Philosophy for the Alabama School of the Arts
In keeping with the general philosophy of the University of Mobile, the Alabama School of the Arts seeks to engage its students to embrace learning and to develop confident Christian men and women who demonstrate the integrity to live and work in a manner consistent with the Christian faith. Thus, the intent of the Alabama School of the Arts is reflected in the phrase, “Know and be Known”
The student will demonstrate knowledge of:
- Theory, form and analysis, and principles of arranging.
- Music history, styles, and literature of Western and non-Western cultures.
- The relationship of music to the other arts.
- Theatre history, performance practices, script analysis, design, and technical theatre.
- Perform, design, or direct while learning to collaborate with other artists.
- Business of theatre, marketing, and theatre company structure in the world today, as well as how theatre relates to other art forms.
- Visual art media.
- Writing and oral presentations specific to the visual arts.
- Appreciation and understanding of various periods of art history.
The student will demonstrate the ability to:
- Perform at an advanced level in one applied area;
- Perform in a variety of primary and secondary ensembles;
- Play a keyboard instrument with sufficient skill for basic demonstration and simple accompaniment;
- Interpret representative works of the past and present and perform them with a proficiency that reflects an understanding of the historical style of the music.
- Perform, direct, stage manage, and design at a level commensurate with the current professional world.
- Demonstrate proficiency in a variety of visual art media.
- Express themselves professionally and effectively.
Departments of the Alabama School of the Arts
Department of Art
Department of Music
Department of Theatre
Department of Worship Leadership
Alabama School of the Arts Scholarship
Students desiring admission to the Alabama School of the Arts are encouraged to complete the University of Mobile’s application for admission. Prospective Alabama School of the Arts (ASOTA) music, worship leadership, theatre and musical theatre majors and minors are encouraged to schedule an appointment for an audition by calling 251-442-2551 or completing an online application found at www.umobile.edu/audition. Scholarships will be awarded for the Bachelor of Arts in Theatre, depending on the area of emphasis, through combination of interview, portfolio, and audition.