Feb 21, 2024
For a major in biology with teacher certification, a student must follow the curriculum specified in the State Department of Education program.
University Core and General Education Electives
University of Mobile’s undergraduate program is comprised of the College of Arts and Sciences, College of Health Professions, Alabama School of the Arts, Grace Pilot School of Business, and School of Education. All University of Mobile undergraduate students are required to complete certain basic courses that apply uniformly to the Bachelor of Arts degree, the Bachelor of Science degree, the Bachelor of Science in Nursing, and the Bachelor of Music degree unless otherwise noted. These are identified as basic course (general education) requirements.
Requirements (Please see NOTES section below)
- Consult with your College/School advisor for specific and/or additional requirements relating to general education courses. For example, COM 101 is required for business, Christian studies, and education majors and teacher certification students. MA 110 is required for all majors in the School of Business. Education majors and teacher certification students have very specific requirements, particularly regarding English, Mathematics, History, and Laboratory Sciences.
- UM 101 University of Mobile 101 (1 semester hour) is required for new freshmen and transfer students.
- Students earning a Bachelor of Arts degree must also complete twelve semester hours of a foreign language. See specific requirements in the World Languages section of the catalog.
- Students earning a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in Performance must also complete six semester hours of a foreign language.
- Students earning a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in Studio Art, or Graphic Design must also complete six semester hours of a foreign language.
- Students earning a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in English, Creative Writing must also complete twelve semester hours of a foreign language.
- Students earning a Bachelor of Science degree in Management must also complete PSY 201. Students earning a Bachelor of Science degree in Marketing must also complete AR 226.
Biology, Secondary Education
All students must complete the following courses:
For Students Seeking Secondary Certification
Students must receive a C or higher on all the teacher education (TE) and major (teaching field) courses:
Natural Science Secondary Methods
Student teaching and edTPA Professional Development Seminar (TE 423 and TE 433 ) must be taken during the student’s final semester after all other coursework is completed.
Students may only register for one additional course (TE 433) during the semester of student teaching.
Please refer to the School of Education section of this catalog for more information regarding program admission and student teaching guidelines.
Hours to Degree
125 hours are needed to graduate with a Bachelor of Science degree in Biology, Secondary Education (6-12 Teacher Certification).
A minor is not required.