2020-2021 Academic Catalog & Student Handbooks 
    Apr 12, 2021  
2020-2021 Academic Catalog & Student Handbooks

Graduate Programs


Admission Requirements for Graduate Programs

Requests for applications and other admission forms should be addressed to the office of admissions. Specific program information will be provided. The application and supporting documents should be received at least three weeks prior to the date of registration. Applicants should consult the appropriate section of this catalog for specific admission requirements. In some instances, letters of recommendation and/or personal interviews with a University representative may be requested. A graduate student must be eligible to return to each institution previously attended to be considered for admission to the graduate programs at the University of Mobile. Applicants may be admitted in one of the following categories.

Unconditional Admission

To qualify for unconditional admission, the student must:

  1. Hold a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution of higher education;
  2. File the application in the office of admissions and furnish the various materials listed in the instructions;
  3. Pay a non-refundable application fee;
  4. Furnish official transcript(s) from each institution attended, showing all credits previously earned;
  5. See individual catalog sections for GPA requirements; and
  6. Submit acceptable test scores. See individual catalog sections for test information.

Conditional Admission

Conditional admission may be granted to applicants who lack prerequisite (or foundation) course work, or whose GPA’s and/or test scores do not qualify for unconditional acceptance. Students must fulfill steps 1-4 as listed above and submit GPA and testing information for consideration by the dean of the specific program. Appeals may be made to the vice president for academic affairs, the area graduate dean, and the area graduate faculty. Specific information on conditional admission is provided in the appropriate sections of this catalog.

Non-Degree Admission

Students with bachelor’s degrees who desire to take graduate courses but who are not working toward graduate degrees may enroll as non-degree graduate students. Enrollment as a non-degree student, however, does not guarantee admission to a graduate class. Each applicant must provide the office of admissions with the following:

  1. A completed application for admission;
  2. A non-refundable application fee;
  3. An official transcript from the last institution attended showing grades and degree(s) earned; and
  4. A letter from applicant stating intent to be a non-degree student.

Transient Admission

Transient students may enroll with transient admission status. Each applicant must provide the office of admissions with the following:

  1. A completed application for admission;
  2. A non-refundable application fee; and
  3. A letter of approval from the vice president for academic affairs or registrar of the institution from which the student wishes to be a transient.

Clear-to-Register Admission

Prior to completing the admission process, new students are allowed to register for one academic period (semester) as clear-to-register. Students may enroll in two graduate courses (six semester hours) during this time, but students who need undergraduate prerequisite courses can possibly enroll in more with their advisor’s permission.

An applicant previously charged, arrested, or convicted of any crime other than a minor traffic violation, is required to complete the criminal conviction questionnaire before a final admission decision can be made. The University reserves the right to require additional documentation. After the applicant has met the entrance requirements, the Graduate Council will review the applicant’s file to determine if the student is eligible for admission. Initial admittance to the University of Mobile Graduate Programs does not imply automatic admission in future semesters. Providing false information on the application for admission or the application for readmission is grounds for denial of a candidate. Any graduate student admitted by giving false information on the application for admission or the application for readmission may be dismissed.

Early Admissions into Graduate School

Graduate programs which afford University of Mobile students early admission into graduate school are the MBA program paired with an undergraduate major in the School of Business, the M.S. in Leadership and Communication paired with an undergraduate major in Management or Communication, and the M.A. in Biblical/Theological Studies paired with B.A. major in Biblical/Theological Studies. Interested students should contact the appropriate dean for more information.

Transfer Credit for Graduate Programs

A maximum of six semester hours of graduate credit earned from another accredited institution may be considered as part of the graduate degree programs. These credits will be evaluated by the appropriate graduate dean and the registrar. Application of transfer credits to a student’s plan of study must be approved by the corresponding area dean or the student’s graduate advisory committee.

Readmission of Former Students to Graduate Programs

A student must apply for readmission if he or she has not registered for one regular term (fall or spring) before attempting to resume graduate work. An application should be submitted to the office of admissions at least three weeks before the opening session in which the student wishes to continue his or her studies. Submitting an application for readmission does not automatically guarantee admission to the graduate program.

Permission for Undergraduate Students to Enroll in Graduate Classes

A senior undergraduate who has at least a 2.75 cumulative grade point average and who lacks nine or fewer hours toward graduation may (with the approval of the advisor and graduate dean) enroll in six or fewer graduate hours in the last semester of undergraduate work. Credit granted will appear on the undergraduate transcript only.

Definition of Full-time Graduate Student

The definition of a full-time graduate student is six to ten (6-10) hours per academic period (semester). Permission to take more than ten credit hours must be obtained within the appropriate college/department. An exception to this policy is the graduate student enrolled in the internship (3 hrs.) in the School of Education. The internship in education is considered a normal load for a full-time graduate student.

Financial Aid Information for Graduate Students

Students who provide a valid Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) are eligible to apply for federal unsubsidized loans and graduate PLUS loans here.   Loan eligibility is based on financial need, satisfactory academic progress, cost of attendance, and other aid awarded. Depending on eligibility a graduate student could receive up to $20,500 in federal loans annually and up to their cost of attendance in graduate PLUS loans. Payment of principal and interest can be deferred until after graduation.  Federal loans are processed on a term by term basis based on program of enrollment and academic period (semester). A student must be enrolled in at least half-time (six hours) during the term he or she requests a loan.  In addition to the FAFSA results students must complete 2020-2021 Loan Request Form located here.

Veterans Benefits

Eligibility is determined by the Veterans Administration, and potentially eligible students should contact their local Veterans Administration representative.

Grade Requirements for Graduate Financial Aid

All undergraduate prerequisites and deficiencies taken must be completed with a “C” or better to qualify for financial aid. Students are expected to make progress toward the degree by making grades no lower than “B” on courses to qualify for financial aid. If a “C” is earned student will be placed on financial aid probation.  When the six-hour limit of grades of “C” or below is exceeded, the student will be dropped automatically from receiving financial aid and placed on financial aid suspension.  The student has the right to appeal the financial aid decision.

Financial Aid for the Intergrated Undergraduate and Graduate School Programs

A student who chooses an integrated program as his or her major will be assigned a specific academic advisor. As the student nears the end of undergraduate coursework in the program, the academic advisor will formally recommend the student for reclassification to graduate status. A student with any of these intended majors may receive University funded financial aid for their years as a traditional undergraduate student for up to a maximum of 8 semesters but once classified as a graduate student they are no longer eligible to recieve University funded aid. When the student has been recommended for reclassification to graduate status, the student may then receive federal loans as graduate.

Financial Aid for Post-Baccalaureate Students Seeking Class B Teacher Certification

Post-baccalaureate students seeking Class B teacher certification must maintain a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 2.75. To be considered for financial aid (federally-subsidized loans), students must enroll in a minimum of six (6) hours per academic period (semester).

Grading Policies for Graduate Programs

The grading system for graduate programs uses the following designations: A, B, C, D, F, W, I, AU or T, WP, WF, P, S, U and NR.. See Retention in Graduate Programs  below.

Grade Appeals/Grade Correction Requests for Graduate Programs

The procedures for grade correction/grade appeal are the same as those for undergraduate programs. Please see the Undergraduate Academic Information  section of this catalog for more information.

Academic Dishonesty and Conduct Code

Students attending the University of Mobile are expected to reflect a high standard of academic integrity and conduct in accord with basic Christian principles and the mission of the University.  Refer to the undergraduate section of this catalog for more information–Academic Dishonesty and Conduct Code .

Residence Requirement for Graduate Programs

All graduate credits, except transfer credits, must be resident credits from the University of Mobile. No degree requirement may be met through extension, correspondence, or adult education programs of other schools.

Repeated Courses in Graduate Programs

Graduate students are allowed to repeat courses for graduate credit. All courses taken and all grades earned will be recorded on the student’s permanent record. All grades earned will be included in the computation of the grade point average.

Retention in Graduate Programs

All undergraduate prerequisites and deficiencies must be completed with a “C” or better. Students are expected to make progress toward the degree by making grades no lower than “B” on graduate courses. Therefore, students may count only six graduate semester hours of work with grade “C” toward the degree. When the six-hour limit of grades of “C” or below is exceeded, the student will be dismissed automatically from the graduate program. The student has the right to appeal this decision to the vice president for academic affairs. If the student is readmitted to the program, he or she must repeat courses with grade of “C” in excess of the six-hour limit and all courses in which a grade of “F” was received. Individual graduate programs may have more stringent requirements.

Applications by Dismissed Students from Graduate Programs

After a student has been dismissed from a University of Mobile graduate program, no new application for admission will be considered until at least two regular academic periods (semesters) or a regular academic period (semester) and a full summer have passed. After this time, an application and application fee must be submitted to the office of admissions. A student who reapplies for admission after a dismissal must present evidence to the graduate council that he or she has taken measures to improve the probability of performing at the required level in graduate work. Upon a second dismissal, a student has exhausted the appeal process.

Application for Graduate Degree

Application for a degree should be submitted to the registrar’s office one academic period (semester) prior to the anticipated academic period (semester) of graduation.

Graduation Requirements for Graduate Programs

To graduate, the student must have satisfactorily completed prescribed course requirements. (See appropriate sections of the catalog for more information.) The course requirements are:

  1. A minimum overall 3.00 GPA on all graduate work attempted (School of Education: 3.25);
  2. An acceptable score on the comprehensive examination; and
  3. A minimum of thirty semester hours for the Master of Arts in Biblical/Theological Studies;
  4. A minimum of thirty-three semester hours for the Master of Arts in Elementary or Early Childhood Education; or
  5. A minimum of thirty-nine semester hours for the Master of Arts in Elementary and Early Childhood Education; or
  6. A minimum of forty-two semester hours for the Master of Arts in Education for Alternative Certification; or
  7. A minimum of thirty semester hours for the Master of Business Administration; or
  8. A minimum of thirty-six semester hours for the Master of Science in Leadership and Communication; or
  9. A minimum of forty-one semester hours for the Master of Science in Nursing; or
  10. A minimum of forty-six semester hours for the Master of Science in Nursing - Family Nurse Practitioner; or
  11. A minimum of sixty semester hours for the Master of Arts in Marriage and Family Counseling Degree; or
  12. A minimum of thirty-three semester hours for the Master of Education in Higher Education Leadership; or
  13. A minimum of thirty-two semester hours for the Master of Music in Piano Performance; or
  14. A minimum of thirty-eight semester hours for the Master of Music in Vocal Performance.

Time Limit to Complete Graduate Programs

All requirements for a degree must be completed within six years from initial enrollment with the exception of the School of Education which has a five-year limit.


Admission Requirements of International Students to Graduate Programs

Students who are not citizens or legal residents of the United States of America are considered international students. International applications must submit the following:

  1. completed international application;
  2. non-refundable application fee;
  3. financial affidavit;
  4. photocopy of the following, if transferring from an institution located in the United States: SEVIS I-20, I-94, a valid passport, and transfer eligibility form;
  5. a degree that is equivalent to the B.S. or B.A. at a United States institution;
  6. official transcript(s) from institutions attended;
  7. evaluation and English translation of transcripts from colleges or universities not located in the United States;
  8. official TOEFL score of 550 or better on the paper-based test, 213 or higher on the computer-based test, or 79-80 or higher on the internet-based test;
  9. the appropriate official satisfactory test score before enrolling in a graduate level class; and
  10. a trial schedule as full-time student (9 hours) for graduate students.

Coursework Taken at International Institutions

Undergraduate coursework taken at an international institution must be evaluated for U.S. institution equivalence. International coursework must be evaluated by one of the services listed below. The applicant should contact one of these services. Master of Arts in Education international students must use one of the evaluation services approved by Alabama State Department of Education guidelines.

World Education Services, Inc.
Bowling Green Station
P. O. Box 5087
New York, NY 10274-5087/USA
(212) 966-6311

Josef Silny & Associates, Inc.
International Education Consultants
7101 SW 102 Avenue
Miami, FL 33173/USA
(305) 273-1616

Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc.
P. O. Box 514070
Milwaukee, WI 53203-3470/USA
(414) 289-3400

International Education Evaluations, Inc.
7900 Mathews-Mint Hill Road, Suite 300
Charlotte, NC 28227
(704)772-0109; Fax: (704)545-2484