Feb 21, 2024
Designed to provide a comprehensive training degree for students interested in piano performance and further graduate sudy. A combination of basic musicianship, general studies, and a concentrated emphasis in all aspects of the piano, including pedagogy, composition, and accompaniment experience are required.
University Core and General Education Electives
University of Mobile’s undergraduate program is comprised of the College of Arts and Sciences, College of Health Professions, Alabama School of the Arts, Grace Pilot School of Business, and School of Education. All University of Mobile undergraduate students are required to complete certain basic courses that apply uniformly to the Bachelor of Arts degree, the Bachelor of Science degree, the Bachelor of Science in Nursing, and the Bachelor of Music degree unless otherwise noted. These are identified as basic course (general education) requirements.
Requirements (Please see NOTES section below)
- Consult with your College/School advisor for specific and/or additional requirements relating to general education courses. For example, COM 101 is required for business, Christian studies, and education majors and teacher certification students. MA 110 is required for all majors in the School of Business. Education majors and teacher certification students have very specific requirements, particularly regarding English, Mathematics, History, and Laboratory Sciences.
- UM 101 University of Mobile 101 (1 semester hour) is required for new freshmen and transfer students.
- Students earning a Bachelor of Arts degree must also complete twelve semester hours of a foreign language. See specific requirements in the World Languages section of the catalog.
- Students earning a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in Performance must also complete six semester hours of a foreign language.
- Students earning a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in Studio Art, or Graphic Design must also complete six semester hours of a foreign language.
- Students earning a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in English, Creative Writing must also complete twelve semester hours of a foreign language.
- Students earning a Bachelor of Science degree in Management must also complete PSY 201. Students earning a Bachelor of Science degree in Marketing must also complete AR 226.
- Primary Ensemble: Piano Ensemble (8 sequential semesters, required)
- Secondary Ensemble: ASOTA is nationally accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music (NASM). In order to remain in compliance with the accreditation agency, music majors are required to participate in large and small ensemble experiences. Therefore, ASOTA suggests a minimum of 4 sequential semesters of a small ensemble in addition to the required 8 sequential semesters of a primary/large ensemble.
NOTE: ASOTA scholarships also require participation every semester a student is receiving scholarship dollars beyond primary and secondary standard ensemble requirements.
Hours to Degree
124 hours are needed to graduate with a Bachelor of Music in Piano Performance degree.