2014-2015 Undergraduate & Graduate Catalog & Student Handbook 
    May 16, 2022  
2014-2015 Undergraduate & Graduate Catalog & Student Handbook [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Student Handbook

University Community Standards

The University of Mobile is a Christian community dedicated to supporting the intellectual, spiritual, cultural, and personal growth of students in their search for meaningful careers.

Together, faculty, staff and students seek to honor Christ by integrating faith, learning, and leadership.

The University relies on the teachings of Scripture as the supreme standard for all human conduct and relationships. Thus it provides the framework for our community standards and expectations. (II Timothy 3:16-17)

We believe that Scripture teaches that certain characteristics are to be manifested by members of a Christian community. (Galatians 5:22-23)

In addition, we also believe certain behaviors to be prohibited by Scripture. (Galatians 5:19-21, I Corinthians 6:9-10)


Students are subject to all university and residence hall regulations from the time they arrive on-campus whether they are registered or not.

Any student who fails to comply with the rules and regulations of the university or is not able to become compatible with the institution’s philosophy may forfeit the privilege to continue his/her studies at the University of Mobile.

Failure to become familiar with University policies does not excuse a student from the regulations described in the handbook or catalog nor any penalty resulting from violation of the regulations of the handbook, the catalog, and other student publications that are subject to modification at any time.

The provisions of this student handbook do not constitute a contract, expressed or implied, between the University of Mobile and any applicant, student, student’s family, or faculty member.

The handbook is a general information publication only, and it is not intended to nor does it contain all regulations that relate to students.

The University reserves the right to alter rules, regulations, policies and procedures at any time without further notice. It is the responsibility of the student to reference the most updated version of the student handbook, which is available at www.umobile.edu/myum.

Compliance With Federal Laws

The University of Mobile operates in compliance with all applicable federal laws, including Title IX of the Education Amendments Act of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, all as amended, where applicable. The University of Mobile also complies with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 concerning privacy of students records.

Staff Leadership for Enrollment, Campus Life & Athletics

The executive leadership team for enrollment, campus life, & athletics works together with the university community to provide the highest quality student experience. This team consists of the Vice President, Associate VP for Enrollment Services, Director of Campus Life, Director of Intercollegiate Athletics, Director of Residential Life, Student Relations Supervisor and the Director of Student Retention. Our goal is to provide programming, services and resources that are relevant to the student body. We engage our student leaders as partners in addressing the interests and needs expressed by the student body. The executive leadership team conducts evaluations of our services and programs and uses the feedback to improve the student experience. The executive leadership team also seeks to foster a leadership culture for our students which provides opportunities for mentoring and personal development.

Student Leadership

Campus Life is made up of eight different departments; Student Government (SGA), Campus Ministries, Campus Life Publicity, Residential Life, Athletic Ministry & Involvement, Intramurals, Campus Activities (CAB), and Student Success Center. Campus Life is also responsible for summer staff and Ram Rush, UM’s New Student Orientation week. Each area is led by a team of students and facilitated by a Campus Life Coordinator.

The Campus Life staff and student leaders form one team designed to provide University of Mobile students the best campus experience possible. There are over 160 total student leader positions within Campus Life. Some are elected by the student body, but most are selected through an application and interview process each Spring. The SGA constitution (found on MyUM) provides the details for elected leaders. Campus Life leaders must also obtain the recommendation of a UM faculty or staff member. All student leaders must exhibit a lifestyle that reflects the University’s mission and philosophy and maintain a minimum of a 2.5 gpa in order to be considered for a leadership position or to retain their position of leadership once selected. Furthermore, student leaders who are sanctioned because of a violation of community standards may be censured, removed, or suspended from their leadership position by the University administration or by majority vote of the Student Government Association.

Student Information Desk

The Student Information Desk is located on the 1st floor of Weaver Hall. This area is a one-stop shop for students, parents, and alumni to have questions answered, sign up for events, or get connected with the campus office that can best meet their needs. Several offices are conveniently located adjacent to the Student Information Desk. They are the Student Success Center, Admissions, Financial Aid, Campus Life and the office for the Vice President of Enrollment, Campus Life and Athletics.

Student Complaints

The University of Mobile strives to promptly respond to student complaints, especially written ones. To address and resolve typical complaints as quickly as possible, students should:

  1. Contact the office responsible for overseeing the immediate area causing the concern and express your concern or complaint with the supervisor for that office. The student with a concern or potential appeal should first discuss the issue(s) with the professor or staff member. If the issue is unresolved, the student may appeal to the Dean of the College or School or director/supervisor of the staff member. If the matter is still unresolved, the student may then appeal to the Vice President of the specific area. If the matter cannot be resolved, the student may request a final appeal with President of the University.
  2. Students who are unsure of which Vice President to contact, should be instructed to complete a student complaint form (found at MyUM under documents.) This form can be turned in to the Student Information Desk in Weaver Hall. Any faculty or staff member can also submit a form on behalf of a student. The Vice President for Enrollment, Campus Life, and Athletics will then direct the complaint to the appropriate Vice President for a written response. Students can expect a response time of five business days or less. If a response cannot be made within that time frame the student will be notified by the Vice President (or designee).
  3. If students are uncertain to whom or where to address their written complaints, they should contact the Vice President for Enrollment, Campus Life, and Athletics (adjacent to the Student Information Desk in Weaver Hall) 251.442.2225. The student and Vice President (or designee) will schedule a meeting to discuss the complaint if the student desires. The Vice President (or designee) will help the student in resolving the complaint. If unable to address the complaint, the Vice President (or designee) will assist the student in directing the complaint to the appropriate University official or office.

Students with complaints involving the following issues are advised to contact:

  • Accessibility for those with disabilities, ADA Coordinator, Weaver Hall, 251.442.2284
  • Academics, Vice President for Academic Affairs, Weaver Hall, 251.442.2218
  • Athletics, Director of Intercollegiate Athletics, 251.442.2288
  • Dining Services, Director of Dining Services, 251.442.2261
  • Discrimination Complaints, Vice President for Enrollment, Campus Life, and Athletics, 251.442.2225
  • Residential Facilities, Director of Residential Life, 251.442.2945
  • Residential Staff , Campus Life, 251.442.2563
  • Facilities, Campus Operations, 251.442.2238
  • Financial Aid, Associate Vice President for Financial Aid, 251.442.2370
  • Fees/Bills, Business Office, 251.442.2213
  • Parking Citation Appeals, Campus Operations, 251.442.2245
  • Sexual Harassment, Vice President for Enrollment, Campus Life, and Athletics, 251.442.2225
  • Student Conduct Code Violation Appeal, Vice President for Enrollment, Campus Life, and Athletics, 251.442.2225
  • Wireless Internet Service in the Residence Halls, Director of Residential Life, 251.442.2945
  1. The following procedures have been established to help guide a student-athlete through a potential grievance (with a staff member of the Athletic Department) and hopefully settle the matter in a professional manner:

The student-athlete should meet with the staff member with whom he/she has a grievance. If the grievance is not resolved to the satisfaction of the student-athlete, the student-athlete should write a statement in full detail about the grievance and submit that statement to the Athletic Director. The Athletic Director’s office will then set up an appointment between the student-athlete and the AD. After the first meeting between the student-athlete and the AD, a second meeting may be called to include the person against whom the grievance has been filed.

If the grievance is still not resolved to the satisfaction of the student-athlete, the student-athlete may submit his/her statement to the Vice President for Enrollment Services, Campus Life & Athletics. The Vice President will contact the student if a response to the student-athlete will take longer than five (5) working days and may subsequently call for a meeting between any or all of the aforementioned parties.

If the grievance is still not resolved to the satisfaction of the student athlete, he/she may submit a written appeal to the President.

  1. Students who wish to file a complaint with the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges should complete the Commission Complaint Form and send two print copies to the President, Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges, 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, GA 30033-4097. (To access the Commission complaint policy, procedures, and the Complaint Form, please see Complaint Procedures against the Commission or it’s Accredited Institutions http://sacscoc.org/pdf/081705/complaintpolicy.pdf). Please read the document carefully before submitting a complaint. Note that the complaint policy only addresses significant, documented, alleged non-compliance with the SACSCOC accreditation standards policies or procedures. Complainants are expected to have attempted to resolve the issue through the institution complaint processes before filing a complaint with SACSCOC. The SACSCOC complaint process is not intended to be used to involve the Commission in disputes between individuals and member institutions or to cause the Commission to interpose itself as a reviewing authority in individual matters; nor does the policy allow the Commission to seek redress on an individual’s behalf. The primary purpose of the SACSCOC complaint procedure is to acquire valuable information regarding an accredited institution’s possible non-compliance with accreditation standards, policies and procedures rather than to resolve individual disputes. Complaints must be tied to specific standard numbers from The Principles of Accreditation: Foundations for Quality Enhancement.

On-Campus Demonstrations and Protests

Discussion and expression of all views is permitted within the University, subject only to requirements for the maintenance of order. Events conducted on the campus must not:

  • disturb or interfere with the regular academic or institutional programs of the University
  • interfere with the flow of pedestrian and vehicular traffic on the sidewalks and streets and at places of entry and exit to University buildings; or
  • harass or intimidate the person or persons being solicited.

If an individual or group violates the provisions of this policy, the appropriate University official may prohibit the offender from engaging in any solicitation/protest on the University campus for a specified period of time. In the case of a repeated violation of these rules, the following sanctions shall apply:

  • The Vice President for Enrollment Services, Campus Life and Athletics may suspend or cancel recognition status of an offending student organization.
  • The Vice President for Enrollment Services, Campus Life and Athletics may suspend the use of any University property, resources or facility by an offender.

Student Services

Dining Services

Food service is available through Ingram Dining Hall, the Bedsole Commons and Ram Deli in Weaver Hall during posted hours. View menu and dining hours at: https://www.umobile.edu/myum

All traditional undergraduate students are required to participate in a dining plan. Residence hall students use the campus card for service in the Cafeteria. Commuting students and employees of the University are invited to eat in the cafeteria at the posted meal prices.

Meal memberships are also available for commuting students, faculty, and staff through the Business Office. Cafeteria hours are subject to modification for special events and holidays.

  • The sharing of food with guests (not on a meal plan) is not allowed.
  • All guests are required to pay the proper amount for their meals or have their campus card scanned before entering the food service area.
  • Only those people who are on a meal membership or pay to eat are allowed in the food service area during meal times.
  • Meal memberships are to be used only by the purchaser.
  • Meals are not transferable.
  • To go meals must be taken out of the dining facility.
  • The filling of personal cups or containers with food or beverage in the cafeteria is prohibited.
  • Food, dishes, eating utensils, glasses and trays removed from the cafeteria will result in a $10.00 fine for each item.

The Food Committee is appointed each academic year by the SGA. This group of students, faculty and staff works together in addressing issues pertaining to dining services. Students, faculty and staff who have concerns with the food service should contact any member of the Food Committee or the SGA president.

E-mail Service

All official University of Mobile communications regarding student accounts, policies, and communication with instructors will go through your University of Mobile RamsMail email address. To access your RamsMail email account, go to mail.rams.umobile.edu. Your username will be your first name initial, last name (up to 12 letters), and the last 2 digits of your student ID at rams.umobile.edu (i.e. jcollege56@rams.umobile.edu). Your password will be your first name initial and last name initial (all caps) and your student ID number (i.e. JC123456).

Health Services (Rosemary Adams Building)

It is our aim to promote and help maintain the physical well-being of our students. Any student with a health problem requiring special care or a medical condition that may in any way be a risk to others must provide information about his/her medical circumstances to the Campus Nurse or the Director of Residential Life. Confidentiality will be strictly observed.

Services Provided:

  • Community Agency Information and Referral
  • Doctor and Clinic Referrals
  • Wellness Education Programs
  • Treatment for specific problems as ordered by the doctor (i.e. dressing, allergy shots and other personal medication, blood pressure checks, treatment for minor conditions such as colds, sore throats, headaches and first aid for injuries).

Campus Nurse Contact Information:
251.442.2253 or 251.442.2337
Hours: R.N. is on duty weekdays from 10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.

Campus Cards (Student Information Desk, Weaver Hall)

Upon enrolling, new students are issued an UMobile Campus Card. These cards serve as the official identification card for UMobile students, faculty and staff. All students must have a Campus Card. Campus Cards must be presented to attend campus activities, use the library, use the fitness facilities, use the swimming pool, receive service in the Cafeteria, and participate in visitation in the residence halls. In addition, the UMobile Campus Card contains “campus cash” which can be used to purchase items at various venues on campus, including vending machines, copy machines and printing centers.

Campus Cards must be presented on request to University faculty, staff, or security personnel. This card is not transferable and will be confiscated if presented by anyone other than the person to whom issued. Replacement cards are $20.00 and may be obtained at the Student Information Desk in Weaver Hall, weekdays from 8:00 a.m.- 4:30 p.m.

Please visit MyUM/Campus Center for more information about the UMobile Campus Card and procedures for deactivating lost or stolen cards.

Domestic Student Insurance

Low cost health insurance is available to students through several private companies. For application information, students should check MyUM to connect to available insurance links. Every student is strongly encouraged to enroll at the time of registration unless covered by appropriate insurance.

International Student Insurance

International students are billed automatically for required health insurance. The international student’s account will be billed at the beginning of each academic period to cover the cost of insurance. A written request for exemption to this policy may be filed no later than 10 days after the start of the term. Requests for exemption to this policy are decided by the Vice President of Enrollment, Campus Life and Athletics. This decision will be based on several factors including but not limited to minimum coverage requirements that have been established by the University of Mobile and coordinating insurance agencies. Minimum coverage requirements can be found on the MyUM insurance link for international students. Decisions are final with no appeal permitted.

Intramural Insurance

All intramural participants are required to provide insurance information prior to competing. Health insurance coverage for intramural sports is the sole responsibility of the participant. Notification of insurance changes to intramural staff coordinators is required and failure to keep this information current will result in disqualification of play.

Insurance Requirements For Athletes

Every student-athlete must maintain a current health insurance policy in order to participate in athletics. Failure to submit the appropriate documentation may result in a delay in eligibility to play. For more information see the Student-Athlete Handbook.

Intellectual Property

The University of Mobile supports the intellectual property rights of students. Intellectual property created, made, or originated by a student is usually the property of the student except in the following circumstances: 1) the work is created as a specific requirement of employment, 2) the author has voluntarily transferred the copyright, in whole or in part to the institution, or 3) the university has contributed to a “joint work” under the Copyright Act.

Postal Service (Weaver Hall)

The mailroom, located near the front entrance of Weaver Hall, provides mail services such as postage, envelopes, and express carrier service. Outgoing mail leaves the campus twice each day. Persons living on-campus will be assigned a mailbox by the Residential Life office. Once a mailbox has been secured, resident students should use their box number on all correspondence.

Public Relations

Individuals or groups requesting publicity in University publications or in area television, newspapers and radio must contact the Public Relations & Marketing Office at 251.442.2210.

The Public Relations Office frequently takes photos and videos of students for use in promotional materials as needed. It is the responsibility of the student to notify the Public Relations & Marketing Office to request that photos not be taken.

Postings & Publicity

All advertisements, announcements, and posters must be approved and stamped at the Student Information Desk.

Scheduling and publicity of any campus event open to all students are approved through Campus Life. Postings must be placed in properly designated locations (i.e. bulletin boards).

  • Postings placed on departmental bulletin boards must be approved by the respective department.
  • Postings are not permitted on doors and ceilings, or painted, wooden, marble, or glass surfaces.
  • Postings must be removed within twenty four (24) hours after an advertised event has taken place.
  • Posted materials which do not bear the Campus Life stamp are subject to removal.
  • Only University approved organizations are permitted to advertise events on-campus.
  • Failure to adhere to the advertisement, announcement, and poster policy may result in loss of posting privileges.

Advertising and Solicitation On-Campus

Individuals, businesses or organizations wishing to sell, inform, or recruit on campus property must be approved by the Director of Campus Life or a Vice President. The University has the right to deny any request for campus solicitation.

Students with Disabilities (Weaver Hall)

It is the policy of the University of Mobile to provide reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities as defined in Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. The University coordinates support resources for students with disabilities and is an accommodation resource for faculty and administration. Eligibility for service requires that prior documentation of the disability be reviewed and accepted by the disabilities coordinator.

It is the responsibility of the student to exercise initiative in identifying and obtaining support services.  The student must arrange to have all documentation of his/her disability forwarded to Student Support Services (SSS).  The student must make an appointment with SSS following registration to discuss possible accommodations.  The student should arrange to meet with the Student Support Services Coordinator after the first week of classes to determine any changes to accommodations.  Students will be able to obtain letters for course instructors within 48 hours of request once official documentation has been received and approved.

It is the responsibility of the student to meet with course instructors at the beginning of the semester to provide information regarding their disability and to discuss accommodations and strategies that will be appropriate.  The Student Success Center will provide supportive assistance when requested by the student.

Student Support Services Coordinator - Julia Lucy 251.442.2284

email- jlucy@umobile.edu

Veteran Services (Student Information Desk)

The University of Mobile is approved for instruction by the Veterans Administration. Veterans or dependents of veterans who have questions or desire assistance relative to Veterans Administration regulations should contact the Financial Aid Office.

Student Facilities

Reserving Facilities On-Campus - University approved organizations are allowed to use University facilities, but must reserve the facility in advance. Certain housekeeping fees may apply. To reserve a facility, call Campus Operations at 251.442.2245. For Ram Hall, call 251.442.2225.

Java City (Bedsole Library 1st Floor)

A full service coffee shop is available on the first floor of the library. The facility offers room for small meetings and study, with live music. Ten iMac® computers are available for student use, as well as full printing and copying services.

Fitness Center And Weight Room

Located in the Bedsole Commons this facility is available for use by all students. Hours will be posted each academic period. Students must present their ID.

Golf Driving Range

A self-service facility with a putting green, chipping area and a down range practice area is available for students. Golf balls are available for a small fee.


The gymnasium is open during posted hours for use by students. The gymnasium is also the home of the Rams basketball and volleyball teams. Hours vary according to class, intramurals and intercollegiate athletic schedules and are posted each academic period.

Intramural Complex

The University intramural complex consists of three fully lighted fields. There are two Bermuda grass fields used for football, soccer and Frisbee. Also included in the complex is a full sized softball field with a brick backstop and covered dugouts. A portable outfield fence allows for complex adaptations, and bleachers make it easy and enjoyable to view all of the events. The intramural complex is open to all students for events and open play.

Ram Hall

Ram Hall can entertain up to 450 guests in a versatile, traditional auditorium style atmosphere. Questions on reserving Ram Hall should be directed to the Student Information Desk or 442.2225.

Swimming Pool

The University swimming pool is provided only for students, faculty, and staff; no outside groups are permitted. The swimming pool is open at regularly scheduled times which are announced and posted. When the pool is open, the University provides a qualified lifeguard for supervision. Swimming in the pool without supervision of a qualified and approved lifeguard or when the pool is “closed” is prohibited and constitutes a violation of University regulations. A sand volleyball court is located adjacent to the swimming pool.

Tennis Courts

A lighted tennis complex, including a championship court with bleachers, is available for use by students on a first come, first served basis. The University tennis team has priority for use of courts.

Campus Life

Student Success Center

(Located In Weaver Hall)

The mission of the University of Mobile Student Success Center (SSC) is to guide students from start to finish by providing services in the areas of individual counseling, career exploration, new student orientation, and academic and interpersonal skill-building. The ultimate success for a student is graduating from the University of Mobile while preparing for a career. The goal of the SSC staff is to provide services that allow students to grow academically, personally, spiritually, and professionally on the journey toward success.

Freshman Seminar

Freshman Seminar is a great way to get acquainted with the University of Mobile and get to know other UM students. The course is designed to assist first-year students in making the transition from high school to college. Freshman Seminar seeks to enhance the learning experience by providing opportunities for students to develop the skills, values, behaviors, and attitudes necessary for success at the University of Mobile. Topics include study skills, time management, budgeting, health and wellness, transitioning into adulthood, Christian worldview, and career exploration and confirmation. Students will hear from various University officials regarding UM procedures and will learn to access MyUM and other campus resources.

This course is offered during the Fall academic period and is required for entering first time freshman and transfer students with 24 hours or less. See the UM catalog for a list of exemptions.

Career Development

The Office of Career Development provides students and alumni with career advisement that emphasizes choosing a major, plotting a career path, constructing and perfecting a resume, and sharpening interview skills. Students are encouraged to make an appointment to have their resume reviewed and to participate in Career Development workshops that are offered each semester. In addition, students interested in finding part-time jobs while in school or full time jobs after graduation, should check the Job Board on MyUM, as well as the job bulletin board in Weaver Hall first floor. Contact the office of Career Development at 251.442.2877.

Counseling Services

The Student Success Center is available to provide referrals and assist currently enrolled students in obtaining counseling appropriate to their needs, and to provide consultation and crisis intervention services – 251.442.2639.

Academic Success Coaching

The Student Success Center is available to provide Academic Success Coaching (ASC) to students wishing to improve their grade point average.  ASC includes strategies for goal setting, study skills and habits, time management, and test anxiety.  Additional campus resources may be identified and assistance offered in utilizing these resources.  Contact the Coordinator of Student Support Services at 251.442.2284.

Disability Support Services

 It is the policy of the University of Mobile to provide reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities as defined in Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. The University coordinates support resources for students with disabilities and is an accommodation resource for faculty and administration. Eligibility for service requires that prior documentation of the disability be reviewed and accepted by the disabilities coordinator.

It is the responsibility of the student to exercise initiative in identifying and obtaining support services.  The student must arrange to have all documentation of his/her disability forwarded to Student Support Services (SSS).  The student must make an appointment with SSS following registration to discuss possible accommodations.  The student should arrange to meet with the Student Support Services Coordinator after the first week of classes to determine any changes to accommodations.  Students will be able to obtain letters for course instructors within 48 hours of request once official documentation has been received and approved.

It is the responsibility of the student to meet with course instructors at the beginning of the semester to provide information regarding their disability and to discuss accommodations and strategies that will be appropriate.  The Student Success Center will provide supportive assistance when requested by the student.

Student Support Services Coordinator - Julia Lucy 251.442.2284

email- jlucy@umobile.edu

Ram Rush

Ram Rush is the official University of Mobile New Student Orientation.  It is organized by the University of Mobile’s Campus Life Department and is full of concerts, free food, free give-aways, games, new friends, orientation information and tons of fun!  Ram Rush exists to immediately connect incoming freshman and transfer students with Campus Life at the University of Mobile. Before class begins, students spend time becoming familiar with all aspects of campus life as well as making life-long friendships.  Ram Rush proves to be a great way to start the college experience at the University of Mobile!

Campus Activities Board

The University of Mobile Campus Activities Board provides student entertainment, activities, and programming. CAB seeks to provide the campus body with a balanced social, cultural, recreational, and educational co-curriculum through the scheduled events. CAB also provides leadership opportunities for students to develop skills in public relations and special events planning.


Covers is the highly anticipated musical talent show hosted every semester by students. Contestants audition and perform in front of a packed house to win the Covers belt!

Crawfish Boil

Experience a taste of the coastal South at UM’s popular Crawfish Boil! You’ll enjoy a picnic-style treat on the lawn as you enjoy heaping plates of steamed crawfish. It’s a mess-and it’s fun!

Monsters Ball

Monsters Ball is the greatest dance you will ever attend! This much anticipated event is sure to be loads of fun! Dress up as your favorite character and dance the night away with all of your friends.

Campus Ministries

Nearly 25 Christian denominations are represented among the University’s student body. Campus ministries exists to encourage all students to understand the gospel and live out their faith in the campus community as well as the world. Students are challenged to live a lifestyle of service, sacrifice and giving. The University offers means for connections with: God, other students, and a world needing the redemption that Jesus Christ offers. Here are a few of the Campus Ministry experiences that students have an opportunity to participate in:

True Spin

This in-depth weekly Bible study led by UMobile’s campus minister with worship led by UMobile students is so popular that students from other college campuses come to participate.

Project Serve

Local community outreach includes playing with children at Light of the Village, building a home with Habitat for Humanity, volunteering at the Women’s Resource Center, and more.

Small Groups

Mentoring, prayer and Bible study happen in small groups across campus and in residence halls, including in historic Lyon Chapel at the heart of campus.

Urban Plunge

Take the plunge into an urban environment for this intense 48-hour inner-city mission experience. Teams in cities such as Atlanta, Baton Rouge, Tallahassee, and Montgomery work with organizations serving communities in need. You will give hands-on help to children’s ministries, homeless shelters, and serve as God’s hands and feet to minister to people in need.

The Bridge

The Bridge is a week-long mission trip that lets you help plant and nurture a new church. You will work with church planters through the North American Mission Board of the Southern Baptist Convention in such cities as New York, Seattle, Boston, and Chicago. Helping with church outreach, collecting food for a food drive, and having conversations about faith at a coffee night are just a few of the ways you help church planters reach their community.

Youth Hostel Missions

An intense 14-week training program, prayer and preparation for these trips bring team members close together. As you backpack through Europe for a month in the summer, you will stay in hostels and build relationships with other college-aged travelers from across the world. Those relationships open the door to opportunities to share your faith and show God’s love to fellow travelers who are searching for meaning in their lives.

Dinner On The Run

In a matter of just a few hours, you can visit several local churches, meet their college ministers, and enjoy some great food along the way.

University Athletics

The University of Mobile athletics program competes in the Southern States Athletic Conference of the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics, and seeks to provide student athletes the chance to excel in the classroom and on the court. The Rams compete in men’s and women’s basketball, men’s and women’s cross country, men’s and women’s golf, men’s and women’s soccer, men’s and women’s tennis, softball, volleyball and baseball. With eight NAIA National Championships, over 300 All-Americans, over 100 Scholar-Athletes and 60 conference championships, the University’s commitment to athletics is obvious.

Athletics Ministry and Involvement

A significant part of UM Campus Life is the University Athletics Ministry. The Athletics Ministry and Involvement team promotes and serves UM athletes. Students can be involved by showing support at games, along with planning and promoting events for games.

UM vs Springhill

This basketball match-up always draws a great crowd. It is a heart-stopping contest. Guaranteed!

Silence of the Rams

Students show up to a designated game wearing the same color and silently wait for the Rams to score their 10th point.  At this time the UM student body unleash a fury of fan support until the game is over.  One of the most intense games you’ll ever experience.


The University of Mobile offers students the opportunity to compete in softball, flag football, basketball, dodge ball, soccer, volleyball, and ultimate Frisbee. Ideas for other sports are welcome. Students interested in competing should visit the Campus Life Office. In order to participate, students must complete the appropriate forms and waivers which may be printed from MyUM. These forms, insurance information and emergency contacts must be submitted by the first game in order to participate - no exceptions.

Campus Life Student Leadership

Student leadership is essential to all that Campus Life does.  The Campus Life staff is committed to developing the next generation of leaders through training, investment, and allowing students to assist in planning all Campus Life activities.  There are approximately 95 Campus Life student leader positions available.  Most of those are selected through an interview and application process each spring semester.  If you want to lead and learn to lead then do not miss your chance to get involved and apply in the spring!

Student Government Association

The Student Government Association provides an official voice through which student opinions are expressed. Serving as a liaison between the administration and the student body, SGA functions as a vehicle for involving students in the University decision making process. The SGA also disperses the undesignated portion of student activity fee funds, promotes student activities, and grants & revokes charters for student organizations.

Elections are held each Spring for the positions of President, Vice-President and Senators. Senators represent the seven academic schools or colleges at the University of Mobile. There are 18 senate seats available and students serve for a term of one year. The President also appoints a cabinet to assist him/her each year.

Students wishing to run for a Student Government Association position must complete an application; support the University’s mission; philosophy and student code of conduct as demonstrated through their lifestyle; meet minimum GPA requirements; and participate in a campus-wide debate (president and vice president).  Senators must also receive a recommendation from the Academic Dean of the school or college they will represent.

Guidelines for Campus Organizations

Campus organizations are a vital part of student life at the University of Mobile. Student organizations are coordinated by the Campus Life Office located in Weaver Hall. Official recognition is necessary for clubs to use campus facilities, publicize events on-campus, host fundraisers on-campus and receive funding through the SGA. The Director of Residential Life maintains a master list of organizations and provides resources and assistance to both new and existing organizations. Nearly 30 clubs representing varied interests are currently recognized by the University. A portion of the student activity fee is budgeted to help fund University recognized clubs and organizations. After a club or organization has been approved by the SGA, that group is eligible to submit a request to the SGA for funding. Information on the criteria for such funding and assistance in preparing a budget request can be obtained by contacting the Director of Residential Life for a copy of the Organization Handbook. Groups interested in SGA approval are encouraged to submit their budget request during the Fall or Spring. Funding is limited, and budget requests are handled on a first come, first served basis.

Students who are interested in forming a new club must complete the “Request for Club Charter” form that is located on MyUM.

Supervision and Control of University Related Extracurricular Activities & Campus Organizations

The University reserves the right to exercise supervision and control of University sanctioned organizations and/or extracurricular activities and events conducted on or off campus if the activity is planned under the auspices of a University administrative office or academic department and/or if University funds, including student activity fee money, are used to support any aspect of the program.

Faculty, staff, and students will be expected to abide by University philosophy, policies, regulations, and the spirit of the student conduct code. The fact that an activity is held off campus does not negate applicable policies and procedures.

University Sponsored Student Travel

The opportunity to represent the University of Mobile throughout the state, nation, and world is one of the many benefits of being a recognized student organization. The University has established a travel registration process to promote the health and welfare of students. The student travel procedures apply to student travel sponsored by an academic department, university unit, or student organization. Specifically, these procedures are required when the intended travel is to an activity or event located 25 miles or more away from the University and any of the following circumstances apply:

  • The event is funded by the University,
  • The travel is undertaken using a vehicle owned or leased by the University,
  • The activity or event is required by a recognized student organization, or
  • The travel is undertaken under the scope, direction or election of a college, department, class, university office, learning community, study abroad program, recognized student organization, or their representatives.

Having access to current information is an essential factor in the University’s ability to effectively respond to a critical incident involving University of Mobile students. In an effort to ensure individuals responsible for providing assistance during student trips have the information needed, student organizations are responsible for completing the following steps prior to travel:

  1. Complete and submit a travel roster at least 48 hours before your group departs to the Vice President for Enrollment, Campus Life & Athletics (or designee). Information submitted on this roster should include the names, student ID numbers, and emergency contact information of all participants traveling with the organization. This information will be used by University staff members to assist student participants in case of an emergency: It is imperative to maintain a correct and up-to-date list of participants and travel plans.
  2. Facilities shall be approved by the trip sponsor as the official overnight facility, and all members and guests will stay in that facility except with the permission of the attending faculty/staff adviser. The name of this facility and an emergency telephone number will be listed on the travel roster.
  3. Ensure that each traveling participant sign an Assumption of Risk form acknowledging they understand and accept the risks associated with travel activity.
  4. For international travel, consult the Campus Life office and the Vice President for Business Affairs for information about the steps that need to be completed prior to departure, including travel notification and training.

Residential Life

The Residential Life program at the University of Mobile provides a supportive environment and opportunities for every student to live, learn, grow, and develop in all areas. A student residing in campus housing as part of a living-learning community promotes personal and academic development and enhances student success. Priority for placement in on-campus housing is given to students enrolled in the traditional undergraduate program.

Enrollment Requirements

Residents of university housing must be enrolled in a minimum of 12 semester hours. Students who enroll for less than the required number of semester hours must submit a written request for exception to the Director of Residential Life.

On-Campus Housing Requirement

All undergraduate, unmarried students without children, (with the exception of those who live with a parent or guardian, are over 21 years of age, or have completed 90 hours by the beginning of the Fall academic period) are required to maintain residence in University of Mobile campus housing.

Living on-campus is an integral part of the educational process. As part of the university commitment to this total educational concept, students receiving $9,000.00 or more in institutional aid must live on-campus. In keeping with the mission of the university to graduate students who are prepared academically, developing spiritually, and responsible socially, this policy provides students the opportunity to fully interact with others from a variety of backgrounds and geographical locations. Students who live on-campus tend to become more involved in campus activities, academic clubs and social organizations. Students may petition for exemption to this policy by placing their request and justification in writing to the Director of Residential Life before they complete the housing reservation form.

All students living on-campus are expected to abide by the rules and regulations set forth by the University of Mobile, and to respect and cooperate fully with all Campus Life Coordinators and Resident Assistants. The guide to UMobile Residential Living provides full details on the policies, procedures and regulations for residential students.

All newly admitted students living on-campus must provide acceptable proof of tuberculosis screening before moving on-campus. The screening results must be within the past 6 months. Student can download the form at: https://www.umobile.edu/myum

Office Location

The Residential Life Office is located in Weaver Hall. The office is open Monday- Friday, 9:00 a.m.- 4:30 p.m., and the phone number is 251.442.2563. Residential Life staff are available to address policy violations, questions or problems for campus residents. The Campus Life Coordinators and Resident Assistants are on call 24 hours a day at 251.442.2990 and should be contacted in case of an emergency.


Each housing venue has a Campus Life Coordinator and Resident Assistants living within the area. These individuals are available to address policy violations, questions or problems for campus residents. They are on call 24 hours a day and should be contacted in case of emergency. The Campus Life Coordinator or Resident Assistant should also be notified of any maintenance request. All final decisions regarding housing are made by the Director of Residential Life and Vice President for Enrollment, Campus Life and Athletics.

Application Process

The Residential Life application is located on the student home page of MyUM.  If a new student doesn’t know their log in information, click this link to MyUM Log In and submit a request for your MyUM log in information. 

Down Payment & Registration Information

To ensure equal opportunity for spaces in on-campus housing, the Residential Life Office is not able to reserve spaces until a student has registered for classes for the upcoming academic period and paid the housing down payment. For more information, contact the Residential Life Office at 251. 442.2563.

Laundry Facilities

Washers and dryers are located in all of the residence halls and in a laundry room in each of the other housing areas. Machines are provided free of charge and may be used by on-campus residents only.

Overflow Housing

In cases of over occupancy, there will be a waiting list created for students requesting housing. When a space becomes available, the first student on the waiting list will fill the space.

Pets and Animals

Pets are not allowed inside any building on the University of Mobile campus. This includes mammals, birds, reptiles and amphibians. Students must refrain from feeding or befriending animals on-campus because such activity encourages the animals to stay on-campus, and they become a potential health hazard.

Phone, Cable & Wireless Internet Access

Phone services are provided upon request for all University residents and fees are covered in room and board charges. Cable service is provided and the cost is also included in room and board charges. Wireless internet access in the residential buildings is also included in room and board charges. Problems with these services should be reported to your R.A. or Campus Life Coordinator.

Private Rooms

Private room requests for Arendall, Bedsole, Ingram, Samford and Faulkner are granted as space is available. The charge for a private room is an additional $500.00 per semester. Priority for private rooms goes to seniors, juniors, sophomores, and freshmen respectively.

Residence Hall Security

In an effort to provide maximum security for residents, the residence halls are locked 24 hours a day. A security guard is on duty in the housing area from 9:00 p.m. until 5:00 a.m. The lobbies of Bedsole, Arendall, Ingram, Samford and Faulkner Halls are closed to visitors from 12:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. daily.

Summer Housing

The University provides limited housing during the summer terms. If a student wishes to live on-campus during the summer, he or she must complete a Summer Housing Reservation Form and submit it to the Residential Life Office at least four weeks prior to the last day of class for the Spring semester of that year. Priority for summer housing is given to those students who are enrolled in classes.

Note that there is no interim housing period. Students who are living on-campus during the spring and summer term(s) will be required to vacate his or her housing area by noon on the posted move out date. This will provide time for cleaning and maintenance.

Visitation in Residential Halls

Visitors of the opposite sex are permitted in the rooms of residents only during visitation hours.  Visitation hours are published in each residential facility and in the Guide to Residential Living located on MyUM under Campus Life and Residential Life.

Parking & Traffic Regulations

Vehicle Registration Decal

Any student or employee who operates a motorized vehicle of any type on-campus must register the vehicle with the Office of Campus Operations on the day he or she registers for classes or the first day of employment. If the vehicle is obtained after this time, it must be registered immediately upon bringing it on-campus. A vehicle is not considered registered until the decal is affixed in the designated place. If a new license plate is obtained the new license plate number must be reported to the Office of Campus Operations.

Temporary Permits

If a student, faculty or staff member drives an unregistered vehicle to the campus on an emergency or temporary basis, a Temporary Permit should be obtained from the Office of Campus Operations immediately when the vehicle is brought to the campus and the permit displayed appropriately on the dashboard during the time that the vehicle is on the campus.

Owner/Operator Responsibility

The University assumes no responsibility or liability for any vehicle on the campus, whether or not school is in session. In the event of damage to or theft of a vehicle on the campus, if the person who caused the damage or committed the theft cannot be determined, the owner/operator of the vehicle and/or his/her insurance company shall be responsible for any damages or loss. If the insurance company requires a police report, the Prichard Police Department should be called at 452.2211.

Parking Regulations

Parking is permanently prohibited in areas with yellow curbs and along streets and driveways where there are no marked parking spaces. These areas must be left open at all times for proper traffic flow and/or for emergency vehicles. Vehicles are not to be driven or parked on the grass at any time except along the road at the Harrigan Center when the parking lots have been filled. Vehicles parked in traffic lanes, on the grass, in loading zones or in other prohibited areas are subject to immediate removal. If this becomes necessary, the vehicle will be towed at the owner’s expense and appropriate fine(s) assessed. Facilities are not available for storage or repair of motorized vehicles on the campus.

Students are advised not to leave their automobiles on the campus during holidays or vacation periods. Vehicles left abandoned on the campus for longer than two weeks may be subject to removal at the owner’s expense.

Parking areas reserved for specific individuals or groups are generally indicated by appropriate signs and/or painted curbs or markings.

Parking spaces with maroon curbs or markings are reserved for specific individuals between the hours of 6:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. (except those spaces marked with maroon curbs at the residence halls which are reserved permanently).

Parking spaces with green curbs or markings are reserved for faculty and staff from 6:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m.

Parking spaces with blue curbs or markings are reserved at all times for persons with valid handicapped placards.

Appropriately marked spaces in front of Weaver Hall are reserved for visitors at all times. (Faculty, staff and students are not permitted to park in these spaces whether or not the vehicle they are driving has a valid registration decal.)

Parking spaces on the west side of the parking lot behind the gym are reserved for persons who work in the adjacent athletic buildings.

Parking for Residential Students

Parking is provided at each residential area for residents of those particular areas. For a detailed map of the appropriate parking spaces for each particular housing area, please consult the Office of Campus Operations. They may be reached at 442.2245. Maroon curbs in the residential areas are reserved for REZ Life staff 24 hours a day.

Speed Limits

Speed limits are established and posted on the campus for the safety of vehicles and pedestrians. Many people walk, jog or run on the campus during the day and at night, when school is in and out of session; so it is very important that the speed limits and other traffic regulations be observed at all times. The speed limit between the entrance to the campus and the flag plaza is 30 MPH. Throughout the remainder of the campus the speed limit is 20 MPH except in the housing areas and the parking lots where the speed limit is 15 MPH. Driving conditions in any of these areas may require that the speed be reduced to maintain safety.

Some streets and driveways are restricted to one way traffic. These restrictions are in effect at all times. Motorcycles, mopeds, three wheelers, four wheelers, etc. are subject to the same driving and parking regulations as other vehicles. Motorcycle drivers and passengers are required to wear approved helmets.

Penalties for Violations of Driving/Parking Regulations

Fines will be based on the nature of offenses. (A citation will result in multiple fines if there are multiple offenses.) Fines will be assessed to the person to whom the vehicle is registered in the Office of Campus Operations.

Payment of Fines

Fines will be placed on the violator’s account in the Business Office. All fines must be paid before a student will be permitted to receive grades, register for the next academic period or term, receive a degree, or receive a transcript.

Appeal of Citations

Appeals of citations must be made in person or in writing to the Office of Campus Operations within (7) days of the date the citation was issued.

Frequent Offenders

Students who have received two or more citations will be referred to the Director of Campus Life (or designee) for disciplinary action or a restriction of driving privileges.

Safety, Security & Emergency Preparedness


Security is a community responsibility requiring the cooperation and responsibility of the University family. However, a security officer is on duty and available to persons on-campus seven days a week, 24 hours a day. A security officer may be contacted by cell phone at 251.510.4273.

Safety, security, parking and traffic responsibilities are assigned to the Office of Campus Operations located in House 12 behind the gym – 251.442.2245.

Reporting On-Campus Crime

Anyone observing or suspecting a crime being committed on the campus is encouraged to report this as soon as possible. It may be reported to the Director of Campus Operations in House 12 behind the gym – 251.442.2238 or Campus Security at 251.510.4273. When a student witnesses a crime or suspects a crime has occurred in or near one of the residence halls, the Director of Residential Life should be contacted at 251.442.2945 or a Campus Life Coordinator notified.

In compliance with the Clery Act, the University of Mobile’s security report is compiled annually. It includes statistics for the previous three years concerning reported crimes that occurred on-campus; in certain off-campus buildings or property owned or controlled by the University; and on public property immediately adjacent to and accessible from the campus. The report also includes institutional policies concerning campus security, such as policies concerning alcohol and drug abuse, crime prevention, the reporting of crimes, sexual assault and other matters. You can obtain a copy of this report by contacting the Office of Campus Operations or clicking on the “Public Disclosures” option on this page: https://umportal.umobile.edu/ICS/Document Library/PublicDocuments/

Missing Student Notification

As required by law, University of Mobile has adopted a missing student notification policy for students who reside in on-campus housing. In accordance with this policy, each student who resides in on-campus housing has the option to identify an individual as their emergency contact to be contacted by UM in case of an emergency. Students identify the individual to be notified by providing Personal Emergency Contact Information upon completion of the Residential Life Check-In Document. Students who have not already provided Personal Emergency Contact Information-including those students who live off-campus are strongly encouraged to do so. Except as otherwise permitted or required by law, Personal Emergency Contact Information will be accessible only to authorized campus officials, and will not be disclosed to non-campus officials other than law enforcement personnel.

In addition to notifying the emergency contact(s) identified by a student, UM must also notify a custodial parent or guardian of a student who is under 18 years of age and is not an emancipated individual if such student is determined to be missing. UM is also required to notify the appropriate law enforcement agency (or agencies) if any student, regardless of age, is determined to be missing. UM reserves the right to notify additional individuals or authorities in its discretion-including the parents or guardians of students over 18 years of age-if a student is determined to be missing. These notifications are required to be made within 24 hours of the determination that a student is missing.

Sexual Assault Risk Reduction Tips

  • Be assertive. State clearly what you want and do not want.
  • Avoid walking alone if you are distracted, upset, or under the influence of any substance which may impair your actions.
  • Avoid the use of alcohol and other drugs.
  • Never accept beverages, including non-alcoholic ones, from someone you don’t know or trust.
  • Trust your instincts. If an individual makes you feel uncomfortable, remove yourself from the situation.
  • Clearly communicate your boundaries and limits. If someone makes you feel uncomfortable, tell him/her early and firmly. Say “No” when you mean “No.”

Personal Property

The University does not accept responsibility for any loss of valuables due to vandalism, facility damage incidents, theft or burglary. Personal items of value such as stereos, computers, televisions, etc., should be properly insured by the student. It is also the responsibility of each student to lock his or her room whenever unattended. Students are advised to consult with their parents regarding their homeowners’ insurance policy, coverage and limits.

The loss or theft of personal property should be reported immediately to the Office of Campus Operations at 442-2245. Security personnel will assist in coordinating the investigation of property loss with local police officials. Lost and found items are retained at the Switchboard/Mailroom.


In the event of a campus wide emergency, the Director of Campus Operations and the Vice President for Enrollment Services, Campus Life and Athletics will act with complete and full authority to implement a plan for coping with campus emergencies. In their absence, the Vice President for Academic Affairs will act as coordinator for emergency preparedness.

Reporting an Emergency

In reporting an emergency, state your name, location, and nature of the emergency.

If an emergency occurs:

  • Dial 911 to report the emergency
  • Call the Campus Security Guard 251.510.4273
  • Notify the Campus Life Coordinator on call at 251.442.2990

Fire, Bomb Threats and Laboratory Emergencies

In the event of fire, pull the nearest alarm, notify your neighbors, and exit the building through the nearest exit.

Each instructor, at the sounding of the fire alarm, should escort his or her students in an orderly fashion down the nearest stairwell and outside the building to a safe distance from the building. This procedure should also be applied to any bomb threat, laboratory emergency or similar incident.


  • Call the Prichard Fire Department at 911
  • Notify Campus Security 251.510.4273

Residence hall evacuation plans are posted in each student room. Periodic safety drills may be conducted in each building in compliance with state law. Failure to evacuate a building or to comply with instructions during an evacuation will result in disciplinary action.

Medical Emergencies

When a student is in need of urgent medical care after hours, the student may contact one of the local physicians’ offices or go to the emergency room at one of the local hospitals. Contact one of the physicians’ offices at the numbers listed below for office hours and directions.

Physicians Offices

Greater Mobile Urgent Care (3 locations, no appt. necessary)

  • Schillinger location- 2350 Schillinger Road. 251.633.0123 Dial 1
  • Springhill location- 4402 Old Shell Rd. 251.633.0123 Dial 2
  • Semmes location- 7943 Moffett Rd. 251.633.0123 Dial 3

Hospitals/Emergency Rooms

Springhill Medical Center 251.460.5315
Mobile Infirmary Medical Center 251.435.5673
Infirmary West 251. 660.5130
Providence Hospital 251. 633.1000


In case of a tornado while classes are in session - instructors should escort students away from windows and into hallway or doorway areas. Students should sit with their heads down and covered by their hands.


Hurricane season in coastal Alabama is June 1 through November 30. The University is located approximately fifteen miles inland from Mobile Bay on high ground (87 feet above sea level) and is therefore out of the storm surge danger area.

To ensure the safety of students and property, the University has developed a Hurricane Preparedness Plan which will be implemented at the direction of the President of the University or his appointed representative. University personnel monitor the development of each tropical storm and use this management plan. Students are advised to use the information in the plan which applies to hurricanes as a storm threatens the area.

University Alert System

The University of Mobile has an emergency alert system that will notify students in the event of any University emergency, weather warnings, school closing, power outages, etc.

An alert notification account will be automatically set up for students currently enrolled or employed by UM. Account options may be set to receive UMobile emergency communications via text message, email or recorded voice messages. There is a link to the emergency notification account on MyUM. To enter emergency notification options students must first log into MyUM. The alerts will also be posted @umcampuslife Twitter account. Parents, spouses or family members can sign up for notifications by visiting www.getrave.com/login/umobile.

For questions, contact Kris Nelson, Director of Residential Life, at knelson@umobile.edu.

Student Care

Psychological Policy

The University of Mobile is an academic institution equipped to meet many of the needs of diverse college students. Throughout each semester, students at the University of Mobile may present a range of psychological issues that require staff assistance or staff intervention.

Students experiencing psychological difficulties are expected to take personal responsibility to manage their behaviors and seek appropriate treatment as necessary. In addition to the care students might receive from counseling services, there are times when a student might need to spend time away from the campus, either voluntarily or involuntarily.

Short Term Absences

In some instances, a student may experience a psychological problem, family distress or a need for extended time for bereavement. In these cases, the student has the responsibility to contact the University’s counseling services to coordinate absences with the student’s faculty/staff members. This notification does not relieve the student from their responsibility to arrange to complete missed work and should not be considered an excused absence. Students should be reminded to consult faculty or syllabi regarding absence policies, and to communicate with faculty to minimize impact on grades. Students should be advised to check in with counseling services to confirm their return to UM.

Serious Psychological Difficulties

If serious psychological difficulties rise to the level of disrupting the University community, putting the student at risk, or diminishing the student’s ability to care for himself/herself, a separation from the college may be initiated.

Any student who:

  1. states (via any source including speech, written note, text, email or any form of social media) an intent or desire to harm himself or herself or others, or becomes disruptive
  2. attempts to harm himself or herself, or others
  3. harms himself or herself, or others
  4. has within their possession any item or substance that causes concern for potential harm;

may not live in University of Mobile residential facilities or participate in University of Mobile academic programs until cleared to do so by the Vice President for Enrollment Services, Campus Life and Athletics. The prohibition against living in University of Mobile residential facilities and participating in University academic programs is not disciplinary in nature and the fact that such a prohibition has been imposed will not be entered in the student’s educational records. However, if a student engages in disruptive behavior or fails to comply with the terms of the clearance procedure, the student may be subject to disciplinary action in accordance with student disciplinary policy. If a student, faculty or staff member observes a student with the above-stated behavior, the person observing such behavior should report to the Vice-President. The student experiencing difficulties will be notified of behaviors observed. A hearing will be conducted by the Behavioral Assessment Intervention Team (BAIT) to determine if action will be taken.

University-Initiated Withdrawal (Involuntary)

If a student is behaving in a way which is threatening to themselves or others, or which significantly interferes with the student’s education or the rights of others, the Vice President of Enrollment Services, Campus Life, & Athletics may initiate these procedures. The Vice President is empowered with the discretion to define within his/her professional judgment what is sufficiently threatening and/or disruptive to warrant invoking this procedure. The first step will be to determine an appropriate initial action. The primary alternatives for initial action are as follows, but these do not preclude other actions based on a specific situation:

  1. Continue at the University with no restrictions. The University may take no action if it is decided, based on review of the referral information or other information presented, that the student may be allowed to continue with no restrictions. In those cases, care should be taken to provide opportunities for the student to be advised of accommodations and supportive services that are available. In cases where there are conduct actions pending, those actions should go forward.
  2. Continue in University pending further proceedings. The university may require that the student meet certain conditions regarding behavior over a specified period of time if he/she is to remain enrolled. Such conditions could include, for example, stopping classroom disruptiveness, or continuing only if the student avails him or herself of supportive services or accommodation arrangements. Failure to comply with the conditions, coupled with further disruptive behavior, may result in having additional conduct complaints added to any that were previously pending or deferred.
  3. Remaining enrolled at the University subject to conditions but with eligibility for University-owned residential agreement reviewed. Under certain circumstances, where other students’ living and learning environment is very likely to be disrupted by a student’s behavior, the housing agreement may be terminated.
  4. Suspension or expulsion. If there is a pervasive pattern of disruptive or threatening behavior, or behaviors that are assaultive, suicidal, self-injurious or self-neglectful which present an imminent risk of injury to the student or others, the student may be suspended or expelled. Interim suspension may be imposed prior to a suspension/expulsion hearing. The hearing will be conducted with the Behavioral Assessment and Intervention Team.

Referral for Assessment or Evaluation

The Vice-President for Enrollment Services, Campus Life and Athletics (or Behavioral Assessment and Intervention Team) may refer or mandate a student for evaluation by a mental health care provider if it is believed that the student may meet any of the criteria set forth in this policy or if a student subject to conduct proceedings provides notification that information concerning a mental/behavioral disorder will be introduced.

Students referred or mandated for evaluation will be so informed in writing with personal and /or certified delivery, and will be given a copy of these standards and procedures. The evaluation must be completed within 3 business days from the date of the referral letter, unless an extension is granted by the Vice President of Enrollment Services, Campus Life & Athletics. A student who fails to complete the evaluation in accordance with these standards and procedures and give permission for the results to be shared with appropriate administrators may be involuntarily withdrawn or referred for conduct action.

University Related Programs and Activities

If a faculty or staff member has concerns regarding a student’s emotional, psychological, or behavioral stability relating to participation in a University related program or activity, the faculty or staff member may refer the student to the Behavioral Assessment and Intervention Team (BAIT). The BAIT will facilitate an evaluation to be conducted by a mental health care provider and outcomes will be reported by the BAIT to the faculty or staff member. The BAIT and faculty or staff member will confer to make a final determination regarding the student’s ability to participate. The BAIT can be contacted through the Vice President for Enrollment Services, Campus Life and Athletics.

Student Conduct, Rights & Responsibilities


College Citizenship

All who work, study, and learn at the University of Mobile do so voluntarily. When a student applies for admission to the University of Mobile, that student agrees to respect and abide by the college’s principles of conduct and community standards as well as federal, state, and local laws, and to comply with those standards and laws in the interest of orderly community living.

Many UMobile student community standards are based upon Biblical precepts or absolutes as represented in the University Statement of Christian Affirmation (as published in the University of Mobile catalog); while some expectations are simply held to be prudent in nature. These standards reflect a desire on behalf of the University to assist students in conducting themselves in a manner which reflects evidence of Christian principles and high moral character. Students are expected to: 1) show respect for authorities, private property, self, and the rights of others, 2) to exercise stewardship over their resources, abilities, as well as their mind, body & soul, and 3) to care for others as they do for themselves.

As members of the University community, students enjoy the rights and bear the responsibility of full citizenship. This citizenship is based on a shared commitment to integrity, respect, stewardship, and safety & security. As citizens, students are subject to sanction or revocation of citizenship when their actions infringe on the rights of others, compromise their own self-worth, or the integrity of the University community and its commitment to Christian values, and/or when safety and security are threatened or violated.

Each student is expected to adhere to the rules, regulations, and standards set forth in the student handbook, University catalog, any addendums, or other related publications. Observations, reports, associations or any information posted to the internet can be used to evaluate a student’s conduct. Students are responsible for their own behavior and for developing and upholding their commitment to the mission and goals of the University of Mobile. In addition to their own behavior, students may be held responsible for the influence they have on fellow students and the behavior of their guests.

Students are strongly encouraged to go to one another in brotherly love and speak the truth. However, if a student is fearful or uncomfortable approaching the offending student, he or she should report the suspected violation to the Director of Residential Life, Director of Campus Life or the Vice President for Enrollment, Campus Life & Athletics.

Students who are actively struggling with issues and behaviors that violate community standards or University policies are encouraged to seek support and help. They will be required to participate in an accountability contract and/or seek professional assistance rather than proceed through the judicial process. Students who request help will be asked to abstain from behaviors that violate University policies. If violations continue while engaged in the accountability contract or professional assistance, the student will be subject to disciplinary action. Student leaders that seek support may have reasonable and applicable expectations and boundaries set while they seek assistance.

The violations listed in this handbook are not comprehensive in nature. The University faculty and administration reserve the right to confront and/or address other behaviors that are viewed by the University as dangerous, destructive, or inconsistent with the University of Mobile mission and related statements of philosophy.

Authority for Student Conduct and Judicial Process

The guidelines for behavior outlined in this handbook, the University catalog, and any other student related publications, outline the judicial process. The Vice President for Enrollment Services, Campus Life and Athletics and his or her designees with assistance from the Director of Residential Life, the Student Judicial Board and the Faculty Disciplinary Committee will be responsible for conducting investigations, gathering evidence, and enforcing all University rules and regulations related to student behavior. The Vice President for Enrollment Services, Campus Life and Athletics is responsible for administering the judicial process as it relates to any allegations or complaints involving University students. The Vice President for Enrollment Services, Campus Life, & Athletics (or designee) may contact parents before or after the judicial process is complete if the student is under the age of 18 or if safety or health concerns exist. Additionally, parents will be notified if a student under the age of 21 violates the alcohol or drug policies. For certain offenses, the authority to conduct a hearing and recommend sanctions may be delegated to the Judicial Board, Faculty Discipline Committee or other appropriate University of Mobile officials. When disciplinary action is necessary in response to behavior not specifically listed in this handbook, the Vice President for Enrollment Services, Campus Life and Athletics (or designee) is responsible for interpreting the spirit of this handbook and the University’s philosophy. Campus Life Coordinators typically administer sanctions for the first offense of a residential policy. Penalties imposed must bear a reasonable relationship to the violation. Students attending the University who receive sanctions related to their conduct may become immediately ineligible for all or a portion of UM funded scholarships or grants. A student accused of a violation of University regulations has the following rights:

Student Rights

  • The student may have a person of choice from the University community to advise or assist in any hearings.
  • Neither legal counsel nor parents may represent students or attend disciplinary hearings. However, students may request notes from the hearing or may request a post-hearing meeting with parents and University officials conducting the hearing to discuss the proceedings and the outcome. In cases involving harassment or sexual assault, parents may request an exception to this policy. The Vice President for Enrollment, Campus Life and Athletics may grant exceptions to this policy under certain circumstances at his/her discretion.
  • The student can request a written statement of charges.
  • The student can offer personal testimony and witnesses on his/her own behalf.
  • The student may exercise his or her right to appeal sanctioning decisions as outlined in this handbook.


  • The Student Disciplinary Sanction Appeal Request Form must be submitted to the Vice President for Enrollment and Campus Life or his/her designee and will be reviewed by the appropriate member of the judicial process. An appeal must be presented in writing within 24 hours of the original sanctioning decision, unless otherwise designated in the sanction notification.
  • Appeals may be submitted in person during office hours in the Office of Enrollment Services and Campus Life, via email or fax. It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that the form was received.

Upon receipt of a student appeal, the Vice President will forward the written appeal along with any other appropriate information to the judicial body that will review the request for appeal. Once reviewed, the designated judicial official will make recommendation(s) to the Vice President for Enrollment Services, Campus Life and Athletics regarding the appeal. The Vice President for Enrollment Services, Campus Life and Athletics will notify the student in writing of the decision. If either the Judicial Board or Discipline Committee cannot respond to the appeal within one week of the appeal request, the chair of the Discipline Committee will notify the student in writing. The student then may elect to have the appeal reviewed by the President. Decisions of the Judicial Board may be appealed to the Discipline Committee. Decisions of the Discipline Committee may be appealed to the President of the University within the time specified by the committee. A decision of the President is not subject to further appeal.

Community Standards

Any student who commits, aids or attempts to commit any of the following acts of misconduct may face disciplinary action through the University’s judicial system.

Community Standard: Integrity

  • Cheating, plagiarism, or other forms of academic dishonesty.
  • Violation of the visitation policy as outlined in the Guide to Residential Living (located on MyUM)
  • Tampering with the election of any University recognized student organization.
  • Living off campus while not meeting the off-campus eligibility requirements.
  • Illegal downloads: movies, music, software, etc.
  • Theft.
  • Violation of federal, state, or local law on University premises or at a University sponsored or supervised activity.
  • Forgery, alteration, or the unauthorized possession or use of University documents, records or instruments of identification.
  • Dressing inappropriately. Students are expected to be neatly, modestly, and appropriately dressed at all times. Clothing with obscene pictures or messages and clothing with advertisements for products not in keeping with the University’s philosophy are not appropriate. Shirts and shoes are required in all University buildings and at all University sponsored or approved functions. Responsibility for dress is placed upon each student. Faculty and staff members may determine whether a given mode of dress disrupts the learning environment.
  • Unauthorized and/or inappropriate use of computers is prohibited. Such use includes, but is not limited to, damaging or altering records or programs; furnishing false information; invading the privacy of another user by using files, programs, or data without permission; engaging in disruptive and annoying behavior; and any unauthorized use of computer hardware, software, accounts, passwords, or keywords.
  • It is considered a misuse of computers to view, obtain, or send pornographic material.
  • Any incident that, in the judgment of the University administration, reflects negatively on the image of the University will be considered a violation of community standards.

Community Standard: Respect

  • Conduct which is disorderly, lewd, or indecent; breach of peace; or aiding, abetting, or procuring another person to breach the peace on University premises or at functions sponsored by, or participated in by, the University of Mobile.
  • Posting and/or submitting personal information or photographic images of yourself or others for display on the internet that may be considered contrary to the philosophy of the University of Mobile.
  • Harassment: The intentional infringement upon the rights of any member of the community, including the persistent interruption of a reasonable level of peace and quiet.
  • Use of cellphones or other electronic devices or computing facilities to obtain or send obscene or abusive messages.

Community Standard: Stewardship

  • Damage to or littering on public grounds.
  • The unauthorized use or the abuse, destruction, or theft of property of the University or any of its members, guests, or neighbors. This regulation includes the unauthorized appropriation or “borrowing” of common property for personal use. It also includes unauthorized use, abuse, destruction, or theft or property in University care of custody.
  • Based on the University’s religious beliefs and foundations, sexual misconduct includes, but is not limited to, the promotion, advocacy, practice, or acts of sexual abuse; sexual assault (see student care  section of this handbook for more information); sexual harassment; incest; adultery; rape; fornication; the possession of pornographic material; sex outside of a heterosexual marriage; promotion, advocacy or on-going practice of a gay, lesbian, bisexual, or transgender lifestyle; same-sex dating behaviors; or public advocacy of sex outside of marriage. Please see the Sexual Stewardship  section of this handbook for more information.

Community Standard: Safety and Security

  • Use, possession, distribution, being under the influence or in the presence of alcoholic beverages on-campus or at a University sponsored/sanctioned event or evidence of underage drinking on or off campus.
  • Knowingly furnishing false information to a University officer or member of any hearing board acting in performance of their duties, or the failure to provide University personnel with adequate identification upon request.
  • Failure to comply with directions of a University official or law enforcement officers.
  • Hazing, defined as an act which endangers the mental or physical health or safety of a student, or which destroys or removes public or private property, for the purpose of initiation, admission into, affiliation with, or as a condition for continued membership in, a group or organization.
  • Operating a vehicle in violation of traffic rules or as to endanger people or property.
  • Ejecting any objects from the windows, roofs, or balconies of University buildings.
  • Climbing on top of the roofs of buildings or in other unauthorized areas.
  • Unintentional discharge or misuse of personal defense devices. The owner is responsible for maintaining control and assuring proper usage of these devices.
  • Physical abuse, verbal abuse, threats, intimidation, coercion and/or other conduct which threatens or endangers the health, safety, or security of any person.
  • Illegal or unauthorized possession or use of fireworks, explosives, knives, razors, metal knuckles, hatchets, foils, stun guns, Tasers®, blackjacks, nunchuks, bows and arrows, other weapons, or dangerous chemicals on University premises.
  • Use, possession or distribution of narcotics or controlled substances except as expressly permitted by law. (Also see drug and alcohol policy  in this handbook)
  • Tampering with fire extinguishers, fire alarm boxes, or smoke or heat detectors anywhere on University property or making a false report concerning a fire, bomb, or other emergency.
  • Firearms are strictly prohibited on University premises. This includes, but is not limited to: paintball guns, air soft guns, BB/pellet guns, cross bows, compound bows and any other projectile launching device deemed dangerous by University officials.

Drug & Alcohol Policy

The University of Mobile is a “dry campus,” therefore no alcoholic beverages may be brought or consumed on University property even if the student is twenty one years of age. Any student found consuming, in possession, under the influence of, or in the presence of alcohol will be subject to University disciplinary action.

University of Mobile prohibits the unlawful manufacture, possession, use, sale, or transfer of controlled substances or designer drugs on or off the campus. It is also a violation of University policy for anyone to possess, use, sell, transfer in, be under the influence of, or in the presence of alcohol or drugs on the campus or at a University related activity off campus. The presence of empty liquor bottles, beer cans, or drug paraphernalia within the boundaries of the University campus is also prohibited and will be considered a violation of the alcohol policy.

Anyone violating these policies is subject to disciplinary action ranging from a reprimand to expulsion. Drug and alcohol violations may also be crimes under the statutes in the State of Alabama Criminal Code and may be reported to the appropriate law enforcement officials.

The Athletic Department conducts random and/or suspicion-based drug and alcohol testing of students that participate in the intercollegiate athletics program. If a University of Mobile student suspects that a student athlete is taking drugs or using alcohol, the student should report this information to a coach, the Athletic Director or the Vice President for Enrollment Services, Campus Life and Athletics.

Sexual Harassment

The University of Mobile does not tolerate harassment, and the purpose of this policy is to delineate a means to address legitimate complaints of harassment by students of the University of Mobile. “Harassment” means unwelcome advances, requests for favors, and other verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature when:

  • submission to such conduct is made either explicitly or implicitly a term or condition of a person’s employment or education;
  • submission to or rejection of such conduct by an individual is used as the basis for academic or employment decisions affecting said individual; or
  • such conduct has the purpose or effect of unreasonably interfering with an individual’s academic or work performance or creating an intimidating, hostile or otherwise offensive working or educational environment.

A student may report an alleged violation of this policy to a faculty member or staff member. In each of these cases, the complaint shall be reported within 24 hours to the Vice President for Enrollment Services, Campus Life and Athletics. In the event that the complaint is against the Vice President for Enrollment Services, Campus Life and Athletics, the student shall report the complaint to the Vice President for Academic Affairs.

Sexual Stewardship

The University of Mobile, based on its religious beliefs, foundations, and principles, is committed to certain views concerning sex and sexual behavior. All students are expected to conduct themselves in such a manner so as to not undermine the teachings or mission of the University regarding these religious views.

The University of Mobile’s religious beliefs lead it to prohibit the following actions: (1) any sex by a student that is outside the confines of a heterosexual marriage; and (2) any behavior by a student that indicates that they are not committed to, or do not intend to adhere to, the University’s prohibition on all forms of premarital sex and all forms of homosexual sex.

Sexual purity is an essential element of our walk with God. The University of Mobile promotes a lifestyle and campus culture that values sexual purity. Student behavior that is inconsistent with University’s sexual purity standards and lifestyle are prohibited, even when between consenting adults, as this behavior undermines the religious teachings and mission of the University of Mobile.

Student Classroom Behavioral Expectations

Students and faculty each have a responsibility in maintaining an appropriate learning environment. Students are expected to conduct themselves in a mature manner that does not distract from or disrupt the educational pursuits of others. Examples of distracting behavior, include but are not limited to: uninvited casual talk among students, use of cell phones or other electronics, sleeping, or inappropriate behavior toward fellow students or faculty. Examples of disruptive behavior, including but not limited to: a false report of an explosive or incendiary device, which constitutes a threat or bomb scare; verbal, written, or physical abuse (or threats of physical abuse) to any member of the University community.

Should a professor determine that a student’s conduct is distracting or disruptive, the professor may impose the student’s immediate removal from the classroom until it can be determined by the faculty member that the student can conduct him/herself in an appropriate manner. Behaviors which may have been influenced by a student’s mental state or use of drugs or alcoholic beverages shall not in any way limit the responsibility of the student for the consequences of his or her actions. Students who fail to cooperate or adhere to behavioral standards, as set forth in the course syllabus, may be subject to sanctions imposed by the University student judicial process. Professors may refer students for disciplinary action.

Faculty members have the professional responsibility to treat students with understanding, dignity and respect, to guide classroom discussion and to set reasonable limits on the manner in which students express opinions.

Solicitation and Operating a Business

The University reserves the right to deny permission to students to operate a business, to sell any kind of merchandise, solicit subscriptions or engage in any kind of commercial activity on the University campus. Permission will not be given to businesses that compete with campus vendors; use the University computer network, servers, computers, bandwidth, etc.; take up large amounts of University facility space; or use University resources.


The University maintains comprehensive policies and guidelines regarding the appropriate use of technology by students which includes but is not limited to web content filtering and tracking, copyright infringement, firewall protection, traffic optimization practices, user usage limitation, etc. These policies are available on MyUM and students are expected to abide by these expectations. Violations are subject to disciplinary sanction.

Disciplinary Sanctions for Misconduct

One or More of the Sanctions Listed Below May Be Imposed for Student Conduct Violations:

  1. Reprimand: An informal warning that continuation or repetition of inappropriate behavior may result in a more severe sanction.
  2. Disciplinary Warning: An official written notification that a student’s behavior is in violation of University regulations or standards, with clarification of expected behavior in the future. Further misconduct may be treated with more serious sanctions.
  3. Referral for Counseling: Students may be referred for counseling, either on-campus or to an appropriate professional agency, at the expense of the student. Progress reports are to be provided as requested by the Vice President for Enrollment, Campus Life and Athletics.
  4. Campus Service: When deemed appropriate, the University official may require the performance of a specified number of campus service hours either on or off campus.
  5. Fines or Restitution Fines ranging from $25.00-$500.00 may be levied for policy violations. Fines or restitution are payable to the University by the date specified by the University official. When deemed appropriate, the University official may require restitution for damages done or other payment for expenses incurred as a result of the student’s actions.
  6. Educative Sanctions: Tasks, assignments or experiences which a student is obligated to complete. Examples are: letters of apology; research on an issue related to the offense; attending a workshop, accountability sessions, lectures or other meetings. Failure to comply may result in further sanctions such as suspension, denial of the privilege to re-enroll, or dismissal.
  7. Disciplinary Probation: Disciplinary probation implies that the individual’s standing within the University is in jeopardy and that further negligent or willful violations will normally result in immediate suspension or expulsion.
  8. Disciplinary Probation with Restriction: In addition to Disciplinary Probation listed above, Disciplinary Probation with restriction involves the imposition of specified restrictions and/or prohibits the student from participation in designated activities for a stated period of time. The extent of the restrictions and the length of the period of restriction is determined by the magnitude of the offense. A record of the loss of privilege will be maintained by the Vice President for Enrollment, Campus Life and Athletics. Additional infractions of the University rules and regulations during a period of restriction may lead to probation, suspension, or dismissal.
  9. Disciplinary Suspension: Separates the student from the University for a specified period of time, prohibits attendance at any classes, social events or other functions, and visiting University grounds or buildings unless by written permission.
  10. Suspension from Residential Housing: Under certain circumstances it may be permissible to remove a student from residential housing on a permanent basis or on an intermediate suspension prior to a judicial hearing. An intermediate suspension is not to exceed 5 business days. Reasons would be an existing or perceived threat to safety or well-being of individual members of the campus community or the campus community in general.
  11. Revocation of institutional gift aid: In certain circumstances, particularly those that jeopardize the integrity or reputation of the University, all or a portion of a student’s UM institutional aid may be revoked.
  12. Denial of Privilege to Reenroll: This sanction places the student on indefinite disciplinary probation, may allow for the completion of the current semester but prohibits enrollment for subsequent semesters without permission from the Vice President for Enrollment, Campus Life and Athletics.
  13. Disciplinary Dismissal: Any student who receives disciplinary dismissal will be permanently excluded from the University of Mobile. Once a student has been dismissed, he or she is not eligible for readmission. Disciplinary dismissal is permanently recorded on the student’s academic record maintained by the Registrar’s Office.

Grievance Procedures

Student Appeals and Grievances

Any student who believes that he or she has been treated unfairly under these guidelines should first address the matter with the staff member responsible. If the problem is not resolved, the student may meet with the Vice President for Enrollment, Campus Life and Athletics. If the complaint is still not resolved, the student may then appeal to the President in writing.

Sexual Assault

The University of Mobile prohibits all forms of sexual abuse and assault which can include but is not limited to sexual coercion, stalking, intimidation, assault, and rape. Sexual assault is a violent crime that can be committed by a person either known or unknown to a person. University of Mobile recognizes the nationwide prevalence of sexual offenses and it publicly states that such behavior, whether forcible or non-forcible, will not be tolerated in any form. Offenders are subject to criminal prosecution under Alabama law and disciplinary action through the University of Mobile judicial process. The University may pursue such action whether or not legal proceedings are underway or if authorities choose not to prosecute, and may use information from third party sources, such as law enforcement agencies and the courts, to determine whether University rules have been broken. Conversely, the University makes no attempt to shield members of the community from the law, nor does it intervene in legal proceedings against a member of the community. The University reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to take action under this policy for off-campus behavior.

Since initial information regarding a sexual assault may come from a variety of campus and community sources, it is necessary that the Vice President for Enrollment, Campus Life, and Athletics be notified and serve as the administrator charged with coordinating services. Exceptions to this notification process occur when the victim refuses to release information about the incident and/or is protected by the ethical and legal “confidentiality privilege” afforded to the University counseling staff. Victims are assured that any referral will be confidential and is intended to help the victim meet his/her needs during this time of crisis. The victim will also be assured that he/she will be in control of decisions regarding formal charges and nothing “automatic” will take place by nature of being referred to the appropriate personnel listed above. This approach is meant to reduce potential fear and anxiety about being referred to an administrative office and reinforce that this procedure is strictly enacted to assist the victim. The Vice President for Enrollment, Campus Life and Athletics, or a designee, will be the university representative in discussions with parents and/or significant others when the victim so requests and in all cases in which a minor (person under 18 years of age) is involved.

Guidelines for the Victim to Follow After a Rape or Sexual Assault

  1. Get to a safe place as soon as you can.
  2. Try to preserve all physical evidence.
  3. Get medical attention as soon as possible
  4. Contact the police.
  5. Talk with a University official or counselor.
  6. Contact someone you trust to be with you.

What Happens When A Sexual Offense Is Reported

The appropriate personnel listed previously, once informed about a sexual assault case, will work with the victim either directly or indirectly to link the student with appropriate services. In order to provide a comprehensive approach to the victim’s needs the following departments will serve as the “front line” for sexual assault cases. The following is a listing of specific areas of responsibility and assistance they each have and/or can provide for the victim upon request.

  1. Health Services will contact a hospital or the Rape Crisis Center Hotline for medical evaluation and treatment. The campus nurse will make a referral for AIDS counseling and testing, supportive treatment for physical ailments resulting from abuse, pregnancy testing, and testing for sexually transmitted diseases as appropriate.
  2. Campus Security will establish the date, time and location of the alleged assault. The security officer will conduct the preliminary investigation, including collection and verification of all available facts and circumstances and will contact the local police department based on the victim’s wishes. The Vice President for Enrollment Services, Campus Life and Athletics will also receive an incident report.
  3. Counseling Services will provide referral resources for psychological assessment. If immediate attention is requested by the victim, he/she will be referred to the local Rape Crisis Center, otherwise, guidance will be provided the next business day. Meetings with professionals are confidential and can be scheduled by calling 251.442.2292. Office hours are Monday-Friday from 8:00-4:30. Victims will be informed about services and resources that are available on-campus and off-campus.
  4. Changes in the victim’s academic, living and/or employment situations will be made upon request when such changes are reasonably feasible.
  5. When the alleged offender is a faculty member or non-faculty employee, the offense will be referred to the Vice President for Academic Affairs and the Director of Human Resources.

What Happens When The Accused Offender Is A Student?

The accused will:

  • be informed of and have access to campus resources for medical, counseling, and advisory services;
  • be fully informed of the nature, rules and procedures of the campus judicial process and given timely notice of all alleged violations within the complaint, including the nature of the violation and possible sanctions;
  • granted a hearing on the complaint, including timely notice of the hearing date, and adequate time for preparation;
  • granted a discipline committee comprised of representatives of both genders;
  • granted a decision based solely on evidence presented during the judicial process. Such evidence shall be credible, relevant, based in fact, and without prejudice;
  • given the right to appeal the findings and sanction(s) of the Discipline Committee, as described in the discipline appeal section of the Student Handbook.