplinary actions for violations of University standards by graduates awaiting degrees and students who withdraw from school while a disciplinary matter is pending.

Students who are actively struggling with issues and behaviors that violate community standards or University policies are encouraged to seek support and help. They will be required to participate in an accountability contract and/or seek professional assistance rather than proceed through the judicial process. Students who request help will be asked to abstain from behaviors that violate University policies. If violations continue while engaged in the accountability contract or professional assistance, the student will be subject to disciplinary action. Student leaders that seek support may have reasonable and applicable expectations and boundaries set while they seek assistance.

The violations listed in this handbook are not comprehensive in nature. The University faculty and administration reserve the right to confront and/or address other behaviors that are viewed by the University as dangerous, destructive, or inconsistent with the University of Mobile mission and related statements of philosophy.

Authority for Student Conduct and Judicial Process

The guidelines for behavior outlined in this handbook, the University catalog, and any other student related publications, outline the judicial process. The Dean of Students and his or her designees with assistance from the Faculty Disciplinary Committee will be responsible for conducting investigations, gathering evidence, and enforcing all University rules and regulations related to student behavior. The Dean of Students (or designees) is responsible for administering the judicial process as it relates to any allegations or complaints involving University students. The Dean of Students (or designees) may contact parents before or after the judicial process is complete if the student is under the age of 18 or if safety or health concerns exist. Additionally, parents may be notified if a student under the age of 21 violates the alcohol or drug policies. For certain offenses, the authority to conduct a hearing and recommend sanctions may be delegated to Faculty Discipline Committee or other appropriate University of Mobile officials. When disciplinary action is necessary in response to behavior not specifically listed in this handbook, The Dean of Students (or designees) is responsible for interpreting the spirit of this handbook and the University’s philosophy. Campus Life Coordinators typically administer sanctions for the first offense of a residential policy. Penalties imposed must bear a reasonable relationship to the violation. Students attending the University who receive sanctions related to their conduct may become immediately ineligible for all or a portion of UM funded scholarships or grants. If a student subject to conduct proceedings indicates they have a mental/behavioral disorder, that student will be required to complete a psychological assessment with the University counselor. A student accused of a violation of University regulations has the following rights:

Student Rights

  • The student may have a person of choice from the University community to advise or assist in any hearings.
  • Neither legal counsel nor parents may represent students or attend disciplinary hearings. However, students may request notes from the hearing or may request a post-hearing meeting with parents and University officials conducting the hearing to discuss the proceedings and the outcome. The Dean of Students (or designees) may grant exceptions to this policy under certain circumstances at his/her discretion. In cases involving dating violence, domestic violence, sexual assault, and stalking, students may be accompanied by an advisor to proceeding or related meetings for the purpose of support, guidance, and/or advice. Advisors are limited to communication with the student they are advising.
  • The student can request a written statement of charges.
  • The student can offer personal testimony and witnesses on his/her own behalf.
  • The student may exercise his or her right to appeal sanctioning decisions as outlined in this handbook.


  • The Student Disciplinary Sanction Appeal Request Form must be submitted to the Dean of Students (or designees) and will be reviewed by the appropriate member of the judicial process. An appeal must be presented in writing within 24 hours of the original sanctioning decision, unless otherwise designated in the sanction notification.
  • Appeals may be submitted in person during office hours in the Office of Enrollment Services and Campus Life, via email or fax. It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that the form was received.

Upon receipt of a student appeal, the Dean of Students (or designee) will forward the written appeal along with any other appropriate information to the judicial body that will review the request for appeal. The Dean of Students (or designees) will notify the student in writing of the decision. If the appeal cannot be considered within one week of the appeal request, the Dean of Students (or designee) will notify the student in writing. Decisions of the Discipline Committee may be appealed to the President of the University within 24 hours of the Discipline Committee decision. A decision of the President is not subject to further appeal.

Community Standards

Any student who commits, aids or attempts to commit any of the following acts of misconduct may face disciplinary action through the University’s judicial system.

Community Standard: Integrity

  • Cheating, plagiarism, or other forms of academic dishonesty.
  • Violation of the visitation policy as outlined in the Residential Living Policies and Procedures above.
  • Tampering with the election of any University recognized student organization.
  • Living off campus while not meeting the off-campus eligibility requirements.
  • Illegal downloads: movies, music, software, etc.
  • Theft.
  • Violation of federal, state, or local law on University premises or at a University sponsored or supervised activity.
  • Forgery, alteration, or the unauthorized possession or use of University documents, records or instruments of identification.
  • Dressing inappropriately. Students are expected to be neatly, modestly, and appropriately dressed at all times. Clothing with obscene pictures or messages and clothing with advertisements for products not in keeping with the University’s philosophy are not appropriate. Shirts and shoes are required in all University buildings and at all University sponsored or approved functions. Responsibility for dress is placed upon each student. Faculty and staff members may determine whether a given mode of dress disrupts the learning environment.
  • Unauthorized and/or inappropriate use of computers is prohibited. Such use includes, but is not limited to, damaging or altering records or programs; furnishing false information; invading the privacy of another user by using files, programs, or data without permission; engaging in disruptive and annoying behavior; and any unauthorized use of computer hardware, software, accounts, passwords, or keywords.
  • It is considered a misuse of computers to view, obtain, or send pornographic material.
  • Any incident that, in the judgment of the University administration, reflects negatively on the image of the University will be considered a violation of community standards.

Community Standard: Respect

  • Conduct which is disorderly, lewd, or indecent; breach of peace; or aiding, abetting, or procuring another person to breach the peace on University premises or at functions sponsored by, or participated in by, the University of Mobile.
  • Posting and/or submitting personal information or photographic images of yourself or others for display on the internet that may be considered contrary to the philosophy of the University of Mobile.
  • Harassment: The intentional infringement upon the rights of any member of the community, including the persistent interruption of a reasonable level of peace and quiet.
  • Use of cellphones or other electronic devices or computing facilities to obtain or send obscene or abusive messages.

Community Standard: Stewardship

  • Damage to or littering on public grounds.
  • The unauthorized use or the abuse, destruction, or theft of property of the University or any of its members, guests, or neighbors. This regulation includes the unauthorized appropriation or “borrowing” of common property for personal use. It also includes unauthorized use, abuse, destruction, or theft or property in University care of custody.
  • Based on the University’s religious beliefs and foundations, sexual misconduct includes, but is not limited to, the promotion, advocacy, practice, or acts of sexual abuse; sexual assault (see student care section of this handbook for more information); sexual harassment; incest; adultery; rape; fornication; the possession of pornographic material; sex outside of a heterosexual marriage; promotion, advocacy or on-going practice of a gay, lesbian, bisexual, or transgender lifestyle; identifying oneself as a gender other than the gender assigned by God at birth; same-sex dating behaviors; or public advocacy of sex outside of marriage. Please see the Sexual Stewardship section of this handbook for more information. 

Community Standard: Safety and Security

  • Use, possession, distribution, being under the influence or in the presence of alcoholic beverages on-campus or at a University sponsored/sanctioned event or evidence of underage drinking on or off campus.
  • Knowingly furnishing false information to a University officer or member of any hearing board acting in performance of their duties, or the failure to provide University personnel with adequate identification upon request.
  • Failure to comply with directions of a University official or law enforcement officers.
  • Hazing, defined as an act which endangers the mental or physical health or safety of a student, or which destroys or removes public or private property, for the purpose of initiation, admission into, affiliation with, or as a condition for continued membership in, a group or organization.
  • Operating a vehicle in violation of traffic rules or as to endanger people or property.
  • Ejecting any objects from the windows, roofs, or balconies of University buildings.
  • Climbing on top of the roofs of buildings or in other unauthorized areas.
  • Unintentional discharge or misuse of personal defense devices. The owner is responsible for maintaining control and assuring proper usage of these devices.
  • Physical abuse, verbal abuse, threats, intimidation, coercion and/or other conduct which threatens or endangers the health, safety, or security of any person.
  • Illegal or unauthorized possession or use of fireworks, explosives, knives, razors, metal knuckles, hatchets, foils, stun guns, Tasers®, blackjacks, nunchuks, bows and arrows, other weapons, or dangerous chemicals on University premises.
  • Use, possession or distribution of narcotics or controlled substances except as expressly permitted by law. (Also see drug and alcohol policy in this handbook)
  • Tampering with fire extinguishers, fire alarm boxes, or smoke or heat detectors anywhere on University property or making a false report concerning a fire, bomb, or other emergency.
  • Firearms are strictly prohibited on University premises. This includes, but is not limited to: paintball guns, air soft guns, BB/pellet guns, cross bows, compound bows and any other projectile launching device deemed dangerous by University officials.
  • Vagrancy on campus, to include unauthorized use of university buildings/ property for temporary or long-term housing, and use of campus facilities for primary hygiene needs.

Drug & Alcohol Policy

The University of Mobile aims to foster an alcohol-and-drug-free environment in which to work, live, learn, and grow.  The University of Mobile is therefore, a “dry campus.”  No alcoholic beverages may be brought or consumed on University property even if the student is twenty one years of age. Any student found consuming, in possession, under the influence of, or in the presence of alcohol will be subject to University disciplinary action.

University of Mobile prohibits the unlawful manufacture, possession, use, sale, or transfer of controlled substances or designer drugs on or off the campus. It is also a violation of University policy for anyone to possess, use, sell, transfer in, be under the influence of, or in the presence of alcohol or drugs on the campus or at a University related activity off campus. The presence of empty liquor bottles, beer cans, or drug paraphernalia within the boundaries of the University campus is also prohibited and will be considered a violation of the alcohol policy.

Anyone violating these policies is subject to disciplinary action ranging from a reprimand to expulsion. Drug and alcohol violations may also be crimes under the statutes in the State of Alabama Criminal Code and may be reported to the appropriate law enforcement officials.

The Athletic Department conducts random and/or suspicion-based drug and alcohol testing of students that participate in the intercollegiate athletics program. The Vice President of Athletics will serve as the designated university administrator responsible for conducting investigations, gathering evidence, and enforcing University rules and regulations related to student-athlete behavior.  If a University of Mobile student suspects that a student athlete is taking drugs or using alcohol, the student should report this information to a coach, the Vice President of Athletics or the Dean of Students.

Sexual Harassment

The University of Mobile does not tolerate harassment, and the purpose of this policy is to delineate a means to address legitimate complaints of harassment by students of the University of Mobile. “Harassment” includes unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, and other verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature or gender-based nature (behavior that is not sexual in nature, but is directed at a person because of their gender) nature when:

  • submission to such conduct is made either explicitly or implicitly a term or condition of an individual’s employment or access to or enjoyment of an educational benefit;
  • submission to or rejection of such conduct is used as a basis for employment or academic decisions or decisions concerning the educational benefits affecting the individual; or
  • conduct that has the purpose or effect of unreasonably interfering with an individual’s work or academic performance or other educational benefit or creating an intimidating, hostile or offensive working, learning, or living environment

Sexual harassment often occurs when one individual has actual or apparent authority over another person, such as a faculty member who can affect a student’s grades, or a supervisor who can affect terms and conditions of employment of a subordinate. But sexual harassment can occur between two individuals or any rank or status. For example, it is possible for students to sexually harass each other, a student to sexually harass a faculty member, and a subordinate employee to sexually harass the supervisor.

Sexual harassment is absolutely prohibited, whether the harassing individual is a student, employee, contractor, volunteer, or any other person who benefits from a relationship with the University.

Examples of sexual harassment include but are not limited to:

  • An attempt to coerce an unwilling peson into a sexual relationship;
  • Unwelcome questions about sexual behavior or sexual preference;
  • Unwelcome verbal conduct such as sexual innuendo, suggestive comments, jokes of a sexual nature;
  • Unwelcome commentary about an individual’s body, appearance, or sexuality;
  • Displaying, distributing, or posting of graphic or sexually suggestive objects, pictures, cartoons, or graffiti by any means, including but not limited to computer networks, cell phones, tablets, or any other electronic device;
  • Repeatedly subjecting a person to egregious, unwelcome sexual attention;
  • Suggestive, insulting, or obscene comments or gestures;
  • Punishing a refusal to comply with a sexual-based request;
  • Conditioning a benefit on submitting to sexual advances;
  • Sexual or intimate partner violence;
  • Gender-based stalking;
  • Gender-based bullying.

A student may report an alleged violation of this policy to a faculty member or staff member. In each of these cases, the complaint shall be reported within 24 hours to the Dean of Students.  In the event that the complaint is against the Dean of Students, the student shall report the complaint to the Vice President for Academic Affairs.

Sexual Stewardship

The University of Mobile affirms that all of life, including one’s sexuality, must be submitted to the authority of Jesus.  Therefore, the university affirms the view of sexuality and marriage that is rooted in the creation order of Genesis and affirmed by Jesus and the totality of the Bible.  This means the University of Mobile affirms that sexual relationships are designed by God to be expressed solely within marriage between husband and wife.  The university affirms this biblical view because of the relational, procreative, and societal good that biblical marriage provides.

Sexual relations of any kind outside the confines of marriage are inconsistent with the teaching of Scripture, as understood by Christian churches throughout history.  Students who enroll at the university do so willingly and understand that they will be encouraged regularly to follow the teachings of Scripture including the biblical teaching related to marriage and family. All students are expected to conduct themselves in such a manner so as to not undermine the teachings or mission of the University regarding these religious views. 

The university affirms that every person is created in the image of God and therefore uniquely valuable.  Simultaneously, because we live in a fallen world every person experiences alienation from who God created us to be.  Some experience this alienation acutely in their sexuality and gender identity. University of Mobile staff and faculty are committed to loving every student including those struggling with same-sex behavior, same-sex attraction, sexual orientation, and/or gender identity.  This means university staff and faculty will attempt to create an environment where students struggling with these issues feel both safe and cared for.  In addition to care, university staff and faculty will provide accountability and seek ways to communicate truth graciously as modeled by Jesus. 

Sexual purity is an essential element of our walk with God. The University of Mobile promotes a lifestyle and campus culture that values sexual purity and the Christian sexual ethic. Student behavior that is inconsistent with UMobile’s sexual purity standards and lifestyle are prohibited, even when between consenting adults, as this behavior undermines the religious teachings and mission of the University of Mobile. In regards to behavior, all students are responsible for their actions, sexual and otherwise.  At the University of Mobile, staff and faculty are committed to helping students develop toward Christ-like maturity in their daily practices.  With this said, sexual behavior contrary to UMobile’s community standards will be addressed through a disciplinary process in a redemptive manner.

Student Classroom Behavioral Expectations

Students and faculty each have a responsibility in maintaining an appropriate learning environment. Students are expected to conduct themselves in a mature manner that does not distract from or disrupt the educational pursuits of others. Examples of distracting behavior, include but are not limited to: uninvited casual talk among students, use of cell phones or other electronics, sleeping, or inappropriate behavior toward fellow students or faculty. Examples of disruptive behavior, including but not limited to: a false report of an explosive or incendiary device, which constitutes a threat or bomb scare; verbal, written, or physical abuse (or threats of physical abuse) to any member of the University community.

Should a professor determine that a student’s conduct is distracting or disruptive, the professor may impose the student’s immediate removal from the classroom until it can be determined by the faculty member that the student can conduct him/herself in an appropriate manner. Behaviors which may have been influenced by a student’s mental state or use of drugs or alcoholic beverages shall not in any way limit the responsibility of the student for the consequences of his or her actions. Students who fail to cooperate or adhere to behavioral standards, as set forth in the course syllabus, may be subject to sanctions imposed by the University student judicial process. Professors may refer students for disciplinary action.

Faculty members have the professional responsibility to treat students with understanding, dignity and respect, to guide classroom discussion and to set reasonable limits on the manner in which students express opinions.

Solicitation and Operating a Business

The University reserves the right to deny permission to students to operate a business, to sell any kind of merchandise, solicit subscriptions or engage in any kind of commercial activity on the University campus. Permission will not be given to businesses that compete with campus vendors; use the University computer network, servers, computers, bandwidth, etc.; take up large amounts of University facility space; or use University resources.


The University maintains comprehensive policies and guidelines regarding the appropriate use of technology by students which includes but is not limited to web content filtering and tracking, copyright infringement, firewall protection, traffic optimization practices, user usage limitation, etc. These policies are available on MyUM and students are expected to abide by these expectations. Violations are subject to disciplinary sanction.

Sexual Assault

The University of Mobile prohibits all forms of sexual abuse and assault which can include but is not limited to sexual coercion, stalking, intimidation, assault, and rape. Sexual assault is a violent crime that can be committed by a person either known or unknown to a person. University of Mobile recognizes the nationwide prevalence of sexual offenses and it publicly states that such behavior, whether forcible or non-forcible, will not be tolerated in any form. Offenders are subject to criminal prosecution under Alabama law and disciplinary action through the University of Mobile judicial process. The University may pursue such action whether or not legal proceedings are underway or if authorities choose not to prosecute, and may use information from third party sources, such as law enforcement agencies and the courts, to determine whether University rules have been broken. Conversely, the University makes no attempt to shield members of the community from the law, nor does it intervene in legal proceedings against a member of the community. The University reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to take action under this policy for off-campus behavior.

Since initial information regarding a sexual assault may come from a variety of campus and community sources, it is necessary that the Dean of Students (or designees) be notified and serve as the administrator charged with coordinating services. Exceptions to this notification process occur when the victim refuses to release information about the incident and/or is protected by the ethical and legal “confidentiality privilege” afforded to the University counseling staff. Victims are assured that any referral will be confidential and is intended to help the victim meet his/her needs during this time of crisis. The victim will also be assured that he/she will be in control of decisions regarding formal charges and nothing “automatic” will take place by nature of being referred to the appropriate personnel listed above. This approach is meant to reduce potential fear and anxiety about being referred to an administrative office and reinforce that this procedure is strictly enacted to assist the victim. The Dean of Students or a designee, will be the university representative in discussions with parents and/or significant others when the victim so requests and in all cases in which a minor (person under 18 years of age) is involved.

Guidelines for the Victim to Follow After a Rape or Sexual Assault

  • Get to a safe place as soon as you can.
  • Try to preserve all physical evidence.
  • Get medical attention as soon as possible
  • Contact the police.
  • Talk with a University official or counselor.
  • Contact someone you trust to be with you.

What Happens When A Sexual Offense Is Reported

The appropriate personnel listed previously, once informed about a sexual assault case, will work with the victim either directly or indirectly to link the student with appropriate services. In order to provide a comprehensive approach to the victim’s needs the following departments will serve as the “front line” for sexual assault cases. The following is a listing of specific areas of responsibility and assistance they each have and/or can provide for the victim upon request.

  • Health Services will contact a hospital or the Rape Crisis Center Hotline for medical evaluation and treatment. The campus nurse will make a referral for AIDS counseling and testing, supportive treatment for physical ailments resulting from abuse, pregnancy testing, and testing for sexually transmitted diseases as appropriate.
  • Campus Security will establish the date, time and location of the alleged assault. The security officer will conduct the preliminary investigation, including collection and verification of all available facts and circumstances and will contact the local police department based on the victim’s wishes. The Dean of Students will also receive an incident report.
  • Counseling Services will provide referral resources for psychological assessment. If immediate attention is requested by the victim, he/she will be referred to the local Rape Crisis Center, otherwise, guidance will be provided the next business day. Meetings with professionals are confidential and can be scheduled by calling 251.442.2639. Office hours are Monday-Friday from 8:00-4:30. Victims will be informed about services and resources that are available on-campus and off-campus.
  • Changes in the victim’s academic, living and/or employment situations will be made upon request when such changes are reasonably feasible.
  • When the alleged offender is a faculty member or non-faculty employee, the offense will be referred to the Vice President for Academic Affairs and the Director of Human Resources.

The Department of Public Safety can be reached at 251.510.4273 or www.umobile.edu/security 24 hours a day and 7 days a week including holidays and emergencies.

What Happens When The Accused Offender Is A Student?

The accused will:

  • be informed of and have access to campus resources for medical, counseling, and advisory services;
  • be fully informed of the nature, rules and procedures of the campus judicial process and given timely notice of all alleged violations within the complaint, including the nature of the violation and possible sanctions;
  • granted a hearing on the complaint, including timely notice of the hearing date, and adequate time for preparation;
  • granted a discipline committee comprised of representatives of both genders;
  • granted a decision based solely on evidence presented during the judicial process. Such evidence shall be credible, relevant, based in fact, and without prejudice;
  • given the right to appeal the findings and sanction(s) of the Discipline Committee, as described in the discipline appeal section of the Student Handbook.

Disciplinary Sanctions for Misconduct

Violation of University policies, including the University of Mobile Community Standards, may result in the imposition of one or more of the sanctions listed below. A sanction is a disciplinary action that requires the student to meet certain expectations and/or complete specific requirements within a stated time frame. Sanctions that may be imposed are not limited to those listed.

Sanctions affecting the conduct of students are based on general principles of fair treatment. Sanctions will take into account the intent of the accused, the effect of the conduct on the victim and/or University community, the student’s disciplinary history, whether sanctions such as education and community service are likely to change the student’s conduct, and the student’s needs and prospects for improvement. While attempting to be consistent in its disciplinary decisions, the University also seeks to be fair and sensitive to the facts and circumstances of

each individual case. Some sanctions may need to be more punitive due to the seriousness of the offense.

One or More of the Sanctions Listed Below May Be Imposed for Student Conduct Violations:

  • Reprimand: An informal warning that continuation or repetition of inappropriate behavior may result in a more severe sanction.
  • Disciplinary Warning: An official written notification that a student’s behavior is in violation of University regulations or standards, with clarification of expected behavior in the future. Further misconduct may be treated with more serious sanctions.
  • Referral for Counseling: Students may be referred for counseling, either on-campus or to an appropriate professional agency, at the expense of the student. Progress reports are to be provided as requested by the Dean of Students.
  • Campus Service: When deemed appropriate, the University official may require the performance of a specified number of campus service hours either on or off campus.
  • Fines or Restitution Fines: ranging from $25.00-$500.00 may be levied for policy violations. Fines or restitution are payable to the University by the date specified by the University official. When deemed appropriate, the University official may require restitution for damages done or other payment for expenses incurred as a result of the student’s actions.
  • Educative Sanctions: Tasks, assignments or experiences which a student is obligated to complete. Examples are: letters of apology; research on an issue related to the offense; attending a workshop, accountability sessions, lectures or other meetings. Failure to comply may result in further sanctions such as suspension, denial of the privilege to re-enroll, or dismissal.
  • Disciplinary Probation: Disciplinary probation implies that the individual’s standing within the University is in jeopardy and that further negligent or willful violations will normally result in immediate suspension or expulsion.
  • Disciplinary Probation with Restriction: In addition to Disciplinary Probation listed above, Disciplinary Probation with restriction involves the imposition of specified restrictions and/or prohibits the student from participation in designated activities for a stated period of time. The extent of the restrictions and the length of the period of restriction is determined by the magnitude of the offense. A record of the loss of privilege will be maintained by the Dean of Students. Additional infractions of the University rules and regulations during a period of restriction may lead to probation, suspension, or dismissal.
  • Disciplinary Suspension: Separates the student from the University for a specified period of time, prohibits attendance at any classes, social events or other functions, and visiting University grounds or buildings unless by written permission. A suspension will be recorded on the student’s academic record until suspension expires.  Suspensions may be indefinite.
  • Suspension from Residential Housing: Under certain circumstances it may be permissible to remove a student from residential housing on a permanent basis or on an intermediate suspension prior to a judicial hearing. An intermediate suspension is not to exceed 5 business days. Reasons would be an existing or perceived threat to safety or well-being of individual members of the campus community or the campus community in general.
  • Revocation of institutional gift aid: In certain circumstances, particularly those that jeopardize the integrity or reputation of the University, all or a portion of a student’s UM institutional aid may be revoked.
  • Denial of Privilege to Reenroll: This sanction places the student on indefinite disciplinary probation, may allow for the completion of the current semester but prohibits enrollment for subsequent semesters without permission from the Dean of Students.
  • Disciplinary Dismissal: Any student who receives disciplinary dismissal will be permanently excluded from the University of Mobile. Once a student has been dismissed, he or she is not eligible for readmission. Disciplinary dismissal is permanently recorded on the student’s academic record maintained by the Registrar’s Office.

Grievance Procedures

Student Appeals and Grievances

Any student who believes that he or she has been treated unfairly under these guidelines should first address the matter with the staff member responsible. If the problem is not resolved, the student may meet with the Dean of Students (or designees). If the complaint is still not resolved, the student may then appeal to the President in writing.